Landscape/Astro

Edit My Images
Yes
Some images I took over the bank holiday weekend in Dorset. I was considering switching from my newly purchased Z6 over to Sony after buying the Z6, however I decided against it and invested the money in to camping equipment for future wild camps and a star tracker. So I can use my gear instead of it sitting in a rucksack. I then decided on a trip to Dorset and to shoot some Milky Way shots as it something ive always wanted to do. Managed to test the tent and things too. Shared these in the Nikon Z6 thread but figured not everyone visits there.

Durdle Door

Pulpit Rock

Portland Bill

Last edited:
When I zoom in on the first one it really does feel connected to the milkyway, as if I'm stood there looking at it in person.

absolute belters if you ask me.
When I zoom in on the first one it really does feel connected to the milkyway, as if I'm stood there looking at it in person.

Thanks for the comments.

Cracking shots, nicely taken and processed. The lighthouse shot must have given you some pain to take and process.

Yes it was, the hardest part was the starburst/glow around the top of the lighthouse. I had originally thought of beams from it, but blending the sky and the glow around the top of the lighthouse was difficult with masking. I manually masked most the image, I was trying to learn luminosity masks or blend if. But wasn't getting my head round it and results. Im amateur with PS other than the basics, Ive just updated the image with a slight Orton effect just around the glow, I think it blends better now.

Last edited:
great shots
what are the pink / purple specs in the first shot ?
Likely long exposure noise.
I've noticed it with my G80 on long exposures. There's a setting for long exposure noise reduction in the menu that helps correct it.

great shots
what are the pink / purple specs in the first shot ?

I think they are nebulas, I have no idea about astronomy, but I think its gasses they give off the colours I don't think our eyes can pick up the colours but sensors can? Someone correct me if im wrong.

love the shots well done. Are these taken with a star tracker? or are the stacked?

Thanks

Durdle Door sky is 8x 60sec @1600 f/4 tracked and stacked.
Portland Bill is 1x 375 sec tracked exposure 1600 f/4.

I used the Star Adventurer Mini to track.

Last edited:
I think they are nebulas, I have no idea about astronomy, but I think its gasses they give off the colours I don't think our eyes can pick up the colours but sensors can? Someone correct me if im wrong.
It could be star halos.
It it was noise/pixels I think they'd be red, green and blue.

Okay so I downloaded stellarium to work out what they are.

The brightest/largest yellow point is Jupiter as a starting point.
Then down diagonally to the left (most bottom pink spot) Lagoon Nebula.
Next one up to the left is the Omega Nebula.
The one just above that is the Eagle Nebula.

Durdle Door sky is 8x 60sec @1600 f/4 tracked and stacked.
Portland Bill is 1x 375 sec tracked exposure 1600 f/4.

I used the Star Adventurer Mini to track.

Thanks. Very nice I have done some astro shots but nothing like this.

Back