South-West England Lands End sea stacks

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
No
First 'real' post so I hope I get the 'tone' right. Next week, I will be doing a workshop in Cornwall which will include a visit to Lands End. One of the subjects we will explore are the sea stacks. In order to help with my packing, can anyone tell me if it is possible to get down to the shoreline to photograph these (in which case I will pack some water shoes and protective socks)? Or, are you doing it from the cliff edge? I've been to Lands End once but the weather was so bad,our only goal was to find a warm cafe :) I didn't explore any paths. And, my workshop leader is traveling so I can't ask him.

I think you can get down to the shoreline, but I am going there tomorrow so if no-one gives you a definitive answer will check it out.

Thanks. I fly out from Canada around 2000 UK time on Tuesday. Any insights would be appreciated. Enjoy your trip - hope you don't get ice pellets.

Here's a link to the place's contact page. They MIGHT have someone answering the phone today but I rather doubt that there will be anyone in until Tuesday morning (Easter Monday is a public holiday here in the UK and the office might be closed.)

https://landsend-landmark.co.uk/contact/

Looking on Google Earth, it looks like the shoreline is rocky rather than sandy so a decent pair of grippy trainers might be better than water shoes and protective socks. Take a spare pair of shoes and socks in case of unexpected foot/water interfaces!!!

Whatever you do, don't be a newspaper headline ... take great care! :)

Oh Yes :) I'm quite risk-averse about heights. I had fun walking the cliff section of the Cleveland Way - there was only one 30m segment that I refused to walk and did a detour. But, I was very careful. Great advice.

I usually get down to places where one isn't really supposed to and that is actually not one I would even dare to think about. There are serious tall cliffs inhabited by cormorants and other sea birds. The views from the top are more than good enough.

It is a glorious sunny day here in Cornwall and I am off to Lands End today will let you know tonight, good advice above about safety, I spend much of my life on Cornish Cliffs (throwing model gliders off) and they can be treacherous. Hope you get time in your trip to get to Cape Cornwall a few miles away, a great spot often ignored by the hordes!

I'll add to my own thread. Last night, I caught a documentary about a cruise ship which stopped at Falmouth. They followed a group who went on a shore trip to Lands End (on a day with blue skies and warm temperatures). Having seen the shoreline (very rocky) and tall cliffs, I doubt that I would be interested in going to sea level even if we were allowed. Looking forward to Baloo's scouting report too; maybe there is a secret router :)

As for Cape Cornwall, I got there 2 years ago with a group that was walking part of the Coastal Trail. Very nice spot. Unfortunately, the rest of the group were into 'fitness walking' not photography. So, I didn't get much chance to explore it (and there was rain and mist too). Not sure if it will be on our agenda for next week.

Hi Nick, there is a way to get down to the shoreline but the guy in the information centre told me it is really only for experienced rock climbers! All the photography groups he sees stay at the top on fairly well trodden paths. Hope this helps. Have a great time in Cornwall, the weather forecast is looking very changeable for the end of the week with strong southerlies on Wednesday and particularly Thursday so you might get some spectacular seascapes.

Roger

Thank you very much for checking that out. Makes my decision easy: I don't fall into the 'experienced rock climber' category.

I got back from my England trip a few days ago (I am starting to recover from the jet lag). The trip was good and Cornwall is a great area of a photography workshop. We had lousy weather - dark overcast skies nearly every day. Lots of chance to take bluebell and other inland images. We had one decent sunset, which we spent at Lands End. As reported here, we didn't try to go to the beach (you really need climbing gear to do that). Instead, we walked about a mile along the cliffs (past a farm) to an exposed cliff with a great view of a large sea stack and Longships lighthouse. A great view. We did a lot of long exposure images. Worked out fine.

Thanks again for the advice.

Glad you had a good (and safe!) trip.

I was in Cornwall last weekend - glorious weather with a few clouds scudding around to add interest to the blue skies. Sorry! (We were at Bodmin so a few miles East of Lands' End.)

Back