Latest Engagement Session - Alex & Donna

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Hey folks. Haven't posted for a while but since my last wedding post from December, I have shot 3 (edited and delivered 2) and Thursday just gone I went to meet this lovely couple and shot their long awaited engagement session. I was able to take my time and try some new poses which I am fairly happy with. Such a lovely couple to work with and they want me to shoot their 'country village' wedding next year. Anyways, as always I know I can improve and keep getting better but thought I would post here for some opinions.

Thanks in advance. Oh, and if you want to see the full blog post, here's a CLICKY LINKY

Donna-3.jpg

Donna-8.jpg

Donna-10.jpg

Donna-14.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

There's just something about the way you shoot that is just 'right'... natural eye for sure. I think you could do with adding a few less looking at the camera to your post here as I'm sure you probably have some and it would give a bit of diversity to the set.

I like the shooting in to the sun you've done, gives a nice romantic feel to those 2 images :)

I tend not to like overtly posed photos and some of these fall into that category but I really like 2 and 4 which feel very natural.

Love the idea and execution of 3 except for the pose - it looks very staged which doesn't float my boat but I'm sure the lovely couple will love it :)

Said this earlier but great gallery :D

Thanks Jack :)

There's just something about the way you shoot that is just 'right'... natural eye for sure. I think you could do with adding a few less looking at the camera to your post here as I'm sure you probably have some and it would give a bit of diversity to the set.

I like the shooting in to the sun you've done, gives a nice romantic feel to those 2 images :)

Thanks Andy. Yes, now you mentioned it I agree. I have a couple of the similar shot where they are interacting with each other and not me so your right, I may swap a few out tomorrow.

Thanks, I do like shooting into the sun.

I tend not to like overtly posed photos and some of these fall into that category but I really like 2 and 4 which feel very natural.

Love the idea and execution of 3 except for the pose - it looks very staged which doesn't float my boat but I'm sure the lovely couple will love it :)

Thank you for the comments. I'm still finding my way with the posing and interacting. As above, I have similar shots where there contact is with one another rather than the camera so may change some tomorrow. :)

Very nice indeed Gareth. Ref the full set, with my Picky Pro hat on ...

4 & 5 (landscape pair) - I'm not 100% sold on the crop of the LH one, but the elements are all there. My problem with the RH one's that nameplate, which you don't need in the shot but which you could have hidden by moving right and lower, or avoided by posing them on t'other side of the door.

6 (with tree trunk) - it grates a bit because of the way you've cropped it through her left hand. Any lower, though, I guess it got complicated by his shoe starting to appear. Otherwise, pose and expressions are spot on for me. I reckon I'd make the most of it by keeping the aspect ratio but cropping it just above her right hand, then shunting the crop L>R for best effect.

7 (colour in the daffodils) - lovely, but if it was mine I'd kick myself for not spotting the shrub that forms her green hat

8 (b/w version) - and now he's got it! They're both very nice snaps indeed though. If I'd shot this, though, as soon as the mirror was back up I'd have called her name and asked her to stay as she is but bring her left hand up and move that hair away from her eye. A pound to a penny says there'd have been another cracker to be had as she did that.

9 (bridge) - given the relatively high solid parapet, did you also get the "leaning on the wall together, looking at the snapper" shot?

13 (us in the field) - I actually like this a lot, and if it was your idea to get him looking that way, that was inspired. But if it was mine I'd sure as hell zap that distracting dark blob on the horizon ...

15 (us against the wall) - I reckon they needed to be just a bit more to the right (more towards on a vertical third)

16 - (shop) - love it.

HTH a bit :)

Last edited:
Really nice stuff Gareth. I'd be so pleased if I'd taken those shot. Wish I could do that sort of stuff. You've got a fab eye for it! Well done! :)

I really like 2/4 as the standout for me... superbly shot. Easily lose control of light in those situations.

I'm sure they will be extremely happy with these and be looking foward to you shooting the wedding.

I'll leave any advice for those above. :D

Very nice indeed Gareth. Ref the full set, with my Picky Pro hat on ...

4 & 5 (landscape pair) - I'm not 100% sold on the crop of the LH one, but the elements are all there. My problem with the RH one's that nameplate, which you don't need in the shot but which you could have hidden by moving right and lower, or avoided by posing them on t'other side of the door.

6 (with tree trunk) - it grates a bit because of the way you've cropped it through her left hand. Any lower, though, I guess it got complicated by his shoe starting to appear. Otherwise, pose and expressions are spot on for me. I reckon I'd make the most of it by keeping the aspect ratio but cropping it just above her right hand, then shunting the crop L>R for best effect.

7 (colour in the daffodils) - lovely, but if it was mine I'd kick myself for not spotting the shrub that forms her green hat

8 (b/w version) - and now he's got it! They're both very nice snaps indeed though. If I'd shot this, though, as soon as the mirror was back up I'd have called her name and asked her to stay as she is but bring her left hand up and move that hair away from her eye. A pound to a penny says there'd have been another cracker to be had as she did that.

9 (bridge) - given the relatively high solid parapet, did you also get the "leaning on the wall together, looking at the snapper" shot?

13 (us in the field) - I actually like this a lot, and if it was your idea to get him looking that way, that was inspired. But if it was mine I'd sure as hell zap that distracting dark blob on the horizon ...

15 (us against the wall) - I reckon they needed to be just a bit more to the right (more towards on a vertical third)

16 - (shop) - love it.

HTH a bit :)

Hey Dan. Thanks, as always, for taking the time to view the full set and add individual comments. Let me see if I can sort response where you have requested it....

5, yes your right, the nameplate bothered me as soon as I noticed it. Must pay more attention!

6, Thanks, I will have a play with the crop in future. Of course, these have been delivered now so reluctant to crop in hindsight. :(

7, Not that I hadn't noticed until you said it :bang:

8, Absolutely agree with her moving her hair was a potential great shot. Shame I didn't think of it at the time. I guess that's where experience will come in.

9, I did get a couple of different angles. One with them leaning on but not looking at me.

13, Thank you. Yes, that's a pose I have been wanting to try for a while and they were the perfect couple IMO. Took her a couple of goes and a little direction to look that relaxed but I was also really happy, which is a rarity. (The dark blob is a darker tree, again, something to remember next time).

15, a little crop would sort that I am sure.

16, thank you. :)

Really nice stuff Gareth. I'd be so pleased if I'd taken those shot. Wish I could do that sort of stuff. You've got a fab eye for it! Well done! :)

Awww thanks, Bethy. Appreciate you taking the time to comment. I am sure you can do that sort of stuff and better. Your studio stuff is fabulous.

I really like 2/4 as the standout for me... superbly shot. Easily lose control of light in those situations.

I'm sure they will be extremely happy with these and be looking foward to you shooting the wedding.

I'll leave any advice for those above. :D

Thank you. :) I do like shooting into the sun but it takes a few frames to get where I am happy.

... Shame I didn't think of it at the time. I guess that's where experience will come in ...

Gareth, always bear in mind (a) that my observations are based on over 40 years' amateur snapping + 10 years of it pro, and (b) that I still could only get maybe 10 shots a year that I couldn't fault ...

Gareth, always bear in mind (a) that my observations are based on over 40 years' amateur snapping + 10 years of it pro, and (b) that I still could only get maybe 10 shots a year that I couldn't fault ...

Yes but it's nice to hear others opinions, especially who have some experience. I'll find my own way from the advice given and end up somewhere were I'm doing ok. Notice how I don't say happy. Don't think I'll ever get there.

Hey folks. Haven't posted for a while but since my last wedding post from December, I have shot 3 (edited and delivered 2) and Thursday just gone I went to meet this lovely couple and shot their long awaited engagement session. I was able to take my time and try some new poses which I am fairly happy with. Such a lovely couple to work with and they want me to shoot their 'country village' wedding next year. Anyways, as always I know I can improve and keep getting better but thought I would post here for some opinions.

Thanks in advance. Oh, and if you want to see the full blog post, here's a CLICKY LINKY

Donna-3.jpg

Donna-8.jpg

Donna-10.jpg

Donna-14.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

lovely. they look happy and relaxed and the images reflect it.

Really nice editing style too.

How you finding the squarespace template? Have you optimised it for SEO. I have spent a LOT of time tweaking mine and have found some great SEO tolls you may be interested in. PM if you need any help....im hoping all my hardwork will pay off soon.

Great stuff mate!

Good work Gareth!

I agree with Andy about too many images of the couple looking at the camera. And in #3 I feel like they should be stood a lot closer together as it looks a tad contrived as it is.

Keep it up though. You'll soon be where you want to be.

lovely. they look happy and relaxed and the images reflect it.

Really nice editing style too.

How you finding the squarespace template? Have you optimised it for SEO. I have spent a LOT of time tweaking mine and have found some great SEO tolls you may be interested in. PM if you need any help....im hoping all my hardwork will pay off soon.

Great stuff mate!

Hi Greg. Thanks for the comments. :) I am liking the template and it will do me for the next 12 months at least. With regards to SEO, I have done practically zero SEO stuff so far. It's something I really need to consider to be honest.

Appreciate the comments on the photos.

Good work Gareth!

I agree with Andy about too many images of the couple looking at the camera. And in #3 I feel like they should be stood a lot closer together as it looks a tad contrived as it is.

Keep it up though. You'll soon be where you want to be.

Thank you Ben. Yes I agree now it's been mentioned and as I say, the full set has similar shots where they aren't engaged with the camera but with each other. Appreciate the comments. :)

Not sure I will be where I want to be ever, never mind soon enough. Ha.

Back