Latest wedding

Name
Jack Valentine Parkinson
Edit My Images
No
i don't really post work on here as I rarely get around to it! Thought I'd share a few snaps from this wedding as it was an awesome day.

GALLERY: http://www.projectvalentine.co.uk/blog/anne-steve-wedding-ashfield-house

3508ifc.jpg

2cfwci0.jpg

jpu0xw.jpg

a44ll4.jpg

15s1p5k.jpg

14xe98o.jpg

2lmufe9.jpg

fyq4nc.jpg

Well FWIW, and as usual making no comment about your processing, ref the above eight shots ...

#1 Given that you have an "upright" subject framed between two upright mirrors, it's not obvious to me why you shot it landscape.

#2 is cropped too loose for my taste, but next time you do this shot, which relies on the eye contact, try to make certain there's no reflection in the subject's glasses. And I do know that's not easy. If I'd had my way, nobody would be allowed to wear glasses to a wedding unless they had a decent anti-reflection coating on the lenses :rolleyes:

#3 would have worked far better if you'd moved to your right and waited a few seconds until the bride looked your way (perhaps because you said something to her) then shot it from a slightly higher viewpoint. That way, you'd have avoided the pitfall of shooting a big girl with a big arm in profile (as well as that line of light bulbs in the background) and it looks to me like the light on them would have been better.

#4 nice for what it is but it'd be much better without the bottom of those distracting wall lights in the background

#5 nice :)

#6 nice try but you needed to be closer on a wider angle lens for best effect

#7 nice enough but wouldn't it have worked better shot portrait? Having said that, though, if you crop it square on them it would look grand in a frame.

#8 obviously I see what you were aiming for, but the bride's expression kills it for me. Either you just missed the moment or it hadn't happened yet.

Ref the accompanying blog post, there are some cracking good pictures in there, ranging right from the pack shots to the couple shots. I'm guessing you shot this gig on primes, which limited your ability to nail some of the shots you tried for during the ceremony, but why the aversion to portrait format - even when a picture's crying out for it?

Ref that second "signing" shot though, I freely admit to having a Big Thing about faked "signing" shots (so much so that after our second year, I refused flat out to shoot any) but even so - a picture of a hand which is not identifiable as the bride's holding a pen as if she's going to fill in the registration district name in the register? WTF? If the miserable sod of a registrar won't let you snap the real thing for some reason or other, at least shoot your picture so it's not so obvious?

Whatever, there's one area in which I reckon that for a modest amount of effort you could make a big improvement and that's avoiding background distractions, or failing which, removing them later if by so doing you'd usefully clean the picture up. To see what I mean, compare the two small pictures on your blog of the bride and maids sat on that sofa, one with and one without the intrusive sconces, and check out that bridesmaid's head in the recession shots, the dude in the black shirt in that one of the bride shaking hands with the female guest, the wossname on the wall behind the bridesmaid doing the speech, and so on.

But hey, ATEOTD you got a good coverage of their day and some naturals for a decent-sized print in a nice frame. And you're getting better :)

HTH a bit.

Last edited:
Really good mate!!! I think you've captured the detail shots brilliantly and it's something I hate shooting and never do that great a job of, I'm a bit envious of how good you seem to be at this part of the day :)

Pics above all look great, like the mirrors framing the dress, the hand in focus of the selfie is fantastic.

Overall the set is great, love the processing... only criticism is that (pot calling the kettle black here) is you've over blogged it. Too many similar shots which dilute the overall impact IMO. It's something I've struggled with too but if 2 or 3 shots look similar just blog one... just blog one of the shoes, one of the bouquet etc where possible and so on.

Overall though top work!

Well FWIW, and as usual making no comment about your processing, ref the above eight shots ...

#1 Given that you have an "upright" subject framed between two upright mirrors, it's not obvious to me why you shot it landscape.

#2 is cropped too loose for my taste, but next time you do this shot, which relies on the eye contact, try to make certain there's no reflection in the subject's glasses. And I do know that's not easy. If I'd had my way, nobody would be allowed to wear glasses to a wedding unless they had a decent anti-reflection coating on the lenses :rolleyes:

#3 would have worked far better if you'd moved to your right and waited a few seconds until the bride looked your way (perhaps because you said something to her) then shot it from a slightly higher viewpoint. That way, you'd have avoided the pitfall of shooting a big girl with a big arm in profile (as well as that line of light bulbs in the background) and it looks to me like the light on them would have been better.

#4 nice for what it is but it'd be much better without the bottom of those distracting wall lights in the background

#5 nice :)

#6 nice try but you needed to be closer on a wider angle lens for best effect

#7 nice enough but wouldn't it have worked better shot portrait? Having said that, though, if you crop it square on them it would look grand in a frame.

#8 obviously I see what you were aiming for, but the bride's expression kills it for me. Either you just missed the moment or it hadn't happened yet.

Ref the accompanying blog post, there are some cracking good pictures in there, ranging right from the pack shots to the couple shots. I'm guessing you shot this gig on primes, which limited your ability to nail some of the shots you tried for during the ceremony, but why the aversion to portrait format - even when a picture's crying out for it?

Ref that second "signing" shot though, I freely admit to having a Big Thing about faked "signing" shots (so much so that after our second year, I refused flat out to shoot any) but even so - a picture of a hand which is not identifiable as the bride's holding a pen as if she's going to fill in the registration district name in the register? WTF? If the miserable sod of a registrar won't let you snap the real thing for some reason or other, at least shoot your picture so it's not so obvious?

Whatever, there's one area in which I reckon that for a modest amount of effort you could make a big improvement and that's avoiding background distractions, or failing which, removing them later if by so doing you'd usefully clean the picture up. To see what I mean, compare the two small pictures on your blog of the bride and maids sat on that sofa, one with and one without the intrusive sconces, and check out that bridesmaid's head in the recession shots, the dude in the black shirt in that one of the bride shaking hands with the female guest, the wossname on the wall behind the bridesmaid doing the speech, and so on.

But hey, ATEOTD you got a good coverage of their day and some naturals for a decent-sized print in a nice frame. And you're getting better :)

HTH a bit.

Thanks for the time and effort Dan to go through the full thing! And I'll certainly bare what you've said in mind about removing stuff from shots. Photoshopping stuff out isn't my strongest point but that's no excuse not to try it!

I shot the whole day on a 35mm and 85mm so yep.. All time! I do have a 24-70 and 17-40 (which would have been good for the selfie shot but happened so fast I didn't want to miss it!)

I've fallen into the habit of shooting so much landscape these days, and just going through yesterdays wedding I've probably been victim to it again... It's a habit I really need to break! I think it's down to my old site layout looking bad in portrait and the wedding books I offer being landscape so I always learn towards shooting landscape. Again.. no excuses!

Thanks again :D

Really good mate!!! I think you've captured the detail shots brilliantly and it's something I hate shooting and never do that great a job of, I'm a bit envious of how good you seem to be at this part of the day :)

Pics above all look great, like the mirrors framing the dress, the hand in focus of the selfie is fantastic.

Overall the set is great, love the processing... only criticism is that (pot calling the kettle black here) is you've over blogged it. Too many similar shots which dilute the overall impact IMO. It's something I've struggled with too but if 2 or 3 shots look similar just blog one... just blog one of the shoes, one of the bouquet etc where possible and so on.

Overall though top work!

Thanks Andy!

Glad you like shots and processing! It's something I've toned back a little since my earlier posts as they lacked contrast so just reduced the matt look a little.

I'm terrible at throwing blogs together... Luckily my recent site change has forced me to only be able to blog 100 pictures as I'd go over if I could! At least now I can start knocking this down like you said to the best of the best.

Will certainly give that a go for my next one!

p.s Only managed to "captured the detail shots brilliantly" as I arrived so early I had way too much time for those haha

Thanks for the time and effort Dan to go through the full thing! And I'll certainly bare what you've said in mind about removing stuff from shots. Photoshopping stuff out isn't my strongest point but that's no excuse not to try it!

I shot the whole day on a 35mm and 85mm so yep.. All time! I do have a 24-70 and 17-40 (which would have been good for the selfie shot but happened so fast I didn't want to miss it!)

I've fallen into the habit of shooting so much landscape these days, and just going through yesterdays wedding I've probably been victim to it again... It's a habit I really need to break! I think it's down to my old site layout looking bad in portrait and the wedding books I offer being landscape so I always learn towards shooting landscape. Again.. no excuses!

Thanks again :D

I'm the same tbh, I probably deliver 1 portrait orientation photo per wedding on average, when there's 400 odd landscape it's a disproportionate ratio... however I dislike portrait shots by and large so it's a style choice more than anything. I'll put it in portrait if I absolutely need too but really prefer landscape and the ability to let the image 'breath' more than you can with portrait

I'm the same tbh, I probably deliver 1 portrait orientation photo per wedding on average, when there's 400 odd landscape it's a disproportionate ratio... however I dislike portrait shots by and large so it's a style choice more than anything. I'll put it in portrait if I absolutely need too but really prefer landscape and the ability to let the image 'breath' more than you can with portrait

Yeah, a lot of the time the portrait shots come from my other half... Though I fully understand what Dan says.. there are certainly shots that would work better in portrait.

Just done a quick edit of some snaps from yesterday so I can catch the punters while they're still buzzing from the wedding... http://www.projectvalentine.co.uk/blog/ellen-christian-wedding-preview (all portrait :banghead:)

Back