Critique Landscape cliché or beginners luck?

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
My 'thing' is wildlife/birds, but I got a call from a fellow wildlife tog on Boxing Day suggesting that we get up early to attempt something different - sunrise on a beach! The thought of getting up at silly o'clock to walk over a beach in the dark didn't appeal much, but neither did wasting a (short) public holiday in front of the telly wearing a dressing gown. So, alarm was set for 6am and by 7.30, I had parked-up and walked a mile with my gear across sand dunes on a dark beach. It was also very cold - one to two degrees, with a virtually clear sky.

I've never tried to take a serious / planned landscape shot and have always relied upon just clicking a button at a well known location such as the Queens View in Perthshire. The thought of actually heading out somewhere just to snap a view has been an alien concept, until yesterday! I extended my tripod, stuck the camera on top and adjusted the frame using live-view. I had positioned myself for the stone(s) in the foreground and this is what worries me about the cliché aspect. It works, but I've only learned to do this from looking at other peoples shots here. The next half hour was spent adjusting settings and guessing which would work best for an emerging sun in the centre of the frame on a dark beach. I'd normally use Manual mode for birds, but found that Apperture Priority allowed more flexibility for adjusting the exposure. Probably very lucky to catch a light pillar just as the sun was rising - a reflection of light from small ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere. A passing ship, just off the bay, added a bit to the shot too. The one thing that bothered me (at the time of clicking the shutter) was a fairly central horizon which might go against the rules. It doesn't actually trouble me at all with the finished article, but let's see what others think. All in all, I hope it's a reasonable result for an amateur who would otherwise have still been in his bed on a public holiday.

EOS 1Dxii, 24mm, F8, 1/40s, -1ev, ISO400.

I've had a lot of positive (social media) comments about this shot in the past 24hrs, including some from unexpected sources. However, I'm not looking for smoke to be blown up my behind here - I'm asking for some hard critique from folks who will probably know a hell of a lot more about landscape than I do. Please feel free to nit-pick and constructive comments will be taken with gratitude. ;)

17402-1482942271-8721be2a0e771f0bcc1fa237df77c7cc.jpg

Hi, for me I would be inclined to crop some of the left hand side off and lose the other Boulder as well as giving the whole shot a more letter box style by losing some of the unnecessary sky. This would IMO put the rock on the third and a more pleasing composition.
Also if possible raise the shadows to give some detail back to the rock but hey I like it well done.
That's just my opinion for what it's worth

The above were my thoughts too. The shot itself is excellent, but the large rock should be more of a focal point and with more detail with such a wide angle used. Lovely colours.

Hi, for me I would be inclined to crop some of the left hand side off and lose the other Boulder........
...the large rock should be more of a focal point and with more detail with such a wide angle used. Lovely colours.
Just a quick crop and change of aspect:

17413-1483016383-2cb1e3a1cfee8632b39a64479158f1d2.jpg

Difficult to extract more detail from the rock and I'm inclined to think that this has become too much of a focal poiint now, rather than the light pillar. Difficult one to call..... :thinking:

preferred the original. i just see the dark rock on the crop. the original is a lovely shot in my book.
Thank-you gremlin16. I'm with you on this, I think! Despite breaking 'the rules', I believe that the extra rock provides more balance to the shot, and the triangulation with the vessel at sea works better (for me at least).

Really nice. For me I'd have stepped to the right more got that large rock in the left of the frame and use the water for the reflection. Also the ship on the horizon keep catching my eye.

I ticked like, because I do.
I would crop most of the sky by placing the horizon on the upper third; for me, it creates a balanced panoramic.
Looking at your list of camera gear, I consider it strange you are asking for critique in this genre; - I'm viewing you as being into the more advanced group, or extremely fortunate...

I consider it strange you are asking for critique in this genre; - I'm viewing you as being into the more advanced group, or extremely fortunate...
There are lots of guys with Ferrari's who can't drive for tuppence! ;)

As I said in my opening post, this is the first time I have ever gone out with an express intention of shooting a landscape. The 24-70 was my first L-lens purchase a long time ago, but it's rarely been used, other than for aurora shots. There's no way I should go into any advanced landscape group. I asked for critique because I really had no idea of what I was doing. Took about 80 shots in total that morning with varying exposures and framing. This one just stood out for me and I'm glad you like it too. I'd be happy to think my bird shots would qualify for an advanced accolade, but I'm sure others would differ there too! :LOL:

Back