weekly LancsLee's 52s for 2018 - Another catch up - Week 11 - Wet

I like the urban grot feel to this. I also prefer the first version over the crop.

I like the first one better it gives more context to the gate

Gate(d) - as the others have said the first image tells more of a story, nice find.

Well seen, well captured, I'm with the others, the first gives it context

I'm with the first one Les. That looks so depressing; well found(y)

Thanks all, comments are much appreciated. I might try and set a goal of meeting as many of the themes as possible with images taken around the town.

I find the 1st one very busy, but better than the 2nd cropped version, Very grotty, not a place to linger by the looks of it.

Pete

Good shot Sir, both work well for me but if I had to choose I'd go for #1.(y)

George.

.... barred & blocked off window with extractor, graffitied blocked up doorway .... #1 for me.

gate...nope. original image works for me, good to see Phoebe and Ashlee is still hanging around blocked up doorways... though i do feel sad as the first thing i thought of about your week 0 was "i've got the same office phone" :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I find the 1st one very busy, but better than the 2nd cropped version, Very grotty, not a place to linger by the looks of it.

Pete

Good shot Sir, both work well for me but if I had to choose I'd go for #1.(y)

George.

.... barred & blocked off window with extractor, graffitied blocked up doorway .... #1 for me.

Original works best for me - more gritty ;)

gate...nope. original image works for me, good to see Phoebe and Ashlee is still hanging around blocked up doorways... though i do feel sad as the first thing i thought of about your week 0 was "i've got the same office phone" :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Gate
#1 for me too.

Thanks for all of the comments, much appreciated.

I prefer the wider crop, I think the bricked up door adds to the photo

Thanks guys. Always a bit twitchy about taking photos in stations and airports these days.

Plenty of people going about their business.
I agree with you about taking photos these days with out someone sticking thier nose in.

Pete

Good photo for the theme, I might crop just a smidgen more off the top.

Ah yes Euston, I thought I recognised it. Far better than the train wreck of shots I got at Waterloo Tuesday night (relegated to the bin, they were that bad due to the lack of light).
That does seem incredibly quiet for Euston on a weekday. Was it after the morning rush?

Good photo for the theme, I might crop just a smidgen more off the top.

I tried that initially but was torn between cropping to just above the Boots sign and losing the departure signs on the upper right. Should have really used a different lens but it was a rush job.

Ah yes Euston, I thought I recognised it. Far better than the train wreck of shots I got at Waterloo Tuesday night (relegated to the bin, they were that bad due to the lack of light).
That does seem incredibly quiet for Euston on a weekday. Was it after the morning rush?

Yep, around 11:15 am. I'm down there every week and try and avoid the Euston peak time sprint like the plague, but this was strangely quiet even for that time. I had a carriage to myself all the way to Crewe.

Plenty of People in that I like that you have a high View point

I like that photo, great PoV. You could have used a slightly slower shutter speed so that the people would be more or less blurry depending on their movements... Not the busiest I've seen Euston station though.

Lots of People from a good vantage point and uprights are good. (y)

Plus one really...

I like that photo, great PoV. You could have used a slightly slower shutter speed so that the people would be more or less blurry depending on their movements... Not the busiest I've seen Euston station though.

Lots of People from a good vantage point and uprights are good. (y)

Thanks guys. Bernd, I was also surprised how quiet it was, even for mid morning. I try and avoid peak times and to be honest it's now cheaper to travel 1st class off peak and stay over than to pay peak time prices from Manchester. Less stress as well.

David, verticals are a bit of an OCD subject for me. I still have a large format camera which has probably instilled in me a dislike of converging verticals, unless it's deliberate.

Week 3 - Stark. Had some decent snow this morning so had to get out quick before the rain came. With the moors around this area being utilised predominantly for sheep farming this isn't an uncommon sight.

Edit -- tweaked to remove the blue cast as noted by Dave70D below.

DSC06885 2 by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great photo, well framed and you did well to get the exposure right!

Love the area shot, its a bit like my corner / office

Gate picture, I prefer the first, lots of detail and give a real sense of the urban decline so common in the inner cities.

People is good also, different perspective to the norm.

Stark is a great capture of the sheeps head and the exposure is well done as Bernd says.

Thanks guys, and I did notice a bit of blue when uploaded. The joys of working on two different screens, one of which is uncalibrated so will give it a tweak and re-upload.
I did try it in black and white as well as colour, but not sure if the green colour of the head loses something in b&w. Here it is.

Stark b&w by Lee Turner, on Flickr

Last edited:
A stark reminder of the hardships of winter although this sheep might have come a cropper last winter!! Nice image, I personally prefer it in colour. The moss at the bottom of the skull makes you wonder how long it's been there!!

Good find and really good for this theme, I generally favour colour but in this case the mono seems starker, nicely done

Cracking shot and yes - mono all the way!

Back