Last nights "epic" sunset over Severn Estuary from Rhoose Point

Name
Gareth
Edit My Images
Yes
Just about make it there in time!

Literally saw the light, shoes on, drove to the end of the village, got out, legged it to the beach and managed to get one image before the light faded. This all happened within a time frame of 5 minutes from seeing the light to being on the beach!

Pentax K3ii, DA* 16-50mm, 2 stop ND grad and C-PL
37076730372_489f1c36c8_c.jpg

37106007251_f8f901a2c1_c.jpg

37083927482_fb8a40fe24_c.jpg

You can see the light in the sky in the second and third has faded, shame as I like the compositions and it would of looked good

The first one has clearly two zones of treatment
that are not compatible, credible in the end result
and this is even more noticeable with the halo.

The second does not share the same dramatic
colours but is much more credible

The third one seems to beg for an horizontal tweak,
otherwise… very cool!

Last edited:
Here is a low resolution file from my phone I took on the way down to the beach. Obviously phone image so no filters or PP!

The sky in LR has been treated to a few tweaks but as global adjustments not brush so the halo I'm unsure about. I think I took the sharpening up pretty high before masking it off a bit. The brush was used in the foreground, the water, the rocks behind the water and also the cliff but even then in the cliff I made sure the adjustment brush didn't bleed into the sky area next to it. I'll have to check the file but if the brush hasn't bled into the sky then pass!

Attachments

• PSX_20170916_235245.jpg
    PSX_20170916_235245.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 11
I like the more subdued tones of the 2nd image, and it is my favourite of the set.

I think you will sometimes have problems with haloing where a clean, sharp, rigid edge meets softer tones. I got it on some of my images at Kilchurn a few weeks ago where the hill met the sky, if I lifted the shadows and pulled down the highlights too much. Did you pull the sky back at all Gareth?

Lovely set though.

Last edited:
Back