Large white

Lovely shot Janny and its the same over here in the sunny south of France, whites everywhere and even more small skippers, more than I have ever seen.

Just delicious, Jan! (y)(y)(y)

Nice composition and exposure, Jan :)
- We also have quite a few Whites about, and the Peacocks are now becoming quite numerous after many Small Tortoiseshells over the last few weeks. It's great to see the species change in the garden as the months go by! I even had a Humming Bird Hawk Moth here the other day - but moved too quickly for a decent photo.

Russ

Many thanks guys. Large whites aren't my favourite, but when there's nothing else about...........I've been out walking this evening and seen small tortoiseshells, red admirals and maybe peacocks, plus the usual gatekeepers and meadow browns, but almost none in the garden yet. Russ, I had a hummingbird hawk moth dipping the phlox the other day, but they don't hang about!

Lovely shot Jan. Its been a disaster butterfly-wise here on Crete ( well in my area at least), very few about.

Lovely shot Jan. Its been a disaster butterfly-wise here on Crete ( well in my area at least), very few about.
I'm in the south of France, it's been a strange 3 to 4 years weather and bug wise.
2 and 3 years back the cigales were very low, so much so that it was possible to hear just 2 or 3 at any one time, last year they exploded and much the same this year they are everywhere.
The butterflies are later than other years due to the crap weather here this year but now the sun has decided to appear properly they have also decided to come out with some species more than others but 2 weeks ago I was in the pre-alps, a notable drop in many species compared to the same week last year.
I'm sure next year if the weather settles down then we will see a marked improvement with butterflies everywhere.
Sorry to hijack your thread.

Lovely photo Jan! The direction of the lighting illustrates nicely just how '3D' the wings are, rather than being completely flat.

Here in N. Yorkshire, many butterflies are having their best year in ages, with very high counts of some species. Driving back this morning from visit to the moors, I noticed lots of whites (mainly Small White), all heading inland from the coast which suggests we've had an influx from the Continent.

Dave

Back