Lapwing / Peewit / Pyewipe .....etc

Very nice shot, with a good pose and some nice colours.

George.

I do love to photograph these birds- they are thousands on the Levels

The iridescent colour on the plumage is so lovely - very nice shot Russ

Les :)

known by a variety of regional names, but still a lovely wader!
I see loads of these around here, usually in flocks, in fields, so I'd never have taken them for a wader!
Every day's a school day!

Nicely captured Russ (y)

I see loads of these around here, usually in flocks, in fields, so I'd never have taken them for a wader! Every day's a school day! Nicely captured Russ (y)
- Thanks Chris - Yep, waders they be, but their numbers are in decline due to loss of habitat (so you're lucky to see loads!) :)

Russ

but their numbers are in decline due to loss of habitat (so you're lucky to see loads!) :)
Although I see them to a greater or lesser extent, most of the year, There are certain fields around here that have flocks of 100+ But (Normally) in the spring.
Maybe its a good nesting area? or possibly returning migrants?, although MK is about 100 miles from the south coast as the bird fly's.
TBH I've never really thought about it until now..

I believe they are mainly migratory Chris, and move south to France / Spain to over-winter, then return to the UK to breed in the spring. The problem is they are ground-nesting and subject to predation so breeding has become problematic for them. You're lucky to see large flocks (one of the benefits of being in MK ;)).

Russ

Back