East Anglia Last Call Cambridge Meet Wed 18th Sept (confirmed)

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
After the recent very pleasant London meet up seems a shame not to try another photo wander, so how about Cambridge,
Compact city with some interesting sights, more than enough "eccentrics" (no, not me before anyone says it) for the street people.

Thinking mid September when the language students have gone and just before the colleges start up again
Weekdays are best, always tourists about, but much worse at the weekend, so how about provisionally Wednesday 18th September
Good rail links now Thameslink goes direct from south of the river, fast service from Kings Cross and not so speedy from Liverpool St too.
Pretty decent from other parts of East Anglia and the North via Peterborough, non existent from the West though

Dates are flexible with me and no doubt others, so if anyone has a specific choice we can probably accommodate them
So, who fancies it?

Count me in!(y)

Wednesday the 18th of September is fine with me, though I could fit with any time except the weekend of the 7th/8th.
It's been 25 years since I was last there, so not sure whether I'll drive or get a train, and since I was a cyclist back then, I'm unsure of what the parking situation is like nowadays....though no doubt I'll figure it out!

By the way, if there's anyone thinking of travelling from the Norwich/Norfolk area (long shot, I know!) I would be more than happy to offer a lift if I decide to drive.:)

Some really great shots there.
I'm particularly liking the skateboard shots, and the hipster in the bowler.
Count me in!(y)

Wednesday the 18th of September is fine with me, though I could fit with any time except the weekend of the 7th/8th.
It's been 25 years since I was last there, so not sure whether I'll drive or get a train, and since I was a cyclist back then, I'm unsure of what the parking situation is like nowadays....though no doubt I'll figure it out!

By the way, if there's anyone thinking of travelling from the Norwich/Norfolk area (long shot, I know!) I would be more than happy to offer a lift if I decide to drive.:)

Parking is very expensive, park and ride is best bet, also lots of roadworks with the new A14 works.
When I go to Norwich I always travel by train, regular service, reasonably priced and surprisingly comfortable trains too

Parking is very expensive, park and ride is best bet, also lots of roadworks with the new A14 works.
When I go to Norwich I always travel by train, regular service, reasonably priced and surprisingly comfortable trains too

Thanks Rich, that's good advice.
I'll probably get the train, so unfortunately I'll have to withdraw my offer of a lift.

I would possibly be interested, but tbh I still need to spend more time getting over to Norfolk really!

Interested, will depend on work though so will know nearer the time.

Lots of good stuff to photograph!

There is some free parking I use not far from centre. Just off Huntingdon Rd (main road in from A14 if coming from the west) - three roads, Halifax, Richmond and one other (may be Oxford) are unrestricted and 10 mins walk from centre.

I haven't attended any forum meets yet, but this sounds interesting as it's only an hour away, and though I've visited Cambridge a few times I haven't taken any photos there. Subscribed to thread and will see what happens.

Might be able to make it. Depends a bit on the start and end time too.

I'm still interested in this meet up too.

It's a couple of weeks away from the 'provisional' date of the 18th September, but I'm flexible and can meet at any time really!

@PatrickO - I too am in the Norwich area (near Acle actually), and would be more than happy to share or drive there.
I was thinking I'd hop on a train, but again, I'm flexible.

It's been a considerable time since I was last in Cambridge (25+ years ago), and I don't have any idea of parking, so your knowledge of free city centre parking would be very handy!

I'll continue to watch this thread with interest.

The provisional date looms large, have we any takers?
Not sure for anyone coming by train if there are times that need adhering to for cheaper fares.
How does a meeting time of 10.30 -11.00 in a central coffee shop sound?

Please bear in mind i'm no expert guide, know my way round from working there and living nearby for a few years.
Any requests or suggestions gratefully received on what to see and photograph
My thing is for art deco as you may have noticed from a recent thread
Not an abundance of that in Cambridge, but a couple of places I might try to visit

Last edited:
How about meeting at the Fitzwilliam museum coffee shop. Some good opportunities for shot in the musuem and fairly central for other locations.
10.30-1100 is good for me.

Count me in!(y)

10.30 - 11.00 is good for me too.
@PatrickO and I will probably share a car now, so I won't need to book tickets for the train.

It'll be great getting out of my 'comfort zone'...I've never really done anything architectural, so I'm looking forward to expanding my horizons.

Look forward to meeting up with you folks in Cambridge.:)

Excellent, Fitzwilliam coffee shop on Wed 18th between 10.30-11.00

See you then, might be best if we exchange mobile numbers just in case of delays getting there

Anymore takers?

My thing is for art deco as you may have noticed from a recent thread
Not an abundance of that in Cambridge, but a couple of places I might try to visit

There's a derelict/boarded up Deco cinema on Hobson St, Cambridge CB1 1PJ
Hope this streetview link works, sadly there's a bus in front of it but might be worth a look?
https://goo.gl/maps/5UrUhMMGGaY19yYk8

There's a derelict/boarded up Deco cinema on Hobson St, Cambridge CB1 1PJ
Hope this streetview link works, sadly there's a bus in front of it but might be worth a look?
https://goo.gl/maps/5UrUhMMGGaY19yYk8

Thank you, I know where that is, tried to take a photo a while back, its a very narrow road
Might give it a go with my widest angle lens, need plenty of space around it to correct the verticals

Here was my last rather poor effort, uncorrected and taken with a 24mm focal length
Got a 16mm now, so will hopefully see how that works out, couldn't be much worse

DSCF2211 1.jpg

Last edited:
@AMcUK link works well, thanks.(y)
Interesting building, though I didn't see the bus on streetview!

Love to have a peek inside!

My widest lens is 24mm, and on a crop sensor Canon too, so I definitely won't be getting anything like your image Rich.
I very nearly bought the Canon 10-18mm...I probably do need something wider than my 24-105mm.

Last edited:
I'm ~ 2 hours away in North Essex, & might be able to make it. I've been meaning to visit Cambridge for a while :)
I'll have to check with the boss, especially as my co-worker has been travelling round a lot recently..

If I do come I'll be driving up via Ipswich & should be able to offer a lift to anyone along the A14 route.

Last edited:
I'm ~ 2 hours away in North Essex, & might be able to make it. I've been meaning to visit Cambridge for a while :)
I'll have to check with the boss, especially as my co-worker has been travelling round a lot recently..

If I do come I'll be driving up via Ipswich & should be able to offer a lift to anyone along the A14 route.

Hope you can make it, the more the merrier and looks like the weather will be kind to us

Holiday request approved so providing I’m not out too late Tuesday night should be ok to meet up. Planning to use park and ride, and walk from the bus stop to the cafe.

@GarethB - could you try taking several photos of the cinema and stitching them together afterwards (in Photoshop or similar). Might get better results using a tripod/monopod, but should also work handheld.

@GarethB - could you try taking several photos of the cinema and stitching them together afterwards (in Photoshop or similar). Might get better results using a tripod/monopod, but should also work handheld.

That could work, good suggestion @vtecsilver thanks.
I was thinking I would like to travel light, but as is usually the case, I will undoubtedly pack everything I own...just in case!:giggle:

Glad you're able to make it too, should be a good day!

Holiday request approved so providing I’m not out too late Tuesday night should be ok to meet up. Planning to use park and ride, and walk from the bus stop to the cafe.

From Trumpington P&R the bus stops in Trumpington St a bit further up from the museum.
All the others go into the city centre at various places, none that far away.
If you are coming into Cambridge from the north on the A14 they also have a sign for a Cambridge P&R at St Ives
This is a bit further out than the others, but it does mean you miss the long section of roadworks.

Hopefully see you there on Wednesday

I was thinking I would like to travel light, but as is usually the case, I will undoubtedly pack everything I own...just in case!:giggle:

These days are usually a mix of those who bring a big old bag of gear and others like me who take the minimalist approach
No right or wrong way, just interesting to see what people do bring and then use

That could work, good suggestion @vtecsilver thanks.

Glad you're able to make it too, should be a good day!

No chance of me bringing everything the cars not big enough!
I'll probably settle for the MFT kit giving me a good range of options without too much weight, but my DSLR is another possibility that's readily to hand. It's time I gave the Sony's a break :rolleyes:

I ought to point out I now have a lot less hair than in my Avatar - I assume none of the rest of you look quite like your avatars either, but I used to look like mine...

Still time to come along, but four or five is surprisingly good for one of these meets
Usually have loads of interest and end up with two or maybe if you're lucky three
Last London meet was the exception, think that was about nine, excellent for a midweek outing
This one is looking good though, helps its going to be a nice day

Could make a good atmospheric image
Thank you, I know where that is, tried to take a photo a while back, its a very narrow road
Might give it a go with my widest angle lens, need plenty of space around it to correct the verticals
@AMcUK link works well, thanks.(y)
Interesting building, though I didn't see the bus on streetview!

Love to have a peek inside!

Ah ha the bus is on the Streetview from November 2018 -it's gone on April 2019 and the weather is better - not sure why SV defaulted to an older image for me.
It's a lovely looking building, a shame it seems out of use from at least September 2012 - the earliest SV image I can see.

P727031620190727_054 (Large).jpg

This was my effort, a grab shot taken on a rainy day back in July while walking from one pub to another on my brother's stag do!

Have fun, I'd have been interested in coming along but I have way too much dull work to do and a school run in the early afternoon :(

I ought to point out I now have a lot less hair than in my Avatar - I assume none of the rest of you look quite like your avatars either, but I used to look like mine...

Don't think I ever had that much Barnet, certainly haven't now.

These days are usually a mix of those who bring a big old bag of gear and others like me who take the minimalist approach
No right or wrong way, just interesting to see what people do bring and then use

Probably just bring the D3200 and kit lens. Trying to decide whether to bring tripod.

@tijuana taxi - I'll be parking at the Newmarket Rd Park and Ride, so going by their website map, probably get off the bus at Drummer Street/Emmanuel Street and walk from there. Their website map confusingly shows this stop as "towards Newmarket Road" and not "towards Central Cambridge".
Don't want to take too much kit, so probably SLR with 2 or 3 lenses and a mini tripod - hopefully with a battery and memory card!! Would a flashgun get much use?

@vtecsilver That is the Red P&R to Madingley Rd, so yes Drummer St is the best place to get off.
Can't see you needing a flash, mostly outside and many places like museums prohibit flash anyway.
Battery and memory card is probably a bit more important

Look forward to seeing everybody tomorrow, always nice to meet fellow photographers.

Last edited:
Back