Lang`s short-tailed blue

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
Hia ll,
Well lucky me I found another new one for the records, a Lang`s short-tailed blue, Its been a great year with finding and photographing all these new to me butterflies.
Sadly I didnt get a shot with the wings open :(
Your thoughts please.
Also available on my Flickr
View attachment 42729

Your thoughts please.

The posted version has a very long tail at the bottom end, but bringing up the bottom end doesn't bring up the eye. I think it has lost all detail. The wings look rather light to me, and a bit lacking in detail, but I think bringing the highlights down reveals some more detail (or makes it more easily seen at least). Our visual tastes are rather different I think and so I don't know how you would like the balance of this to look, but just as an illustration of the sort of changes I think might be made here is a screenshot from Lightroom. (EDIT. Looking again: too far perhaps - too dark.)

NOT MY IMAGE - Graham Butterfly in Lightroom
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

Last edited:
The posted version has a very long tail at the bottom end, but bringing up the bottom end doesn't bring up the eye. I think it has lost all detail. The wings look rather light to me, and a bit lacking in detail, but I think bringing the highlights down reveals some more detail (or makes it more easily seen at least). Our visual tastes are rather different I think and so I don't know how you would like the balance of this to look, but just as an illustration of the sort of changes I think might be made here is a screenshot from Lightroom. (EDIT. Looking again: too far perhaps - too dark.)

NOT MY IMAGE - Graham Butterfly in Lightroom
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr
Cheers nick, I don't use LR, my pp is with GIMP and I always use the colour curve to brighen or darken things in a shot, I did infact darken the body and lighten the outer parts I think.
Another programme I use is a Microsoft programme to help with sharpening.
As you say, we all have different tastes but I'm happy for others to have a play.

I really like the OP version tbh... are the inner wings amazing then cause the outside are great.

Colours way better than recent posts lol ;)

I really like the OP version tbh... are the inner wings amazing then cause the outside are great.

Colours way better than recent posts lol ;)
Cheers bryn, the inner wings are blue, with this shot I upped the sats just a tiny tad :)

I think thats a cracking image graham! This is where i would use layer masks to get the best of both worlds!
Cheers very much Neil, image layer, total gobaldygook if you ask me, no idea what that is ;)

Beautiful really nice looks good on my small screen
If they are like the blues that we get in the uk the colours are about right they are quite pale

Back