Laptop Card Reader Set-up

Name
Seba
Edit My Images
Yes
Thought I would share my new laptop card reader set-up with you lot after finding some handy little right-angle USB cables on Amazon.

I had been having trouble when shooting outdoors in the wet while using my iCap and the two card readers plugged in to the side of the laptop, CF and QXD (which I've only just started using after working giving me a D5) as they wouldn't fit inside and I would have to turn the laptop sideways. Very annoying. So I finally followed what my colleagues have been doing for ages and put the readers on the back of the screen of the laptop using some velcro.

I'm sure many of you will have already been doing this in some, but I have to say these little right-angle USB cables are great.

WhatsApp Image 2018-04-11 at 13.59.47.jpeg

Have you tried shooting tethered? I shoot Canon with the EOS Utility, but I'd have though Nikon would do something similar.

Notwithstanding - you may need to move about!

Last edited:
I never shoot tethered. If I'm going to send in any from the camera, it's going straight to the picture desk with a voice caption.

Shoot sequence. Lock the files I want. Card out, in the reader, back into camera. Caption and send. I feel that extra wire between camera and laptop would only get in the way, especially as they usually come out the left have side of the camera, and I have the laptop to my right.

Have you tried shooting tethered? I shoot Canon with the EOS Utility, but I'd have though Nikon would do something similar.

Notwithstanding - you may need to move about!

tethered isn't great for many reasons and to be honest.. not much faster than lock'n'load method... amazing what a time saver the card reader stuck to laptop is though haha.. so simple but effective and the difference between needing two hand and one to insert card which also is a big help..

Only use Photo Mechanic to ingest. Then we use another program with work, FotoStation. Auto Ingest on PM, with the main window closed means just the ingest progress bar pops up and disappears once it's done. Caption and soft crop in Fotostation and send to the picture desk. Done.

Does photo mechanic auto import all of your RAWs as soon as you plug in an SD card? I'm lazy and would like to find a way to autoimport all my images off of my SD card into a predefined folder without doing anything after inserting my SD card. I have a PC

Back