Studio Last pic of the year..

Hi Simon, I quite like the ruffled/tussled hair effect, but I find the necklace a it distracting.

Fair enough!
I thought the necklace tied the image together - the colours in it with the colours in the hair & makeup.

Don't get me wrong Simon - i'm certainly not in any way qualified to critique portrait work, but I saw it like that and it's all about opinion, right?

Hope you're not offended as I always feel a bit awkward critiquing

The neclace does tie it together, and as we have come to expect from your work it is very good, well lit, good skin tones, etc. In fact for me the green in the necklace could be a bit more prominent.

Don't get me wrong Simon - i'm certainly not in any way qualified to critique portrait work, but I saw it like that and it's all about opinion, right?

Hope you're not offended as I always feel a bit awkward critiquing

Not offended at all - I wouldn't have posted if I was expecting a uniformly positive response..

Hi Simon
Please don't put anymore up. Your standard is just too high for me to deal with :)
Liking the image very much. The subject is everything here she really does engage with the viewer. I think there is a term/slang for that look but I could be wrong.
Anyhow the colours tones makeup look great.
Course the lighting compliments and pulls the image together nicely.

Gaz

a crop to accentuate the eyes...which i cant see if are really sharp
the jewellery if not the subject...then clashes
equally the hair
guess its a universal shot which could be used for the two but with more sharpness and a bit of contrast
your background should be neutral...
all eyes are on her eyes...initially...that is where the signals come from
cheers
geof

As it's a make-up artist shot I think I would have cropped the necklace too. Her right eye looks less made up than her left eye and I don't like the wisp of hair down her forehead. Sorry.

Last edited:
juggler - I hope I don't cause any offense...

To my eyes, there are few things that seem a little off in the overall image, as mentioned, the necklace and the hair wisp are distracting. I can see what the inclusion of the hair wisp was planned to be, however, in this instance, the shape is too complex and becomes distracting.

I've looked at it now on both my phone and computer and the processing on the eyes has left them looking a little flat / artificial in my opinion.

My personal recommendation would be a little more contrast and sharpness/clarity to add a little more 'bite' to the image. She has striking features that I would want to emphasize.

That said, it is excellently lit, her pose is perfect and I love the hair - brilliant.

juggler - I hope I don't cause any offense...

To my eyes, there are few things that seem a little off in the overall image, as mentioned, the necklace and the hair wisp are distracting. I can see what the inclusion of the hair wisp was planned to be, however, in this instance, the shape is too complex and becomes distracting.

I've looked at it now on both my phone and computer and the processing on the eyes has left them looking a little flat / artificial in my opinion.

My personal recommendation would be a little more contrast and sharpness/clarity to add a little more 'bite' to the image. She has striking features that I would want to emphasize.

That said, it is excellently lit, her pose is perfect and I love the hair - brilliant.

Fair enough!

fwiw I think it already looks over processed, I'm not going to add any more local contrast.

Back