Yes

Cobra

Just not pink enough
Staff member
Name
Phitt, Hissy Phitt
Edit My Images
No
known by a variety of regional names, but still a lovely wader!
I see loads of these around here, usually in flocks, in fields, so I'd never have taken them for a wader!
Every day's a school day!

Nicely captured Russ (y)

OP
OP
Rustydon
Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
I see loads of these around here, usually in flocks, in fields, so I'd never have taken them for a wader! Every day's a school day! Nicely captured Russ (y)
- Thanks Chris - Yep, waders they be, but their numbers are in decline due to loss of habitat (so you're lucky to see loads!) :)

Russ

Cobra

Just not pink enough
Staff member
Name
Phitt, Hissy Phitt
Edit My Images
No
but their numbers are in decline due to loss of habitat (so you're lucky to see loads!) :)
Although I see them to a greater or lesser extent, most of the year, There are certain fields around here that have flocks of 100+ But (Normally) in the spring.
Maybe its a good nesting area? or possibly returning migrants?, although MK is about 100 miles from the south coast as the bird fly's.
TBH I've never really thought about it until now..

OP
OP
Rustydon
Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
I believe they are mainly migratory Chris, and move south to France / Spain to over-winter, then return to the UK to breed in the spring. The problem is they are ground-nesting and subject to predation so breeding has become problematic for them. You're lucky to see large flocks (one of the benefits of being in MK ;)).

Russ