Staff member
Edit My Images
Yes
poty16_landscape.jpg

We are proud to announce the results of the

2016 LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHER OF THE YEAR

Congratulations to our Winner

@cannockwolf

Perfectly captures the explosive power of Mother Nature. Some of that drama could have been lost had the photographer used a faster shutter speed and diluted some of the movement in the waves. The zigzag wall works as a perfect lead in to guide your eye through the scene and B&W enhances the overall feel of the environment. Does the horizon lean to the right a bit? Not enough to ruin the image.​

Power. Grit. Drama. Noise. All words that this photograph projects. It is such a powerful shot enhanced by very good B&W processing that has made this a stand out shot. The zig-zag of the wall take you into the shot, even more so because they are clear of water and spray, making a clear path to the end…almost! A slight tilt and the vignette in the bottom right can be forgiven here - the rest of the photograph is strong enough to get your attention and keep looking.​

Landscape photography is one of the most common subjects as its more accessible than many and less scary too (you don't have to talk to a landscape!), yet like Portraiture it can easily be stunningly pretty or show grit, power, mood etc. too. This shot is all about the power & drama of a storm and Man's attempt to not be bullied by it. The zigzag leads you into the action superbly and both the B&W conversion and timing are spot on. Is it tilting to the right? Well maybe a wee bit, but not so much as to detract overall. Well worth a soaking​

In 2nd Place is

@MattyW

From one extreme to the other, this is a beautifully serene image. The fence leads your eye through to the island which could have been lost had it not been for the mist separating it from the mountains in the background. Brilliantly seen and captured by the photographer. The little splashes of colour from the lights and posts lift the image from what is essentially a monochrome scene.​

A beautiful shot from Derwent Water and the mist and ice/snow all combine to portray a cold and frosty tranquility contrasting with the light on the island which gives a sense of warmth and security. The island is naturally framed and the viewer’s eye is gently taken into it by the fence in the water, showing a great use of a natural lead-in​

In stark contrast to our winner this image is simply beautiful and serene. The mist hiding the background is helping frame the centre island interest and adding to the peace, as is the flat water. The lead-in element of the fence and detail throughout is superb. As a cold toned image it is lovely, but capturing the merest hint of warmth in those lights depicting warmth & sanctuary of 'home' raises the image to a higher level​

And in 3rd place is

@Michael Batten

It's a classic. Corfe Castle at sunrise. I've seen it done before but rarely as well as this. Having tried a similar shot myself a few years back you either have to live nearby & keep an eye on the weather forecast, live miles away, get up very early & keep an eye on the weather forecast or get very, very lucky. You don't get long before the sun gets too high and you lose the ethereal light. The combination of that light, the mist, the early sunlight and a perfect composition create one of the landscape highlights in this years competition.​

The mist hanging in the valley whisping through the trees creates a mystical backdrop for Corfe Castle with the backdrop of the warm sun breaking through and almost parting the clouds. A lovey tonal range that has avoided lot of saturation often seen in dawn/dusk shots. This has given a well composed and nicely balanced end image.​

I'm guessing this is Corfe Castle shot on a misty morning, a shot seen many times before - but so what! Stunning locations in stunning weather are great to shoot no matter how many others have done it, and this is a lovely example of this rich landscape scene. What makes it special is the toning and clever capture of the Sun too, so easily blown in such shots. Often people refer to such images as having a timeless quality, but here the author has left in the plane trails so telling us this is in fact a very modern image, nothing wrong with that either. Great capture well processed​

Last edited:
Name
Allen
Edit My Images
Yes
Im slightly confused with the winner , Is that not a seascape ?

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
The winner is a VERY powerful image but were there any stipulations about composite images in this competition?
Not to my knowledge. Remember LPOTY 2012 and the disaster that met the OP with that. He had won, then it was discovered/unearthed the image was a composite and lots of wailing and knashing of teeth it was awarded to someone else.

Name
Jeremy Moore
Edit My Images
No
Not to my knowledge. Remember LPOTY 2012 and the disaster that met the OP with that. He had won, then it was discovered/unearthed the image was a composite and lots of wailing and knashing of teeth it was awarded to someone else.
Yes, I thought the name rang a bell so I had a quick look in the archives.

nc_killie

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
The winner is a VERY powerful image but were there any stipulations about composite images in this competition?
Excellent images, all three.

A dumb question - How can you tell that the winner is a composite?or have Imisinterpreted something??:confused:

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Excellent images, all three.

A dumb question - How can you tell that the winner is a composite?or have Imisinterpreted something??:confused:
I think Dave said so in his original sharing thread, it does look kind of too epic as well!

It doesn't bother me. For anyone that it does ask yourself this; what difference is there between taking a series of shorter exposures over a period of time and blending them in Photoshop compared to putting a 10 stop filter on and exposing the scene multiple times over in one shot for a similar passage of time?

The result is quite different but the principle is he same. Photography is about conveying a mood or telling a story and if an ND filter lets you do this, or if blending a sequence if shots makes a more complete story and captures an extended memory then great. This is key because if you were standing on this pier during a storm and thought back to it I imagine you would remember lots of waves crashing all around you. Not just one that a single frame would show...

cannockwolf

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
the frames were less than a second apart, for me its the same as HDR yet nobody complains they are composites yet there is no difference between the two, a technique that captures what the eye sees but the camera cant without a bit of technical assistance

nc_killie

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
the frames were less than a second apart, for me its the same as HDR yet nobody complains they are composites yet there is no difference between the two, a technique that captures what the eye sees but the camera cant without a bit of technical assistance
Cheers - I am not complaining, just trying to learn! Cracking image,however!

Status
Not open for further replies.