Last weeks finds and set up test for holidays

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Last weeks finds when I was trying out a possible holiday macro set up. I am trying to keep the size of my camera kit quite small when I go on holiday to Canada in summer. I of course want to be able to shoot macro if I get the time. I need a smaller light set up I think.

The lens and tubes pack small but the diffuser and flash do not.

Zuiko-40-150-tunes-and-raynox by alf.branch, on Flickr

Here are some shots taken with it using AF then rock technique

All kit at 140mm a bit cropped

Dicyrtomina-Saundersi by alf.branch, on Flickr

Without the Raynox at 96mm Nice jumper

Salticus-Scenicus by alf.branch, on Flickr

With the Raynox at 102mm a very small fly

Small-fly by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:
The results speak for themselves! Alf, for the diffuser try a collapsible softbox (something like this). It will fold flat for easy storage and will likely do a similar job to your DIY effort. You can even add additional diffusion layers if needed. I've switched to using them now. The only thing I find is that they don't always come with the best attachments for the flash, so I also got some velcro tape and stuck it to my flash head to help keep it secure (I know some won't like the idea of that, but I figured i got the flash to give me better light, and the best light I need has to be diffused, so went for it and have no regrets). There are also smaller sizes available (I have a couple of different sizes) as you don't really need such a large surface area for the high magnification stuff.

HTHs

The results speak for themselves! Alf, for the diffuser try a collapsible softbox (something like this). It will fold flat for easy storage and will likely do a similar job to your DIY effort. You can even add additional diffusion layers if needed. I've switched to using them now. The only thing I find is that they don't always come with the best attachments for the flash, so I also got some velcro tape and stuck it to my flash head to help keep it secure (I know some won't like the idea of that, but I figured i got the flash to give me better light, and the best light I need has to be diffused, so went for it and have no regrets). There are also smaller sizes available (I have a couple of different sizes) as you don't really need such a large surface area for the high magnification stuff.

HTHs

Thanks Tim that does help

I can never use a tripod on marco as it takes me too long to set up to the right height to take the shoot.

Great shots(y)

Thanks Icy

I use a similar diffuser as Tim suggested and wrap a piece of packaging form around it with a elastic band which will diffuse more. This way,should be easy to pack.

Thanks Icy thats useful

Great lighting and results from your setup. Maybe take some material to make the diffuser when you get there ?

For me the jumper is the best image of the three - love the fall off in the dof.

Thanks Chris
Making a diffuser would be OK if I was staying in one place but I am travelling by train and coach on a tour from one side of Canada to the other and this is really only for occasional use but when going to a single place with more time I would.

Back