Laura

nothing showing, EDIT sorry i clicked on info instead of opening the post

Last edited:
Lovely shots technically. I'm just not getting the whole pretty girl in a grungy urban environment though... what's that about? Seeing a lot of this in these forums. (serious question).

Nice shots but as a lighting novice No 2 confuses me. The shadow from her nose is on the right but the shadow from her legs is on the left.

Nice shots but as a lighting novice No 2 confuses me. The shadow from her nose is on the right but the shadow from her legs is on the left.

At a guess, I'd say the hair/kick light from the back right was blocked from hitting her face by her hair. The key light may have been flagged, snooted or gridded to stop spill lower down... Or just a softer light source with more diffused shadows that are being filled in by the hair light (inverse square law dictates that a larger light source suffers more from fall off over distance) I'd be interested in hearing the answer myself. I like unravelling a mystery.

Lighting IS really nice on these though isn't it?

As I said , I'm a lighting novice so I'm going to have to take some time to translate that into something I can understand... but thanks for the explanation and hopefully the OP will come along and give us the details.
And yes the lighting is really nice.

I really like these, the lighting is beautiful.
I really like the urban/grunge feel to these images right up my street.

As I said , I'm a lighting novice so I'm going to have to take some time to translate that into something I can understand... but thanks for the explanation and hopefully the OP will come along and give us the details.
And yes the lighting is really nice.

Sorry... I just mean the light from the back that's lighting her hair (and casting the leg shadows) is blocked from her face by her own hair... so the only light hitting her face is from the main light camera left... so her nose shadow goes the other way.

As for the rest... a grid, snoot or flag are means to block light from spilling too wide... a means of putting it where you want, and blocking it from where you don't want it. As the light from the main light will probably be a larger, softer light... it falls off with distance more than a harder light source does.

I'm guessing BTW.. my explanation makes sense, but I'd not like to bet my house on it or anything. I'm sure the OP will be able to tell us.

Thanks for the comments guys.

To answer the questions - the girl in the grungy environment. I just like the location and punky/gritty/urban feel. No other reason that I like it.

Re the lighting in image number two. As David says, the key light is camera left and is mainly there to light the models face. It was a gridded beauty dish. The rim light was to the back camera right. I think it had a small grid on it but certainly no other modifiers. That's the one that's casting the shadow of the model's legs. I like a bright crisp rim light but the trade off is it does reveal it's shadow.

Last edited:
To me these shots are all artifice and quite without meaning. Think moulded plastic. No heart. Synthetic humanity.

No disrespect to the model or photographer is intended.

To me these shots are all artifice and quite without meaning. Think moulded plastic. No heart. Synthetic humanity.

I quite agree. They're just pictures. There wasn't meant to be a story or any particular meaning.

Nice shots.

Only comment is the feet in number one. Grass is distracting.

Thanks. I agree about the weed around her foot. I should have pulled it up :D

Thanks for the explanation, really helpful

You're very welcome. I hope it helped.

At a guess, I'd say the hair/kick light from the back right was blocked from hitting her face by her hair. The key light may have been flagged, snooted or gridded to stop spill lower down... Or just a softer light source with more diffused shadows that are being filled in by the hair light (inverse square law dictates that a larger light source suffers more from fall off over distance) I'd be interested in hearing the answer myself. I like unravelling a mystery.

Lighting IS really nice on these though isn't it?
I think the key could do with being a foot or two higher.

I keep looking at these, Ryan, trying to figure out what it is that's not working for me. I really like #1 and it's the closest, but the overall feel is that they're technically rather good, but that they lack in engagement from the model. She looks like she's trying to relax rather than being relaxed. This can often be a simple thing like slightly opening the mouth to soften the face or a little tilt of the head. It looks like she's holding a pose rather than fluidly moving into the pose or being there for a reason. What's the story? Like I said above, #2 could use the key being a bit higher and a touch softer. The shadow from her nose is harsh, but her engagement is the best in this one.

I hope that you take this constructively. :)

Even with the nose shadow?

Yep.. doesn't bother me. Move it higher and it would be even more noticeable any way, as it would be heading down her face as well as across it. As it is, it kind of mirrors the shape of her hair.

Yep.. doesn't bother me. Move it higher and it would be even more noticeable any way, as it would be heading down her face as well as across it. As it is, it kind of mirrors the shape of her hair.
Which is why I said that I'd soften it a bit. :)

What would make them less so? An explanation might be a little more constructive.

#1 works for me despite the fact she looks bored

#2 not so much because of her expression ( and to some extent the missing left hand)

#3 not at all. Too much lighting for me and the background's too sharp, but mainly it's her expression. What on earth is it supposed to convey?

As Dean says, what's missing is engagement by the model. She's not doing the biz with her face.

I tend to agree that the key light should have been a few inches higher in number 2. I don't like to see a horizontal nose shadow personally, so a slapped wrist for me there.

With regards to the model, this one stepped in at literally the last minute. The professional model I had booked was unable to come due to a flat battery.

I don't think this type of fashion style portraiture needs a story. They very rarely do have.

Which is why I said that I'd soften it a bit. :)

I was referring to you saying raising it. I'd have no problem with softening it a bit... although I do like the dramatic shadows.

I was referring to you saying raising it. I'd have no problem with softening it a bit... although I do like the dramatic shadows.
I know you were. I was saying that raising it and softening it would negate the effect that you highlighted.

Anyway, it's all good.

Story and engagement.
Still not an explanation.
"Story and engagement" Meaning what though? does there have to be a story and/or engagement?
I'm genuinely curious as to what exactly would be required.
My initial reaction was that they were good images, and I still think that.

Last edited:
Meaning what though? Why does there have to be a story and/or engagement?
I'm genuinely curious as to what exactly would be required.
My initial reaction was that they were good images, and I still think that.
There doesn't have to be anything. It's perfectly fine to take photos of pretty women in urban environments just for that reason alone. When I look at photos like this though I think what could make it more than just a picture of a girl. The best photos - especially those attempting to be fashion - have drama, engagement (meaning the model draws you in and has life and emotion) and a story.

There doesn't have to be anything. It's perfectly fine to take photos of pretty women in urban environments just for that reason alone. When I look at photos like this though I think what could make it more than just a picture of a girl. The best photos - especially those attempting to be fashion - have drama, engagement (meaning the model draws you in and has life and emotion) and a story.
Ok, so if you were taking these shots, how would you have achieved those things?
Again, a genuine question.

From a beginner, i'd say no.1 could easily be a single or album cover, second is only hurt by the nose shadow and imo, no.3 would be better if the model had a slight grimace or head in one hand if you can follow what i mean.

Ok, so if you were taking these shots, how would you have achieved those things?
Again, a genuine question.
I'm not an expert at fashion, and I acknowledge that this wasn't a pro model so accept the limitations, but I'd want to think of it from the same perspective a writer or director would. Why is she there? What's her story? You've got a pretty girl in a desolate wasteland. Why? What could you use to imply a reason for being there? Is she lost after a night out? Escaped from a kidnapper? I'd want to spice it up, but would only shoot it when I knew what I wanted.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with shooting whatever you like, but why not try for something great? :)

I'm not an expert at fashion, and I acknowledge that this wasn't a pro model so accept the limitations, but I'd want to think of it from the same perspective a writer or director would. Why is she there? What's her story? You've got a pretty girl in a desolate wasteland. Why? What could you use to imply a reason for being there? Is she lost after a night out? Escaped from a kidnapper? I'd want to spice it up, but would only shoot it when I knew what I wanted.

Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with shooting whatever you like, but why not try for something great? :)
Fair enough, but lots of questions, and no answers, so I'm none the wiser. What could be done to answer the questions? why is she there? What's her story? Is she lost? Escaped from a kidnapper? How could you answer these in the shot? What could be done to spice it up? Spice it up in what way? Less clothes? Ripped clothes?

Fair enough, but lots of questions, and no answers, so I'm none the wiser. What could be done to answer the questions? why is she there? What's her story? Is she lost? Escaped from a kidnapper? How could you answer these in the shot? What could be done to spice it up? Spice it up in what way? Less clothes? Ripped clothes?
I'm sure that you've seen enough movies or TV shows to know what I mean. If I give you answers it's just another formula. The entire point is to come up with a vision for the shoot.

I like them! Think they're fab, tres cool lighting. If I were to have any comment as a personal opinion only, I think she might sit a little low in the framing, and probably number three more than anything.
Awesome though as usual Ryan.

I like them! Think they're fab, tres cool lighting. If I were to have any comment as a personal opinion only, I think she might sit a little low in the framing, and probably number three more than anything.
Awesome though as usual Ryan.

Thank you very much Bethy, I really appreciate it. And I agree that there is a bit much head room in number three. I'm usually a really fuss-pot about that so another slapped wrist for me I think :D

Nice work. I especially like the composition in #1, the model is unusually central but it works. Shame about the grassy feet but not a major issue.
#2 is great, though the angle of (her) left foot is a bit awkward. I do like the use of hard light though I find the rim light a bit bright.
#3 is really engaging though the leading lines created by the pose do tend to drive the eye to the crotch area.

I've done the 'attractive woman in a decaying setting' thing only once myself. I see the appeal but I too struggle with the 'why' of it.

Back