East Anglia Last Call Cambridge Meet Wed 18th Sept (confirmed)

If there is anything anyone is really keen on seeing we can sort out bit of an itinerary over the meet up coffee.
Just charged batteries and checked the camera hasn't acquired any unwanted settings.
See you in the morning and hope you all have a safe and delay free journey.

I've decided to bring my small MFT bag, it's a bit cramped with 4 lenses but covers most eventualities. Both cameras now have a clean 16GB card which should be enough. Spare batteries are on charge...
I'm going to try Simon's recommendation for parking if Google is correct I should arrive in plenty of time, but if there's no spaces and I have to move on to the park & ride timing will get tight (I'll phone if that's the case).

I've decided to bring my small MFT bag, it's a bit cramped with 4 lenses but covers most eventualities. Both cameras now have a clean 16GB card which should be enough. Spare batteries are on charge...
I'm going to try Simon's recommendation for parking if Google is correct I should arrive in plenty of time, but if there's no spaces and I have to move on to the park & ride timing will get tight (I'll phone if that's the case).

Only free place I knew was Lammas Land at Newnham, but that got full early on.
Just ring if you are running late, cheapest paid parking in the city centre is Queen AnneTerrace car park.

I think I'll take a risk and just bring one lens and spare card/batteries....don't think I'll want to lug my heavy tripod all over the shop!

@PatrickO and I shall be heading for the Lammas Land car park - link
I checked it out on the interweb, and it is no longer free unfortunately.
It is £5.00 for four hours, so not too bad, but an extra hour is another fiver, with anything over that costing £20.00 - max stay 8 hours!
There are only 76 spaces too, so I hope arriving at 10.30am ish isn't too late to get a space.
The walk to the Fitzwilliam museum looks reasonable, so all being well, we'll see you all there no later than 11.00am.

I think I'll take a risk and just bring one lens and spare card/batteries....don't think I'll want to lug my heavy tripod all over the shop!

It is £5.00 for four hours, so not too bad, but an extra hour is another fiver, with anything over that costing £20.00 - max stay 8 hours!
There are only 76 spaces too, so I hope arriving at 10.30am ish isn't too late to get a space.
The walk to the Fitzwilliam museum looks reasonable, so all being well, we'll see you all there no later than 11.00am.
The Trupmington park & ride is just £3 for upto 18 hours and includes the bus to the museum :)
It's relegated to my backup option only because the walk from Halifax road offers some photo opportunities to get me started!

Last edited:

Queen Anne Terrace is about the same price for four hours, but cheaper after that and 14 quid max.
Might be worth considering, lot more spaces too, one we use if going in by car.

@Petrochemist & @tijuana taxi - thanks Mike and Rich.(y)
Some good alternatives there.
Since my knowledge of Cambridge is mostly forgotten, I shall be relying solely on @PatrickO for his superior local knowledge.
I'm sure we'll find a space in one of the car parks nearby, or perhaps the park & ride.

Queen Anne Terrace...

Ahh, that's just round the corner from Mill Road isn't it?....I lived there for a short while many years ago (Mill Road...not the car park!!:D)....a row of terraces just past the railway bridge (can't remember the number)....I say 'live', it was more like dossing down on my mates sofa!!

Last edited:
Nice to meet everyone today, certainly lucky with the weather. Hope the journeys home went well. Maybe see you again on another meet, London next I reckon.

Thanks for arranging today Rich. Was good to meet everyone and was nicer doing street photography as a group rather than solo. The sunny weather made it a very pleasant day, will look out for the London meet and hope the weather is kind to us again.

Thanks for guiding us around Rich, a fantastic day well worth the effort!
Nice to meet everyone as expected a great bunch :)

Plenty more parking spots around bu the time I got back to Halifax Rd (Thanks Simon for the tip) but the two cars either side of mine hadn't moved so had another very tight wriggle getting out, the rest of the return trip was nice & smooth.
Now back to reviewing the images,,,,

Here one of Patrick servicing his lens to get us started:
P1380415bw.JPG

And a street view to remind us where we were:P1170287bw.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for guiding us around Rich, a fantastic day well worth the effort!
Nice to meet everyone as expected a great bunch :)

Plenty more parking spots around bu the time I got back to Halifax Rd (Thanks Simon for the tip) but the two cars either side of mine hadn't moved so had another very tight wriggle getting out, the rest of the return trip was nice & smooth.
Now back to reviewing the images,,,,

Here one of Patrick servicing his lens to get us started:
View attachment 255543

Looks like I'm trying to stab it to death :eek:

It was a very pleasant day indeed, some good photos too by the look of it
This building has defeated my widest lens, so this is the best I can manage with a single photo

seaside 11.jpg

It was a great day indeed, weather was very decent, and it was great to meet you all and talk photography!
Thanks to Rich for being a great guide too.
Already some terrific images, I shall get some of mine up here very soon too.

It was a great day indeed, weather was very decent, and it was great to meet you all and talk photography!
Thanks to Rich for being a great guide too.
Already some terrific images, I shall get some of mine up here very soon too.

Looking forward to seeing your photo of that bloke on the stall in Market St
Still think you could have managed one of our rather intoxicated sweary interloper, opportunity missed there

An ignominious end for a once proud building

pub 1.jpg

Last edited:
Great photos @PatrickO, @Petrochemist and @tijuana taxi!
My attempted pano-stitch of the cinema didn't work....after many tries, it just kept coming out way too wonky (plus I chopped a bit of the top off too :facepalm:)....I must get a wide lens!!

As threatened, here are some of my humble offerings...

Here he is Rich....the bloke on the stall, with a great moustache...
(No cloning out of bits of pie were necessary in the end!:LOL:)

camb 5
by Gareth Bellamy, on Flickr

Still think you could have managed one of our rather intoxicated sweary interloper, opportunity missed there

I'm regretting it already!
What's the worst that could have happened eh?!:D

Next up....

"...no, it's 'bread - filling - bread'..."

camb 6

camb 7

@vtecsilver - I decided to clone out the 'title' of the building after all....but left the bloke....good call mate!!;)

camb 4

camb 1

camb 3

Last edited:
Good set of photos there Gareth, the conversions to black and white are great, and I agree that Camb7 is really good.
Nice work capturing several "togs" Mike. The IR photos are an interesting effect, I'll have to ask a few questions about it later as I may consider giving it a go. Good timing with the heron although some of us thought it was a statue/sculpture at first!!

Nice work capturing several "togs" Mike. The IR photos are an interesting effect, I'll have to ask a few questions about it later as I may consider giving it a go. Good timing with the heron although some of us thought it was a statue/sculpture at first!!
Seemed to good an opportunity to miss :)
With a modified camera IR is easy to do but difficult to predict how it will look (especially without liveview). Some standard cameras can manage with just a R72 filter & LONG exposures - Canon tend to be poor for this though, their hot mirrors are too strong. In many cases old lenses work better than modern ones too...
With the heron it seemed statuesque when I shot it from the other side, I was very lucky to get it in flight - I think I've lost the very tip of it's beak & my battery went immediately after that shot, preventing any chance of a follow up.

Messed around on the PC sorting out a few of the photos I took, think I am halfway through them. I'm not totally happy with my methods for converting colour to black and white, but ran out of time tonight. A few are shown below:

One Bike Going The Wrong Way
48766241767_e185da23ac_o.jpg

There's An Event Coming Up
48765709533_8fd620e069_o.jpg

There's a McD Here!
48766242087_a50514f08a_o.jpg

Cycling Past 4 Old Phone Boxes
48765709778_c2f046609e_o.jpg

Cat Guarding A Bike
48766242152_b026c5e516_o.jpg

Other Photos on Flickr Album which will be added to later (assuming link works)

Last edited:
They are all good, knew you couldn't resist those golden arches!!

Good set of photos there Gareth, the conversions to black and white are great, and I agree that Camb7 is really good.

Many thanks mate!(y)

Great set of images there!
(The link works fine)
Your mono treatment looks fine to me, and I like the angles you picked out too, some very nice lines to lead the eye.
Nice use of selective colour too...I see you picked out the 'golden arches'....and the cats eyes works very well too.
#1 - 'One Bike Going The Wrong Way' is terrific...love the lines, the light and the shadows, nicely balanced.
#4 - 'Cycling Past 4 Old Phone Boxes' is very nice too...great use of 'reverse selective colour'...if that's the right term!:giggle:

@GarethB Thank you for your kind words, I try to get a line leading towards the bottom left or right corner, either when composing the photo or by cropping it later.
You must have good eyes to spot the cat's eyes so easily!! I like trying partial black and white conversions, though it doesn't always work very well.
"Cycling Past 4 Old Phone Boxes" - I initially only had the phone boxes in b&w, but decided to try and make the background appear from an older time!

A couple more photos, a tog of a tog, and the Art Deco cinema with some of the modern street clutter removed in pp

48769068906_f51b97c4ce_o.jpg

48768737143_aa059e9b90_o.jpg

Back