Critique Langale Sunlight

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Here's a photo from last December in the Lake District, taken with the Fuji X-E1, XF10-24mm. It's a single shot, handheld, 1/100s at f/11.

The first version is how I did the post processing at the time, sticking with auto white balance, Velvia preset, boosting the blue in the clouds and doing my usual getting carried away with the contrast and colours. :)

Recently though I've been playing a with less over the top processing (the second pic below.) This time I went with the Astia preset, a warmer white balance, less extreme contrast and a lighter look overall.

I'd be very interested to know what you all think, which you prefer, etc! :)

Little Langdale by brggsy, on Flickr

Little Langdale (take 2) by brggsy, on Flickr

Lovely light and colours. Excellent shots[emoji106]

Beautiful composition!

I'm viewing on my IPad which doesn't portray colours accurately but at the moment the first looks great.

Admittedly whe I get to my calibrated screen then I think it may well move across to the second.

Nice shot Andrew
I think the answer is something like middle ground between the two!
If I give you my thoughts on both hopefully it will be food for thought:)
No1 I think this is not too far off... If I made some changes I think the clouds are just a touch too heavy (but i'm talking a Tad!), and the greens are definitely too neon:eek: even in the sunlight, I'd back off the saturation on the greens, they always tend to saturate very quickly. The wall and the foreground in No2 the lifted shadows, are much better, but don't overcook them, Maybe a little more in No1 but less than No2. so you can see the detailThe hillside to the right under the peaks looks ok in No2. Not sure what programs you are using but I'd use some selective processing (dodging and burning).
I think the answer with processing this shot is some gentle selective adjustments rather than a global raising of the exposure. I'd say No1 is a tad under and No2 is a tad over.
At the end of the day its all down to personal preference and this is just one persons view Andrew. Of course if you really want to let the cat out of the bag you could post the SOOC shot :eek:.
All the best
Steve

Thanks all (especially Steve!), that's really useful advice. I'll have another go at something in between the two when I get some free time.

I'd be up for posting the RAW, but I'd prefer not to post the full size image. Does anyone know how to convert a raw into a lower resolution file (but still raw)?

Its a great view, with amazing light! I think I prefer the second as the colours match what I think the scene would have looked like. Great stuff though!

I like both images its up to you how you feel the image should look, would have preferred the sky held back a bit possibly a ND filter to hold back the sky.

All the best

Last edited:
The second for me Andrew.
The light across the whole scene just looks more natural.
It's a beautiful view.

Back