Landscape @ f1.4

are you happy that the verticals and the horizon is straight?

just looks very slightly "off" to me

Last edited:
are you happy that the verticals and the horizon is straight?

The horizon is definitely straight, used the sea on the left as a level before I cropped it out, the verticals on the castle might be a bit squiffy.

I should maybe have had a wonky horizon too just to complete the set of broken rules :)

I clicked through to the Flickr page and it looks very fuzzy.

Looks straight to me.

Edit

Just clicked through again and it isn't fuzzy. Don't know what happened the first time.

Last edited:
I kinda like the central composition, it can work for this shot IMO.
I'm also a fan of the 1.4 landscape flex too, with a foreground like that, it can certainly work well.
I'm not a fan of the pushed blacks feel to the processing though. While I think it is really neat for situational portraits, I am not so sure for a traditional landscape shot.
I'd like to see more contrast to the scene for my taste, Not necessarily tonnes, but I think it needs the blacks lowering, or a dose of contrast adjustment, just to bring it to a more natural look.
Other than that, Im liking the f1.4 look, I've used it a fair bit myself, and I feel it can work well.

BAD BAD BOY DANNY!! :rage:

Rules are there to be broken as the saying goes. I like the OOF seaweed in the foreground although I think you could cut off a little at the bottom (more of a 10x8 crop?) and the overall composition works. I think it needs a touch more contrast though - looks a little flat?

I kinda like the central composition, it can work for this shot IMO.
I'm also a fan of the 1.4 landscape flex too, with a foreground like that, it can certainly work well.
I'm not a fan of the pushed blacks feel to the processing though. While I think it is really neat for situational portraits, I am not so sure for a traditional landscape shot.
I'd like to see more contrast to the scene for my taste, Not necessarily tonnes, but I think it needs the blacks lowering, or a dose of contrast adjustment, just to bring it to a more natural look.
Other than that, Im liking the f1.4 look, I've used it a fair bit myself, and I feel it can work well.

Cheers Matty - yeah my artsy-fartsy processing is a bit marmite - I agree it could maybe do with the blacks.contrast boosting a bit in this case, especially in the top half.

BAD BAD BOY DANNY!! :rage:

Rules are there to be broken as the saying goes. I like the OOF seaweed in the foreground although I think you could cut off a little at the bottom (more of a 10x8 crop?) and the overall composition works. I think it needs a touch more contrast though - looks a little flat?

I feel naughty :)

I'll definitely try the crop!

With some stormier clouds I think this could be amazing. I do quite like low to the ground low f number landscapes. I find walls work well but that might just be me...

Yep - pretty much agree with above. The low level helps the low f number. A more dramatic sky would of helped too.

Good shot though :)

I clicked through to the Flickr page and it looks very fuzzy.

Looks straight to me.

Edit

Just clicked through again and it isn't fuzzy. Don't know what happened the first time.
I got the same. On here it looks fuzzy, and also did in Flickr. It was only the second time I loaded in Flickr that it didn't look fuzzy

I suppose, considering the poor light, you had to do something to make it stand out :p

Seriously, its a decent shot, but I would have been tempted to bring the sky down a little to make it more dramatic and maybe a boost on the colours. Composition wise its looks good to me and it the castle itself seems sharp to my eyes.

...and so started the legend of The Ghost of Flickr and the Fuzzy Wuzzy pictures.

Not commenting on light etc. but I do like shallow depth landscapes and this one works pretty well for me, perhaps a more distinct foreground would have been better.. some of those lovely sea-worn pebbles they have in the sea there perhaps. I think if you have an identifiable background subject having a sharp foreground and blurring the background can also be very effective

Simon

Back