lapwings flock

Name
chris
Edit My Images
Yes
lapwings i belive
2853676257_a49c0ea1bc_o.jpg

2853676345_bf36d1889b_o.jpg

Yep. Lapwings, Peewits or toowits, whatever you want to call them.

Maybe not the best pics in the world but great to see just the same. When I was growing up in the Glen we had hundreds of them nesting in some rough pasture land in front of the house. I used to watch there acrobatics for ages. Now none nest there though nothing has been done to the land.

to be honest i took 6 shots, all were same or worse,but there was a large group poss 100+,
i went to the lake to practise bif,

there was no keepers. grey white sky refection on the water,giving it a glare, and me not getting them into focus,i think due to been to slow or birds too far,wrong shutter seed or something
felt like throwing cam + lens into the pond

Last edited:
Chris, birds in flight is difficult to master, i`m still trying to perfect it.......:bang:

Don`t lose patience, it is difficult......(y)

to be honest i took 6 shots, all were same or worse,but there was a large group poss 100+,
i went to the lake to practise bif,

there was no keepers. grey white sky refection on the water,giving it a glare, and me not getting them into focus,i think due to been to slow or birds too far,wrong shutter seed or something
felt like throwing cam + lens into the pond

Look on the bright side. You saw a flock of Lapwings. That is something I have not seen for years. Do not throw your camera away either as it is obvious that you are interested in getting it right. We have all felt like that from time to time. Next time try to concentrate on just one bird & focus on it. Try to pan with the action too.

Chris the exif is showing 1/80 as shutter speed, you need way more than that mate. The aperture shows 7.1 and ISO at 320, try opening the lens up and /or upping the ISO to achieve a faster shutter. You could try using Av or S priority rather than Manual as well.

Not preaching because i`m no expert, but these changes may help.

cheers ,it all hleps,

Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/200Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F8.0
Metering Modes
Spot
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
Lens
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
Focal Length
300.0 mm
IMG_0147Medium.jpg

ill go back up later ,same setting but faster shutter 5-1000

Last edited:
Great to see all those lapwings. I too used to see them on regular basis, but it's years now since I've seen one.

No need to sling that camera and lens away, your obviously improving and learning at a goodly rate :)

went up this mornning,another try
2854980751_c77bf5530c_o.jpg

2855814782_2b2b82d4e1_o.jpg

2854980687_d9dcbc6947_o.jpg

Keep at it! I'm sure they'll improve, but practise practise practise is the way to go...

That second image looks well over sharpened mate

Good effort though!

thanks, spec on second pic
Tv(Shutter Speed)
1/80Sec.
Av(Aperture Value)
F7.1
Metering Modes
Spot
Exposure Compensation
ISO Speed
nowt done to it,such a not good pic