Landscapes in a flat land

Name
Toni
Edit My Images
No
But y'know, I love where I live, even though there are no mountains or lakes. Shot over a couple of mornings on the way to Bicester Tesco for Saturday shopping.

Frosty Nov morning eclectic set-07928 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Frosty Nov morning eclectic set-07930 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Frosty Nov morning eclectic set-07937 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Frosty Nov morning eclectic set-07942 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Ardley Fields 1 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Ardley Fields 2 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Cloud generator by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

Ardley Fields 3 by Toni Ertl, on Flickr

C&C welcome - I am SURE these won't be to everyone's taste.

Very similar to the landscape around here, Lincolnshire isn't know for its mountains either!

Try to shot much earlier than that. I prefer that time when the sun is not up yet, but the light is quite for recognizing everything ;)

Try to shot much earlier than that. I prefer that time when the sun is not up yet, but the light is quite for recognizing everything ;)

I have done pre-sunrise, but generally prefer a low sun for adding shape to the landscape.

How is Moscow at the moment - not cold enough for snow I heard recently.

Last edited:
Looking at the lay of the land of your back yard it appears to have ample opportunities for landscape photographs. As all locations it's just a matter of using what's available to your advantage. Lochs and glens, mountains and dramatic coastal regions are all very well but they're not the be all of landscape photography. Besides, they get a bit boring after a while. I think you have a location which would make strong simplified minimal compositions very appealing.

I love the light in this one in particular, Toni. Great set. Much more interesting than my route to the local Tesco!

Glad you like it Geoff, and thank you.

Looking at the lay of the land of your back yard it appears to have ample opportunities for landscape photographs. As all locations it's just a matter of using what's available to your advantage. Lochs and glens, mountains and dramatic coastal regions are all very well but they're not the be all of landscape photography. Besides, they get a bit boring after a while. I think you have a location which would make strong simplified minimal compositions very appealing.

Thanks Scott. It's a lovely place, and I'm still learning how best to photograph it, and the simplified approach is what I hope to acheive.

There is interesting thing - no snow at all. We had about 0 +5 during all December and you know - I like it ;)

That does NOT surprise me. :)

Sorry - these are too flat, bar maybe the 1st one but the subject is just to meh to get any real feeling from.

Some places just don't photograph well...this is one of them

Steve - I know this isn't for you, but thanks for taking a look. :)

One of the things I want to do is find a way of making photos that show places that are 'normal' without astonishing light (though if i can have that too then I'm very pleased) but still have some value in them. I like and enjoy each pic here, but quite understand that they aren't like some of those amazing mountain images or reflections you've taken.

The first stands out as a good composition in lovely light. I guess photos of the flatlands without astonishing light can be superb, but the light needs to be right without being dramatic. Some of Charlie Waite's pics do this. And there's that guy Constable....

That looks a lot like my area, you have to work very hard to get anything you like. As mentioned minimal shots can work pretty well, Paul Hart comes to mind for what can be achieved. I like 1 and 4

Number 5 appeals to me Toni, although I think I'd crop the right hand side off it, lose that close tree, so maybe take it off to the distant telegraph/powerline pole, and it makes it a lovely simple image with nice light and contrast for me.

It's an interesting set and I think I like #3 the best. #5 is reminiscent of something @Ed Sutton might turn into a project :) but feels a bit out of place amongst the others

It's an interesting set and I think I like #3 the best. #5 is reminiscent of something @Ed Sutton might turn into a project :) but feels a bit out of place amongst the others
#3 surely? :thinking:

I have much sympathy with the problems of photographing a flat landscape, but this area looks almost hilly compared to where I live! There has to be a way to make interesting pictures in it if you keep trying. (y)

The first stands out as a good composition in lovely light. I guess photos of the flatlands without astonishing light can be superb, but the light needs to be right without being dramatic. Some of Charlie Waite's pics do this. And there's that guy Constable....

Thank you John. Constable :police:

That looks a lot like my area, you have to work very hard to get anything you like. As mentioned minimal shots can work pretty well, Paul Hart comes to mind for what can be achieved. I like 1 and 4

Cheers feller - I'll look him up.

Number 5 appeals to me Toni, although I think I'd crop the right hand side off it, lose that close tree, so maybe take it off to the distant telegraph/powerline pole, and it makes it a lovely simple image with nice light and contrast for me.

Thanks Martin. 4 and 5 are my favourites from the set, and that's a good call about the crop on the RHS.

When I saw the sign in number 3 it made me think of Dave immediately.

#3 surely? :thinking:

I have much sympathy with the problems of photographing a flat landscape, but this area looks almost hilly compared to where I live! There has to be a way to make interesting pictures in it if you keep trying. (y)

Thank you. I was stood on a bridge over the M40 for these. ;)

I think you have some big airport(s) near you. I would make the very best use of them. Honestly. God didn't create all landscapes equal, but then as you say it may be a nice place for living...

I think you have some big airport(s) near you. I would make the very best use of them. Honestly. God didn't create all landscapes equal, but then as you say it may be a nice place for living...

Or the motorway out!!! I’ve always liked the phrase “you can’t polish a turd” - in this case why try make the uninteresting appear interesting. Why not just go somewhere nice and interesting.

Thank you. I was stood on a bridge over the M40 for these. ;)

I almost said that getting elevation can help, but realised you had from the perspective. I've considered taking a pair of step ladders. :D

It's not the landscape being uninteresting that's the problem, it's finding the imagination to make interesting pictures of it which is tricky. They will be there.

Although there won't be universal agreement on their level of interestingness.

@ancient_mariner don't be disheartened by those suggesting only mountain reflections in flat lakes in dramatic light make for good landscapes. I see plenty of those as a camera club judge and many are just so cliched they are both striking and dull, quite an achievement :D

Landscapes can be just as valid, artistic and interesting in showing the relatively mundane, the 'real' places people live & work; in this sense I find both 2 & especially 3 exceptional. Keep it up :)

Dave

Last edited:
I think there's scope to zoom in on some of those furrow details, really simplify the shot and perhaps go back when there's even better side light. For example where the straight furrows intersect curved ones. Make a mental note to go back when the seedling crops emerge because they will emphasise the patterns as well.

I think there's scope to zoom in on some of those furrow details, really simplify the shot and perhaps go back when there's even better side light. For example where the straight furrows intersect curved ones. Make a mental note to go back when the seedling crops emerge because they will emphasise the patterns as well.

I was out walking yesterday elsewhere and noticed these furrough patterns. I think there's been a local change of equipment, and the marks left behind are different from how it used to be. Good call on the closer view and also seedlings. (y)

Back