Landscape Printing..

Name
Cathy
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning everyone!

Can I ask you all what size you use or prefer to use when printing your landscape images. Also when you get them printed where do you purchase your frame from. I was looking in ikea but they dont have any landscape type frames. .I want mine in landscape format. eg 30 x 18. Thanks in advance.
Cathy

The size you print depends on the location you are putting it and/or your viewing distance and the effect you are trying to achieve.

There might be two approaches - you could decide what format and size you want the prints, and source frames to match (which could get expensive), or you could source standard frames and size your prints to suit. But ready-made mounts (and frames) for some unknown reason are more likely to suit 3:4 than 3:2.

You could always buy cheap charity shop paintings for frames that you liked, throw out the trashy paintings and cut your own mounts. Just check that the paintings aren't by Turner or Constable first.

Last edited:
I was looking in ikea but they dont have any landscape type frames. .I want mine in landscape format. eg 30 x 18.
What on earth is a landscape format frame? I have yet to see a frame that cannot be hung either way.

I mostly print my landscapes at A3 as that sells better for me. I buy cheap frames from a local shop on the basis that the customer probably wants frames that fit their home decor.

If I'm printing myself, I print images on A3 paper at 15x10inch image size. I buy 40x50cm frames from Hobbycraft for these.

If I want bigger, I order something like 40x60cm from Photobox and get the 50x70cm frames from Hobbycraft, which are really quite big and not bad value at £25.

[QUOTE=" Just check that the paintings aren't by Turner or Constable first.[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh..

What on earth is a landscape format frame? I have yet to see a frame that cannot be hung either way.

John it is my bad description of what I am looking for.I guess I should have said it is for a kind of panorama print.It is for the two images below. I have only ever printed three of my landscape images for my own home so don't have a lot of experience getting them done.

Misty morning on Loch Shiel by Cooriedoon, on Flickr

Isle of Arran Scotland by Cooriedoon, on Flickr

If I'm printing myself, I print images on A3 paper at 15x10inch image size. I buy 40x50cm frames from Hobbycraft for these.

If I want bigger, I order something like 40x60cm from Photobox and get the 50x70cm frames from Hobbycraft, which are really quite big and not bad value at £25.

Thank you Andy this is helpful. I will pop on the Hobbycraft site and have a look.

Do you have a local framer? That might be what I'd do for these two. And so what if it was £50 each? Aren't they worth it?

I'd check out a local framer if you don't get anything that matches exactly you need. These are beautiful images.

Have a think about the size for the location, think about having the mount border sizes correct and then see the framer.

Last edited:
I'd check out a local framer if you don't get anything that matches exactly you need. These are beautiful images.

Have a think about the size for the location, think about having the mount border sizes correct and then see the framer.
Jasmine thank you good advice. I was thinking about the width being about 30 inches especially for the one of Arran.The other one I will have printed 40x60cm as suggested by Andy.

Another vote for sourcing custom frames locally. Standard sizes are relatively easy to find but for odd sizes you'll need a bespoke fitted service.

Back