Lavender field at sunrise

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
Yes
I got up last night to drive over to Mayfield Lavender. Only about 40 minutes from home so not too early!

I was hoping for a little more cloud in the sky to add some drama bit it was clearer than I would have liked. I was taken with the soft colours though before the sun came up, they complimented the lavender nicely.

Struggled a lot with lens flare, I had two stacked hard grads to hold back the sky (3 & 2 stop).

Taken from the public right of way which crosses the field and outside their boundary fence.

Here are the best from the morning.

Constructive C&C welcome.

1 - Taken before the sun breaks the trees. Afterwards too much flare.
Mayfield Lavender by Alan, on Flickr

2 - About 15 min after sun up, my favourite of the morning, I love how the light is illuminating the gazebo.
Lavender Dawn by Alan, on Flickr

Nice colours In the sky in the first shot! I went down there last night, great spot eh. Never know its so close to London.

Lovely tones at the sunrise hour....:)

Two good shots alan but I would be tempted to lift the shadows a little in the first. Love the band of light across the 2nd :)

The lavender makes for a lovely photo. especially in the soft sunrise/sunset light. I went to some on a rather breezy day last week and had to shoot some at 1/640 sec. to freeze it. I'll try again now the winds have dropped . Hopefully, most won't have been harvested.

I agree both are good shots but I too would lift the shadows in the first image. The lavender is your subject, but it feels a bit lost because it's hiding in the shadows. Nice images!
Thanks Steve, with hindsight you are right, the lavender does need a lift. I struggled to balance the exposure as the sky was brightening, I think I had 5 stops of grads stacked, and should have paid more attention in PP! Away to fix now!

Back