Last weekend's Brides

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
IF (and yes its a big IF on purpose) a Bride is actually ready on time, then its usual to take a few Bridal Portraits in the family home or hotel prior to setting off for the Ceremony, and before any rain, wind etc. can get at them

At this time I generally have about 2-3 mins to capture the essence of the Bride in front of me. Some are totally relaxed, some crapping themselves, some as excited as a giddy kipper but ALL are looking the best they ever have. I don't have anything except ambient light at this time and that usually means placing them near a window; crafting window light isn't hard as curtains can be used to help create anything from a wide 'softbox' to a narrow 'stripbox' simply by opening or drawing them - oh and using a Bulldog clip often helps :D

Its often best to use a North facing window if there is one, and to then remove all the crap off the wall behind them - or even move large furniture too

Both of these shots involved some curtain drawing, both were in rooms totally full of stuff & people. For the first one, I'm wedged in a corner between a wardrobe & a wall shooting sideways as its too narrow to stand square; for the other I've moved their telly and I'm straddling the TV unit it sits on

I talk to them constantly about how they are feeling, about how long its taken them to get to this point, about all the planning and about the man they are about to marry and I take 20 maybe 30 or more shots during this time just trying for the look I want; its not a generic "Bride" look but something from their character I've seen during our morning together so far

Odd then that in these two Brides one of them I've spent 3 hours with in Prep and another 2 hours in meetings and a pre-Wed shoot, while the other I met for the first time 5-6 mins before I photographed her

Both had very different personalities and both had very different Weddings, but both were FAB to be with and shoot and its a true honour to be a part of such a special day

I love my job :) If you are thinking about being a Wedding Photographer, then go for it, its awesome

David Goodier Photography - Bridal portrait 2 - TP.jpg

David Goodier Photography - Bridal portrait 1 - TP.jpg

Dave

Love 'em both David, wonder if cropping the curtain out of the first may improve? Think #2 is spot on as is, lovely tones, wonderful engagement and and enigmatic smile :)

Love 'em both David, wonder if cropping the curtain out of the first may improve? Think #2 is spot on as is, lovely tones, wonderful engagement and and enigmatic smile :)

Improve? That's a personal taste thing I guess, not wrong either way. Its her bedroom and I wanted to leave it in. The other is her lounge which has a deep bay hence no curtain in that one but I did want to leave the wall edge. I kinda want them to look a little more 'home' and less 'studio' if you see what I mean :)

But there's nothing wrong with wanting to remove everything and have a plain gradient wall if that's what you want :)

Dave

wonder if cropping the curtain out of the first may improve?

Any eventual consideration in this direction I base on:
"Does it graphically — or otherwise — contribute positively to the
visual pleasure?

In both these cases, I would be incline to agree with you, Paul.
Both are darn cool… but does seeing the curtain or the window
frame support the visual quality of these images?

But then again, if personal taste is involved, discussion is pointless.

It's ages since I've seen a bride wearing specs in their wedding photograph.

It's ages since I've seen a bride wearing specs in their wedding photograph.

I hadn't thought of that but yes, you're right, the vast majority do go for contact lenses if they can wear them

It does limit the more usual portrait poses and causes a few issues at other times too with reflections; they can be a nightmare during the Ceremony where they, nor me, can move and its pot luck that they aren't reflecting a light source

I bet I don't see more than 1-2 a year with glasses, which is clearly way below the average of spectacle wearers

Dave

A couple of cracking images - not much more to say really! (y)

Love these. Initially I thought "crop the curtains out" but then I thought that actually, it reminds the bride that it's their house, or else it could be any old wall. Nice to see specs and the reflections artfully managed too. Love the smile in the second. Makes you connect with the subject and wonder what she's thinking.

Back