Landscape, or Portrait Pairs

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
It's not very often in this genre we get the chance to make basically the same frame in both orientations, with wildlife. The buggers run off or move. So I thought it might be of interest to share such a chance and maybe have a chat about preferences, I've not really sharpened these just tried to present the same not really for critique just how they differ and what that makes you lot feel I guess. If anyone else has anything simialar bung 'em up it might be fun to compare the two frames made by the same guy same place etc etc not just hares................... anything bird or beastie wise

Do any of you never use portrait?
Do any of you prefer landscape because it's physically larger on a screen?
do you prefer one over t'other for any other reason than what's inside the frame? can you give me a reason?
Just some random questions i'm curious about that came from looking at the same thing in two ways

Maybe if others joined in it might be fun and thought provoking I do know this doesn't happen that oft, but this can't be that rare either:) you lot make loads of images

_S2I6260 Sitting hare pr L smj Dn by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_S2I6261 stinng hare pr P smj Dn by
Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

PhilD you are banned mate:LOL::LOL::LOL:, LMAO i'm joshing sorry buddy.:)....................... Phil and I used to take the mic out each other relentlessly about this., so banter is welcome too!1

So please add to these lads and lasses if you can and maybe we all then come back and say why we like one over the other only with respect to what the framing has done

sort of a bit of fun to make us think about framing...................... the pair must be one vert one landscape as similar as possible to each other,

seeya

stu

Hi Stu, I shoot in portrait mode quite often. Sometimes it's because I wanted it in that particular format (for a mag cover shot for example) and sometimes the image just calls for it. Not always easy but it helps to preserve the resolution to the max. Saying that, we're working with wildlife and sometimes in a fleeting moment you just have to grab what you can and then crop. The downside of this is that you lose half the image/resolution. I'd imagine if you're not doing this for a living it wouldn't have matter very much, as most images I see are posted online anyway so the file size is tiny. You can usually tell when an image has been heavily cropped though. Hope this helps.

PS. In your examples the landscape looks much better, not least because the hare sits too much to the left on your portrait capture. If you're after a 'portrait' of the subject, then that would be the preferred mode. Landscape tends to lend itself to show more of animal in habitat.

Last edited:
It's "horses for courses" of course, Stu! So much depends on the subject in the image, and the environment in which the subject is located. For example, in your Hare shot above, my strong preference would be for a landscape crop to show off more of the Hare's local environment - it somehow "fixes" the image and gives it context.

Russ
P.S. I'll dig out some of my shots and see what people think looks best.

Personally, I like the landscape format pic. Cos as mentioned, it gives the image context and setting, more than the other crop. It's a creature in an environment, not just a creature on it's own. Works a lot better for me, that.

The space on the right with the landscape crop sits better with me. Wonderful shots btw. (y)

The space on the right with the landscape crop sits better with me. Wonderful shots btw. (y)

See I like the portrait - draws you into the subject more and if he wants to sell the picture the negative space at the top lends it's self well to a cover shot.

I shoot both orientations - depends on the subject and intended use for the picture.

As promised Stu, here's my contender for crop consideration:

Portrait, as already posted on Bird Forum:
Sharpen AI-46.jpg

Landscape for comparison:
B59I1838.jpg

For me the Portrait mode works better in this image, as there is little environmental context in the Landscape mode to justify all that space to the right hand side.

Russ

Hey guys apologies for the slow reply, bit busy of late.

Des it's a shame I let the side down with the portrait image I concur the hare is too close to the LHS

Personally Ii find my self arguing over the two frames I posted it's all about the RHS side me. The veggies running away RHS really add depth to the landscape image but I really like the much sharp much effect of the portrait image, thanks for the thoughts every one and especially you Russ for popping up the next pair although I sort of wish there were some comments on those aswell Russ, but hey things take time :)

Russ lovely pair of images,you make some lovely frames buddy !! for me in your pair it's the portrait image that floats my boat,The shape of the subject suits the frame so much better. the landscape just has too much neg space for me, it doesn't serve any purpose , so much so that i'd guess it's already been cropped?

As above if anyone else wants to add pairs bring it on:).

many thanks for the above

stu

Personally Ii find my self arguing over the two frames I posted it's all about the RHS side me. The veggies running away RHS really add depth to the landscape image but I really like the much sharp much effect of the portrait image,
Portrait mode is for portraits i.e. the subject, and landscape format is for, well, landscape i.e. environment. There's a reason how the names came to be :)

Yeah.............. but................. I wouldn't realise that Des :LOL: (y) I make loads of portraits in landscape,:) but not many landscapes in portrait....it's up there somewhere isn't it bud? ^^^^

anyway.....

Portrait is where ya go when the damn thing keeps coming :exit:

Just a couple of examples, Stu. The portrait shot would not have benefited from being in a landscape format and vice versa.
portrait.jpg

landscape.jpg

Agreed, ^^^^^

oh an as an aside you make some lovely images Des,..................... ha, I've told you that before haven't I ;):D I'd have a smudge more "mush"( hangs head in shame) on the base of the landscape. those back lit ears in the portrait are "too die for"............... they win!!

Buddy the two frames are slightly left field of where I was sort of pitching this as they are possibly not taken, same animal, same place, similar time frame?

That said the motive behind all this was me trying to get us talking about composition.framing making the choice which orientation to use How choices effect the results. I was looking for a fun way to get us talking on framing mate, simple as, So didn't come with any preconceived ideas

Des ,my reasoning behind the pairs of images being similar time and place was it limits the number of things other than the framing, that might affect our preferences. In the digi world we have so much freedom to crop, I oft wonder if the "art" of framing is being lost. Maybe that's too extreme but hey. The base things are always an area I feel I can improve upon. there's an art to getting it right in camera framing wise........ especially birds and beasties Chances can be hard won and gone almost before one had time to think . So there is a need to hone and "see" an image very quickly in the view finder ......... a skillset to learn,

Which is sort of why we are here. mate to talk about our niche in image making............. share ideas. I'm a simple guy bro I am not really bothered about same time same place, I wanted to spark a chat about how we frame images within preddy much all nature togging and folks to run with that:)

I like that portrait !! :cool: That's an absolute corker!! it wouldn't be that without those ears rim lit against that dark bkg though, that separates the two more than the framing for me ..

Back