Last meal?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Spotted this Rabbit about to tackle an apple left on the grass, a closer look through the viewfinder showed it to be a victim of myxomatosis.
Still a lot of the disease about it would seem. :(

Mex.jpg

Nikon 1 V1 + 300 f4 PF + TC-14 EII

Yes the one on the lizard all had it this summer :( is that slimbridge I noticed lots of apples out there today :)

Yes the one on the lizard all had it this summer :( is that slimbridge I noticed lots of apples out there today :)
Yes Adam, that was from the Willow Hide ... our paths didn't cross today then :)

No didn’t see you today but did lookout as thought we might bump into each other again there, too many kids about today but guess it is half term

That rabbit may survive as resistance is developing to the disease. A very sad story really, mankind introduces the poor animal into a new country where it outbreeds its welcome (due to mankind having previously eradicated, or severely restricted the number of, several natural predators that might have controlled rabbit numbers), then mankind decides it wants rid of their mistake.

Mankind then discovers a disease that will give the offending animal skin tumours, fatigue, fever, and often blindness, and will take around two weeks or so to slowly kill them, and in their millions. When that eventually loses its effectiveness they find something else to do their dirty work for them (rabbit haemorrhagic disease). Every time I see a rabbit with Myxy it reminds me of the words of the poem about the natural environment that includes the lines: 'where every prospect pleases, and only man is vile'.

Last edited:
Reactions: RIR
That rabbit may survive as resistance is developing to the disease. A very sad story really, mankind introduces the poor animal into a new country where it outbreeds its welcome (due to mankind having previously eradicated, or severely restricted the number of, several natural predators that might have controlled rabbit numbers), then mankind decides it wants rid of their mistake.

Mankind then discovers a disease that will give the offending animal skin tumours, fatigue, fever, and often blindness, and will take around two weeks or so to slowly kill them, and in their millions. When that eventually loses its effectiveness they find something else to do their dirty work for them (rabbit haemorrhagic disease). Every time I see a rabbit with Myxy it reminds me of the words of the poem about the natural environment that includes the lines: 'where every prospect pleases, and only man is vile'.

I heard someone say that those who spend most time deep in the burrows are most likely to be affected, others escaping the infection ... I know not. :)

No didn’t see you today but did lookout as thought we might bump into each other again there, too many kids about today but guess it is half term
Visitors wandering all over restricted areas as well, one couple scattering everything in front of the Holden Tower by walking out of the walkway and up onto the bank ... then off across toward across the farmer's field toward the Zeiss Lake! :rolleyes:

Visitors wandering all over restricted areas as well, one couple scattering everything in front of the Holden Tower by walking out of the walkway and up onto the bank ... then off across toward across the farmer's field toward the Zeiss Lake! :rolleyes:
Have you ever done the summer walk in front of Holden tower through tower then right along and over bank around 1/4 mike to right and to and old ambulance they set up as a hide in front of estuary?

Mixi is carried by a flea which lives underground. Rabbits can and do live above ground particularly when numbers are low and then do not secumb to the disease. However when numbers increase,usually during the spring they move underground and then the disease developes over the summer and most evidence is seen in the autumn resulting in a population crash. It is always most obvious where,historically,there have been high rabbit populations like the Brecks in Norfolk. High up in west wales we only have a few rabbits and have never seen the disease in 15 years but see one or two rabbits most days. The population is probably controlled by a lack of food,inability to burrow due to rocky ground,natural predators-plenty of buzzards,kites,goshawks and foxes but mostly by the population of feral cats which is now in balance with available food.

Regen

Have you ever done the summer walk in front of Holden tower through tower then right along and over bank around 1/4 mike to right and to and old ambulance they set up as a hide in front of estuary?
I have done a couple of times but never gone at the right time to see much unfortunately.

No I think it’s probably all over on the left side where you are not allowed :( we cancelled our membership renewal yesterday as only been 3 times in the year and decided we much prefer Hamwall now and it’s half the distance for us too

No I think it’s probably all over on the left side where you are not allowed :( we cancelled our membership renewal yesterday as only been 3 times in the year and decided we much prefer Hamwall now and it’s half the distance for us too

I often think I will visit Ham Wall but get so much enjoyment from Slimbridge that I rarely take the plunge ... less options for an oldie to take refuge and shelter too! :D

I often think I will visit Ham Wall but get so much enjoyment from Slimbridge that I rarely take the plunge ... less options for an oldie to take refuge and shelter too! :D
Haha I can see why you like slimbridge and out of holidays it’s very good just Hamwall for us has great memories and easy to just chill by yourself and not see people if you don’t want to :)

(n)(n)(n)
As I remember (I've never done the walkway at the 'right time' either so rarely bother) there are some pretty obvious signs telling you not to go on the bank. What bit do these people not understand? I was in the South Lake hide once and two people walked across the back of the lake, fortunately without disturbing anything. I have no idea how you even get near there........

(n)(n)(n)
As I remember (I've never done the walkway at the 'right time' either so rarely bother) there are some pretty obvious signs telling you not to go on the bank. What bit do these people not understand? I was in the South Lake hide once and two people walked across the back of the lake, fortunately without disturbing anything. I have no idea how you even get near there........
Yep signs up everywhere.

The hide is neat as I guess its an old ambulance right on waters edge over the bank (but on the summer walk path to right not left !) and is signposted, good opportunities for HDR style photos if nothing is doing wildlife wise if that's your thing

Back