Latest Wedding.

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Hey folks!

Well, haven't posted the last few but this is wedding number 8 for me. I still feel I need to braver in terms of framing and compositions. I think my stuff is leaning too far to the traditional where I want it to to be a little more quirky and out there. It's difficult though on the day to try and think like that when everything is happening I find. Anyways, please feel free to have a look through the full blog post and let me know thoughts on a whole. As always, I am trying to improve constantly until I reach a certain level. I do feel my stuff is getting better in general and I am attracting the right couples, however I am still nowhere near where I want to be with this thing. If you want to see the full blog post CLICK HERE. :)

Blog-5.jpg

Blog-18.jpg

Blog-20.jpg

Blog-5.jpg

Thanks for looking. :)

Just had a look at the blog post and IMO they're very, very good fella. The B&G portraits are fantastic, you've controlled what looks like quite harsh light really well! The one with the father of thr bride seeing the bride for the first time is a corker, great timing - the look on his face! :)

I'm sure there'll be some good, detailed crit along soon but well done mate!

I think you have done well with these. Not going to critique as such, as a set the only thing I would say is that the white balance seems to be a little off with the portraits could be just this monitor though. I am sure your couple will be delighted with them good emotion shown throughout. The only one for me that stood out a little bit on your blog as being out of place was Dad doing son's tie up from behind looks a little ackward and the other version looks much better.

Really liked the confetti shots. :)

Last edited:
You have a very good standard of work there, the vicars face just after the kiss is a corker.

A nice mix of black and whites as well.

Really like #2. A nice perspective. Don't think I'm qualified to crit them, I'd be over the moon if i had produced these.

:)

Thank you. Anyone is 'qualified' to share their opinion on photos. Whether it's technical, personal opinion or just whether you like them for whatever reason. :)

Just had a look at the blog post and IMO they're very, very good fella. The B&G portraits are fantastic, you've controlled what looks like quite harsh light really well! The one with the father of thr bride seeing the bride for the first time is a corker, great timing - the look on his face! :)

I'm sure there'll be some good, detailed crit along soon but well done mate!

Thank you, Danny. Yeah the harsh sunshine was relentless all day. I was quite happy with catching her dad like that. First time I have done it like that I think.

I think you have done well with these. Not going to critique as such, as a set the only thing I would say is that the white balance seems to be a little off with the portraits could be just this monitor though. I am sure your couple will be delighted with them good emotion shown throughout. The only one for me that stood out a little bit on your blog as being out of place was Dad doing son's tie up from behind looks a little ackward and the other version looks much better.

Really liked the confetti shots. :)

Thanks for taking the time. I think with the WB and the portraits, they were under the trees so I think they are a little more green than if they were, well, not under the trees. :LOL:

I see what you mean with the Dad and Son, although it wasn't staged at all by me, that;s how it happened so I think they will appreciate it. :)

Lovely work. I enjoyed viewing the link, especially the effective use of B&W and colour.
Love the B&W image immediately following the confetti shot and the stance under the colourful tree together.
A very nice set; I too would be thrilled with those.

I love your work! :) Can't comment on technical aspects so I'll just say I think you've captured a lot of special moments nicely. Both candids and posed photos are full of life and happiness. My favourite shot is the close-up on the bride (in the garden) looking to the side and her veil like floating in the air. (Was someone or something holding it up?) I like how the it's framed and how the light falls on her hair and how she looks relaxed and happy and gorgeous! :)

OK, ref the above four ...

#1 Doesn't work at all for me, if for no other reason than the only eye is OOF. I'd have waited for the slap artist to move her head back up.

#2 Well seen and very well caught indeed. To be picky, the dude on the left isn't looking at her therefore he doesn't add anything to the picture, so I'd be tempted to lose him, the light switch and the light fitting, comme ça ...

crop_zpsbxnovxad.jpg

#3 Excellent, despite his left eye being obscured. But it could have been a lot worse, and that's precisely why confetti shots were one of the very few occasions on which I ever used bursts of continuous mode.

#4 I'm not sold on the apparent tilt, but apart from the white balance, what's not to like? (BTW, we used to swear by the original WhiBal thingy for couple shots under/near trees on sunny days. Made Ann's life lots easier!)

Anyhow, I've just had a very quick run through the full works and there's some cracking good stuff in there, so I'll come back to it later when I have a bit more time :)

my internet is running too slow to check all the blog, but the ones in here are great

I would have been delighted if my wedding pictures had been this good so I'm sure you'll have a happy client!

Really nice Gareth. I know what you mean about being a little more daring with more abstract composition which seems to be the in vogue style at the moment. I think playing things safe is no bad thing and in time your style will evolve.

Really like the posed shots and the one under the tree is a cracker. I probably would have been tempted to have zapped the smoke alarm in the shot where she's walking down the stairs, just drew my eye but that's us snappers noticing, will go amiss with most I'm sure.

Assuming you have your own vsco tweak but one thing that I keep noting is the variations in blues. These blue suits that are all the rage at the mo really pop outdoors but appear grey indoors, have found that myself.

Very nice set, Gareth.
The one under the tree with the amazing bokeh stands out, just, and the father of the bride.

The full works is excellent, and far better than an eighth wedding has any right to be.

First off though, it's a crying shame what that "hairdresser" did to the poor bride. Trouble is, though, a lot of them just lurve doing wedding hair and to them that means an up-do and Dangly Bits. And a lot of brides know no better than to just go along with it when they suggest Dangly Bits. The only way we ever found to deal with this curse was to lay it on thick with brides right from the start about how Dangly Bits can be a real PITA on the day and can phuq up a lot of their snaps. I actually used to say to them at our first meeting when talking generally about their wedding "If we do your photos, will you promise me now that you won't have Dangly Bits?

Anyhow. Ref the blog post ...

5th one in (second hair shot) - WTF is that red bar and where did it come from?

Mum hugging - it's OK, but once you've caught a nice moment like that, it's always worth lining yourself up for a shot over the bride's shoulder of what happens next i.e. them pulling back a bit and mum looking her straight in the eyes

The two tight b/w headshots of slap going on - I reckon the first one's a dud but I love the second.

Me and my brother (after the cufflinks) - nice enough, but a step to the right would have got a better angle and lost whatever that is in the doorway

Slap picture before Dad with his tie - a clever MUA to doing the customer's eyeliner and powdering her own nose at the same time, but that's a nice example of the safest angle for the eye-makeup shot

Bride and dress on hanger through to when you left for the church. Take out the b/w of the youngsters, the two reaction shots after that and the grab shot of Dad hugging the bride (all of which you do right to include), and you have a run of twelve very good wedding photographs indeed.

Ceremony's fine, but if you meet that vicar again, point out to him that he sent these two out the wrong way round ;)

That b/w confetti shot's a beauty. We did a lot of weddings before we got a better one than that.

Posed shots are perfectly fine AFAIC, and the same goes for the speeches. BTW, ref that one of Dad turning to the bride and it looking like his eyes are closed, one way to avoid that is to adopt my secret technique of always shooting the FOB's speech from table-top level, crouched down just to the right of the bride.

Cake-cutting. If that's as it happened, it's fine. If the venue set them up like that, they should know better. If you did, they're arse about face. Bride to your right of the cake, groom to her right, he puts his left arm round her waist and holds the knife in position with his right hand, upon which she places her left hand so you can see the ring.

Dance shots are fine too, although I'm not keen on that Big Arm in the first one.

All in all, an excellent coverage with a very nice feel to it - and it's exactly what many discerning brides want from their wedding photographer. There's no aspect in particular that strikes me as something you need to be concentrating on at this stage in your development: you're obviously thinking hard about what you're doing, but without over-thinking it and trying too hard.

If you can keep on turning out a product like this, you're going to have to do something very silly on the business side to be short of customers next year.

PS Just remember (because if nothing else, you're bound to be asked) that the bloke on the bride's left arm should be her Dad. The bloke on her right arm should be her husband. During the ceremony, the groom is on the right as you look at them from the back of the church/room. Once the deed is done, the celebrant should rotate them so that the bride is on the groom's left for the recession (and for the posed photos).

Last edited:
I'm not really qualified to critique on these, but from a casual observers point of view, they really are all stunning - I checked out the link as well. The party shots are marvelous too - The change in the bride between "slightly nervous about the biggest day in my life" and complete party girl is really apparent - you've really captured both sides of her personality which makes the set even more interesting!

For my own interest, do you mind if I ask what modifiers you were using, in the images where you used flash?

Lovely work. I enjoyed viewing the link, especially the effective use of B&W and colour.
Love the B&W image immediately following the confetti shot and the stance under the colourful tree together.
A very nice set; I too would be thrilled with those.

Thank you. I appreciate your comments. :)

I love your work! :) Can't comment on technical aspects so I'll just say I think you've captured a lot of special moments nicely. Both candids and posed photos are full of life and happiness. My favourite shot is the close-up on the bride (in the garden) looking to the side and her veil like floating in the air. (Was someone or something holding it up?) I like how the it's framed and how the light falls on her hair and how she looks relaxed and happy and gorgeous! :)

Thank you. I was on the fence with that one that you mention so I am glad you commented on it. Yes, her new husband was holding it for us. :)

my internet is running too slow to check all the blog, but the ones in here are great

I would have been delighted if my wedding pictures had been this good so I'm sure you'll have a happy client!

Thank you. :) Yes, the client is very happy apparently, however I still refuse to use that as a gauge to how well I am doing as I feel it can lead to complacency, even though that is my first aim. Strange but true.

Really nice Gareth. I know what you mean about being a little more daring with more abstract composition which seems to be the in vogue style at the moment. I think playing things safe is no bad thing and in time your style will evolve.

Really like the posed shots and the one under the tree is a cracker. I probably would have been tempted to have zapped the smoke alarm in the shot where she's walking down the stairs, just drew my eye but that's us snappers noticing, will go amiss with most I'm sure.

Assuming you have your own vsco tweak but one thing that I keep noting is the variations in blues. These blue suits that are all the rage at the mo really pop outdoors but appear grey indoors, have found that myself.

Thank you. I am still constantly evolving the editing. I think any suit that isn't black looks a different colour in different light. Inside church, in warm sunshine and then of course under the shade. It's a nightmare at times!

Very nice set, Gareth.
The one under the tree with the amazing bokeh stands out, just, and the father of the bride.

Thanks for the nice words. :)

The full works is excellent, and far better than an eighth wedding has any right to be.

First off though, it's a crying shame what that "hairdresser" did to the poor bride. Trouble is, though, a lot of them just lurve doing wedding hair and to them that means an up-do and Dangly Bits. And a lot of brides know no better than to just go along with it when they suggest Dangly Bits. The only way we ever found to deal with this curse was to lay it on thick with brides right from the start about how Dangly Bits can be a real PITA on the day and can phuq up a lot of their snaps. I actually used to say to them at our first meeting when talking generally about their wedding "If we do your photos, will you promise me now that you won't have Dangly Bits?

Anyhow. Ref the blog post ...

5th one in (second hair shot) - WTF is that red bar and where did it come from?

Mum hugging - it's OK, but once you've caught a nice moment like that, it's always worth lining yourself up for a shot over the bride's shoulder of what happens next i.e. them pulling back a bit and mum looking her straight in the eyes

The two tight b/w headshots of slap going on - I reckon the first one's a dud but I love the second.

Me and my brother (after the cufflinks) - nice enough, but a step to the right would have got a better angle and lost whatever that is in the doorway

Slap picture before Dad with his tie - a clever MUA to doing the customer's eyeliner and powdering her own nose at the same time, but that's a nice example of the safest angle for the eye-makeup shot

Bride and dress on hanger through to when you left for the church. Take out the b/w of the youngsters, the two reaction shots after that and the grab shot of Dad hugging the bride (all of which you do right to include), and you have a run of twelve very good wedding photographs indeed.

Ceremony's fine, but if you meet that vicar again, point out to him that he sent these two out the wrong way round ;)

That b/w confetti shot's a beauty. We did a lot of weddings before we got a better one than that.

Posed shots are perfectly fine AFAIC, and the same goes for the speeches. BTW, ref that one of Dad turning to the bride and it looking like his eyes are closed, one way to avoid that is to adopt my secret technique of always shooting the FOB's speech from table-top level, crouched down just to the right of the bride.

Cake-cutting. If that's as it happened, it's fine. If the venue set them up like that, they should know better. If you did, they're arse about face. Bride to your right of the cake, groom to her right, he puts his left arm round her waist and holds the knife in position with his right hand, upon which she places her left hand so you can see the ring.

Dance shots are fine too, although I'm not keen on that Big Arm in the first one.

All in all, an excellent coverage with a very nice feel to it - and it's exactly what many discerning brides want from their wedding photographer. There's no aspect in particular that strikes me as something you need to be concentrating on at this stage in your development: you're obviously thinking hard about what you're doing, but without over-thinking it and trying too hard.

If you can keep on turning out a product like this, you're going to have to do something very silly on the business side to be short of customers next year.

PS Just remember (because if nothing else, you're bound to be asked) that the bloke on the bride's left arm should be her Dad. The bloke on her right arm should be her husband. During the ceremony, the groom is on the right as you look at them from the back of the church/room. Once the deed is done, the celebrant should rotate them so that the bride is on the groom's left for the recession (and for the posed photos).

Hi Dan. Thanks as usual for taking the time to look through and give detailed critique. The red thing is a comb in the hairdressers hair!

Some good points about where to stand etc and the moments captured and of course I will try and take points like that forward into the next one, as there's not a lot I can do after the even I guess. I do think the WB where they are under the tree is a little towards the green side, but again, the images have been delivered now and I should have caught it at first, however it's probably not something they will notice so I try not to worry too much, otherwise I would go mad!

One thing I am not convinced about, and of course I hope you don't think this means I am discounting your information in any way, is when you say that the cake cutting should be done this way or that way or that they should be a certain way around. Why? Because tradition dictates? These are how it happened and nothing was done to pose them. They stood whichever way felt more comfortable to them, as they did all day and to be honest, that't just the way I like it. :)

I do want to evolve as you well know, and the dance shots are something I am working on and will get up the courage to try some OCF at some point. As I said earlier in the post, i want to be braver, shoot more risky and try and shoot some really cool images. I think the only way is just to start doing it and gauge the reactions. :)

I'm not really qualified to critique on these, but from a casual observers point of view, they really are all stunning - I checked out the link as well. The party shots are marvelous too - The change in the bride between "slightly nervous about the biggest day in my life" and complete party girl is really apparent - you've really captured both sides of her personality which makes the set even more interesting!

For my own interest, do you mind if I ask what modifiers you were using, in the images where you used flash?

Thank you for the nice words. I appreciate you looking at the blog post. I really need to evolve my flash use for the dance stuff as that's the only time it was used. The only modifier would be the one that comes with the flash (diffuser thingy). I really want to learn some off camera flash for the first dance stuff.

I absolutely love the second picture, for me, I think it absolutely nails the brides emotion.

There is a tear on the way and there is enough blur on her right hand that you know she is doing the girly wavy hand thingy me bob. :D

Hi Gareth,
These are very nice. I haven't read any feedback above so apologies if I am repeating what has been said.
I think the last three still require some colour correction with the last one being really affected by green cast.
As for posing in the last one I would not have him looking in the camera either.

I love the first shot!!! Absolutely superb! Well captured

Thank you. :)

I absolutely love the second picture, for me, I think it absolutely nails the brides emotion.

There is a tear on the way and there is enough blur on her right hand that you know she is doing the girly wavy hand thingy me bob. :D

Thanks for commenting. :)

Hi Gareth,
These are very nice. I haven't read any feedback above so apologies if I am repeating what has been said.
I think the last three still require some colour correction with the last one being really affected by green cast.
As for posing in the last one I would not have him looking in the camera either.

Hi Tommy. Thank you for commenting. I agree, especially with the last one being a bit green. It's hard to hear after delivering to the customer as I end up feeling that I have given them a substandard product and I really do kick myself now. :(

Hi Tommy. Thank you for commenting. I agree, especially with the last one being a bit green. It's hard to hear after delivering to the customer as I end up feeling that I have given them a substandard product and I really do kick myself now

Put it behind you and look forward to the next one.

One thing I am not convinced about, and of course I hope you don't think this means I am discounting your information in any way, is when you say that the cake cutting should be done this way or that way or that they should be a certain way around. Why? Because tradition dictates? These are how it happened and nothing was done to pose them. They stood whichever way felt more comfortable to them, as they did all day and to be honest, that't just the way I like it. :)

Makes no odds to me if you discount my opinion, Gareth, because that's all it is :) As I said, if they set themselves up like that, fair enough. We certainly photographed no end of impromptu cake-cuttings. But sooner or later, your couple is going to stand there like a pair of dummies, look straight at you and say "How are we supposed to do this?". And they will expect expect their snapper to know. Saying "It's up to you" would be a cop out - particularly if for whatever reason the cake-cutting picture is important to them.

My point is simply that however "Go With The Flow" he or she is, a wedding photographer needs to know how to do the traditional cake-cutting. Same goes for the bride being on the groom's left in formal photos. Neither you nor the couple might care a flying one on the day, but sooner or later somebody will look at one of their formal snaps and say "Why are you two the wrong way round? Didn't your photographer know what he was doing?" and the couple will wonder why you never said anything. And if you think that's far-fetched, wait until you do a wedding where all the blokes turn out wearing their own morning suits and the bride's dad owns half the county ...

I do want to evolve as you well know, and the dance shots are something I am working on and will get up the courage to try some OCF at some point.

Fine - but I can absolutely guarantee that 95% of prospective customers would be delighted to get snaps of the dancing just like those you got at this gig. When you get into OCF and farting about, those impressed by the results will be other snappers (and hopefully yourself!). You'll work harder to get the "better" dance shots, but they won't get you any more/better customers;)

As I said earlier in the post, i want to be braver, shoot more risky and try and shoot some really cool images. I think the only way is just to start doing it and gauge the reactions. :)

Absolutely. One thing I would suggest is to get in there a bit more. Don't forget that they're paying you a lot of money to take those pictures for them. That and never being afraid to rattle off a short burst when there's a definite advantage to be had by so doing. "Machine-gunning" is only a sin when it makes up for lack of technique - not when it's the most appropriate technique. And don't forget the golden rule - only experiment either when you've got the safe shot or when there simply isn't a way to get the safe shot so anything's worth a try :cool:

Last edited:
Well done Gareth. Overall you've produced a fab set of images and certainly nothing to have any self-doubt over.

I agree on the white balance issue, there's certainly some inconsistency in the photos. But I find WB the single most difficult thing to get right in post production too. Don't be too hard on yourself. And if there's one particular picture (like the last one above) that you're not happy with, fix it and send the amended one to the customer. Tell them that you're not happy with it and wanted them to have a better version. It worked for George Lucas after all :D

Keep up the good work!

Well done Gareth. Overall you've produced a fab set of images and certainly nothing to have any self-doubt over.

I agree on the white balance issue, there's certainly some inconsistency in the photos. But I find WB the single most difficult thing to get right in post production too. Don't be too hard on yourself. And if there's one particular picture (like the last one above) that you're not happy with, fix it and send the amended one to the customer. Tell them that you're not happy with it and wanted them to have a better version. It worked for George Lucas after all :D

Keep up the good work!

Hey Ryan. Thank you for taking the time to look. Yeah from the people I chat to, it seems consistent WB over an entire set is tricky to get right when working in mixed lighting conditions. I was also reading Ross harvey saying that one thing he spends a LOT of time on making sure is right.

There are probably a handful of shots that I would like to amend, but I was in two minds whether sending them updated versions was a good idea or not.

I have also been looking at the types of work I aspire to and wondering if it's at all achievable. The compositions, the processing, the feel. Perhaps it's a case of you either have it or you don't, or perhaps it can be learned but may take a while. I have my first workshop booked for October which should hopefully be good, but I have a few more weddings booked this year which I would like to try and improve on. I really would love to lean less towards the traditional. :eek:/

Hey Ryan. Thank you for taking the time to look. Yeah from the people I chat to, it seems consistent WB over an entire set is tricky to get right when working in mixed lighting conditions. I was also reading Ross harvey saying that one thing he spends a LOT of time on making sure is right.

There are probably a handful of shots that I would like to amend, but I was in two minds whether sending them updated versions was a good idea or not.

I have also been looking at the types of work I aspire to and wondering if it's at all achievable. The compositions, the processing, the feel. Perhaps it's a case of you either have it or you don't, or perhaps it can be learned but may take a while. I have my first workshop booked for October which should hopefully be good, but I have a few more weddings booked this year which I would like to try and improve on. I really would love to lean less towards the traditional. :eek:/

You do have it mate. Don't doubt that. But at the same time you don't HAVE to follow the style of others. There's lots of great wedding photographers about but if you try to match THEM ALL you'll end up with a bit of a dogs dinner. If you know what I mean.

What you've shown in your blog past is that you're good at what you do. Stick with it. I'm not sure it needs tweaking any more....

I would say one thing though. I get that it's trendy at the moment to be "quirky" and "different" blah blah. But you'll never convince me that we need to shoot the tree tops ;) :D

But at the same time you don't HAVE to follow the style of others. There's lots of great wedding photographers about but if you try to match THEM ALL you'll end up with a bit of a dogs dinner.

:agree:

Far better to bounce off the feel, the emotions and the events of the day than to turn out for the gig with a headful of other people's snaps. Consistency trumps innovation every time.

What an excellent set of shots. I would be be very happy if we were to get shots like this from our wedding next year. If the tog we have booked lets us down, expect a phone call!!

I used to think that there was a secret trick to consistent pp but realise now it's experience which like everything, comes with practice. I can see that I have improved allot over the years but still room to improve. When I have done the odd wedding I have generally tweaked WB a couple times after the first pass of processing only to spot a couple of errors after I have delivered them. Think it was Lovegrove that used to say as a working pro you haven't got time for perfection.

You do have it mate. Don't doubt that. But at the same time you don't HAVE to follow the style of others. There's lots of great wedding photographers about but if you try to match THEM ALL you'll end up with a bit of a dogs dinner. If you know what I mean.

What you've shown in your blog past is that you're good at what you do. Stick with it. I'm not sure it needs tweaking any more....

I would say one thing though. I get that it's trendy at the moment to be "quirky" and "different" blah blah. But you'll never convince me that we need to shoot the tree tops ;) :D

I get what you mean Ryan about trying a bit of everything. That wouldn't be a good look for sure. I seem to be stuck in this quandry. One part of me thinks that I shoot the way I shoot and perhaps I should continue to evolve that. But What if I don;t like the way I shoot and wish I could change it and be more like the photographers I admire. It really gives me a bit of a headache.

:agree:

Far better to bounce off the feel, the emotions and the events of the day than to turn out for the gig with a headful of other people's snaps. Consistency trumps innovation every time.

How about consistent innovation? :LOL:

What an excellent set of shots. I would be be very happy if we were to get shots like this from our wedding next year. If the tog we have booked lets us down, expect a phone call!!

I appreciate those kind words.

I used to think that there was a secret trick to consistent pp but realise now it's experience which like everything, comes with practice. I can see that I have improved allot over the years but still room to improve. When I have done the odd wedding I have generally tweaked WB a couple times after the first pass of processing only to spot a couple of errors after I have delivered them. Think it was Lovegrove that used to say as a working pro you haven't got time for perfection.

Yeah these got tweaked several times. Perhaps I ended up looking at them too much and tweaking back and forth. It's a nightmare!

I get what you mean Ryan about trying a bit of everything. That wouldn't be a good look for sure. I seem to be stuck in this quandry. One part of me thinks that I shoot the way I shoot and perhaps I should continue to evolve that. But What if I don;t like the way I shoot and wish I could change it and be more like the photographers I admire. It really gives me a bit of a headache.

I think if you don't like the way you shoot then continue to develop your style until you do. But as Dan said, it's not good to have a head full of pictures by others shooters (hence my recent rant about pinterest in the business section).

From my POV I think you should be happy with your wedding photography. It's good and your clients think so too. So keep doing it!

... I think you should be happy with your wedding photography. It's good and your clients think so too. So keep doing it!

He's right you know, Gareth. Perhaps if you were looking at wedding photography more with a view to going full-time next year, for example, you'd find it easier to grasp that you've already evolved a very attractive, balanced, saleable product and that in itself is quite an achievement after only 8 weddings. When we reached that stage (after more than 8 weddings, that's for sure!), I got bored as hell shooting what to me was the same old same old week in week out, and I was forever wanting to funk it up a bit. But I was fortunate enough to have Ann always making the point that it was only me who thought it was the same old sh1t. The punters thought it was good stuff, and more importantly it was exactly what they wanted. So our work evolved slower than I wanted it to, and in retrospect that was the right move.

Evolve, push it, do whatever - but always beware of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The trick is to funk it up very gradually, and add new variants/techniques/whatever slowly to augment rather than dilute your core product. After all, what you're showing now is what's bringing in the enquiries ...

Last edited:
I think if you don't like the way you shoot then continue to develop your style until you do. But as Dan said, it's not good to have a head full of pictures by others shooters (hence my recent rant about pinterest in the business section).

From my POV I think you should be happy with your wedding photography. It's good and your clients think so too. So keep doing it!

Thank you Ryan. I shall try and keep evolving though, I know where I want to be and what I want to be shooting. :)

He's right you know, Gareth. Perhaps if you were looking at wedding photography more with a view to going full-time next year, for example, you'd find it easier to grasp that you've already evolved a very attractive, balanced, saleable product and that in itself is quite an achievement after only 8 weddings. When we reached that stage (after more than 8 weddings, that's for sure!), I got bored as hell shooting what to me was the same old same old week in week out, and I was forever wanting to funk it up a bit. But I was fortunate enough to have Ann always making the point that it was only me who thought it was the same old sh1t. The punters thought it was good stuff, and more importantly it was exactly what they wanted. So our work evolved slower than I wanted it to, and in retrospect that was the right move.

Evolve, push it, do whatever - but always beware of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. The trick is to funk it up very gradually, and add new variants/techniques/whatever slowly to augment rather than dilute your core product. After all, what you're showing now is what's bringing in the enquiries ...

Some good points, Dan. Much appreciated as always.

Nice shots! may I ask what your kit was for the day?

Thanks. Of course. A pair of Nikon Dfs, one with 85mm F1.4, one with 35mm F1.4.

white bal.....my single most annoying editing thing...even using the white bal dropper in LR its never quite right. I now just try and do it by eye...and try and get it consistent for each scene / group of shots...

Great images....wish my 8th wedding was that good..

This is exactly what my wife said last night. Im editing a wedding and I said to her 'im bored with this 'look / style / framing etc'' I had just been looking at some other photographers work I admire and their editing, lighting, framing seemed far more funky and cool than mine. She made the exact same point to me that it was only me who thought that and that the couples who are paying me are paying based on what I do NOW...not what I become. As, over time, I evolve to become more 'funky' then that evolution will bring its own clientele, but at the moment the B&G will like what I deliver NOW. if I rushed into something that simply wasn't me 'now' then my couples would raise an eyebrow in terms of what they thought they were getting vs what I delivered. plus im simply not there yet and forcing it would end in disaster. Sure, try something funky and cool once you have the base shots and the shots the couples are expecting from you (both in terms of style and editing). Experiment and be creative when you can...but don't try and be somebody else. Use them as inspiration to develop your own style (which is already great) and it will come.

I think you and I have the same / similar hang ups. I sometimes look at my images and whilst others say they are good I feel a little underwhelmed by them.....but then that's what pushes one forward - the pursuit of improvement.

If you need a kick up the backside......call my wife! lol ;)

white bal.....my single most annoying editing thing...even using the white bal dropper in LR its never quite right. I now just try and do it by eye...and try and get it consistent for each scene / group of shots...

Great images....wish my 8th wedding was that good..

Yeah that dropper drives me mad!
I find myself mostly using the white balance preset options in raw, daylight, shade etc...then sync, its atleast a good starting point, get quite nice consistant results.

Last edited by a moderator:
white bal.....my single most annoying editing thing...even using the white bal dropper in LR its never quite right.

Drove me nuts too. In the end, for us the answer was to use the original WhiBal whenever possible if it looked a bit iffy (the usual case being posed shots under/near trees on bright sunny days, as in my avatar!), and for Ann to take over the processing on the grounds that (a) her colour discrimination was better than mine and (b) she just developed a knack for getting a very "clean" file very quickly. Worked for us :)

...I sometimes look at my images and whilst others say they are good I feel a little underwhelmed by them.....but then that's what pushes one forward - the pursuit of improvement.

We spent 10 years looking at ours and being distinctly underwhelmed by them. I wish I had a tenner for every time we set off for a gig and one of us said "maybe today I'll take a decent snap" ...

Drove me nuts too. In the end, for us the answer was to use the original WhiBal whenever possible if it looked a bit iffy (the usual case being posed shots under/near trees on bright sunny days, as in my avatar!), and for Ann to take over the processing on the grounds that (a) her colour discrimination was better than mine and (b) she just developed a knack for getting a very "clean" file very quickly. Worked for us :)

We spent 10 years looking at ours and being distinctly underwhelmed by them. I wish I had a tenner for every time we set off for a gig and one of us said "maybe today I'll take a decent snap" ...

I find the above comments very interesting and can certainly relate to all that has been said. Always trying to improve, especially regarding consistency is a constant battle. My own work generally underwhelms me but then I reason that we spend allot of time looking at the exceptional work of our peers so no wonder that's the case.

Back