Critique Latrigg, Derwent Water and the vale of Keswick

Would it be possible to darken the left hand corner because it tends to draw the eye away from the rest of the image, other than that I like it for the colours and the variety of tones.

Oh yes, of course! I've been thinking something wasn't right but couldn't see it. I've darkened that corner and it's now drawing me into the image a lot more.
Thanks Norman!

You are welcome, Beth. I spend most of my time working with black & white and I think one gets sensitive to this sort of edits.

Its a lovely scene well captured, maybe a little too warm for my liking

Simon, thank you.

ST4, Thanks, I know what you mean about the magenta cast. I have tried taking it out, or making it more orangey/sunset as Hubby calls it but it doesn't look right. I'll need to play around, possibly starting from scratch again and seeing what I can do with it.

jakeblu, Yeah, thanks. I've been reigning in my natural tendencies to 'go bold and saturated', so I'll keep it in check.

Comments much appreciated.

Simon, thank you.

ST4, Thanks, I know what you mean about the magenta cast. I have tried taking it out, or making it more orangey/sunset as Hubby calls it but it doesn't look right. I'll need to play around, possibly starting from scratch again and seeing what I can do with it.

jakeblu, Yeah, thanks. I've been reigning in my natural tendencies to 'go bold and saturated', so I'll keep it in check.

Comments much appreciated.

If you use LR or Aperture 3, or PS there will be a slider near the WB thats called hue and it will go purple to green, slide it towards green. In saying that your greens look ok, its the sky.

What filters, if any did you use. Cheap ND grads from Cokin can do this. Its the water and sky. With Lee filters its just not an issue but they are expensive.

nicve capture Beth. I agree with Steve @ST4 re the hue. Just needs a bit of colour correction to my eyes.

Steve, I don't use LR, Aperture, or PS. I use Linux and Gimp, which is close but in some places is just not as good as PS. I'll have another go this evening. I haven't got any filters yet, but ordered some Kood grads the other day.

Adrian, Thanks.

Steve, I don't use LR, Aperture, or PS. I use Linux and Gimp, which is close but in some places is just not as good as PS. I'll have another go this evening. I haven't got any filters yet, but ordered some Kood grads the other day.

Adrian, Thanks.

The hue has me really interested, if its not come from PP, cheap filters, then perhaps the WB setting on the camera. GIMP is powerful, you should be able to correct it on that for sure, it will have a topaz style slider.

I've gone through the exif on flickr.

• Light Source - Daylight
It will be the WB preset. I've seen it with other sony cameras doing this. Change it to cloudy or something.

Last edited:
You've hit on the problem Steve, and a lesson I need to remember.... make sure I turn on raw at the beginning of the session not some way in. D'oh. I found the hue-saturation control was better to reduce the worst of the cast.

a6k08826_20150719_3fb by Elizabeth Oldham, on Flickr

Back