LC2's 52 Shoehorns, Cosplay and Steam Challenge for 2021 : Week 39 - Door

Lovely light in your shot Tim, well captured, good timing.

Lovely golden light. Really interesting as I wouldn't have thought of that for reflection, but it certainly is reflecting so fits the theme! That magic window of opportunity with the light. Perfect delivery time!
Like this Tim and good enough for the theme, as the reflection on the 6435 is showing some sky. Can't wait till the model ones of these start again in Hove park as the owners spend many amounts of money on them for the rides.
That's some cracking reflected light Tim (y)
Nice idea for reflection the light is hitting it just right
Nice choo choo, nicely illuminated.
Lovely light in your shot Tim, well captured, good timing.
Thanks eveyone. Yes, I was really lucky with the light.
We knew the loco was coming in (we had the signs out preventing parking) but didn't know when exactly.
It arrived about 15 minutes before I was due to head off home and that was just bang on for the light.

Nice little Panier Tank! It's reflecting for sure.

It's not screaming reflection at me, but it's a nice composition nonetheless.

Reflection
Captured at just the right time. One of the elements I enjoy about photography is getting an image that shortly afterwards has disappeared. Although just witnessing something without a permanent record other than in your mind can also work. Which reminds of this poetic masterpiece by William McGonagoll.

'The Coo':
'On yonder hill there stands a coo;
If it's a no there, it's awa' noo.'

Nice little Panier Tank! It's reflecting for sure.
It's not screaming reflection at me, but it's a nice composition nonetheless.
Nice idea Tim, it did make me think twice when I first saw it but the sunlight definitely gives a golden glow.
Reflection
Lovely golden light.
Reflection
Captured at just the right time. One of the elements I enjoy about photography is getting an image that shortly afterwards has disappeared. Although just witnessing something without a permanent record other than in your mind can also work. Which reminds of this poetic masterpiece by William McGonagoll.

'The Coo':
'On yonder hill there stands a coo;
If it's a no there, it's awa' noo.'
Cheers everyone. The light seemed just right to catch a glint shot. It was one of those times when the light was just right, for a few minutes only.

Certainly smooth water and I think it works better without an ND. Nice colours and an unusual low angle of view also works well. That non-straight line on the building on the LH edge is a minor distraction but otherwise - nice shot!

Wot no trains? :D

A nice reflections and low PoV Tim.

Nicely done with the kit. Just that big block of stonework bottom right is a bit too dominant. I'd have cropped it just below the boat.

Ticks the smooth box - I was going to say excellent hand holding, but I'm thinking perhaps the camera was on the floor... and rather close to the edge! Reflections all the better for having a few clouds in the sky.

Nicely composed low angled shot of the canal, works for me(y)
Cheers
Certainly smooth water and I think it works better without an ND. Nice colours and an unusual low angle of view also works well. That non-straight line on the building on the LH edge is a minor distraction but otherwise - nice shot!
I did ponder doing that.
Somehow the change of perspective gives the boat on the right less prominence.

TP 52 for 2021 : Week 11 - Smooth-2
by Tim White, on Flickr
Wot no trains? :D

A nice reflections and low PoV Tim.
We'll see what we can do.
Nicely done with the kit. Just that big block of stonework bottom right is a bit too dominant. I'd have cropped it just below the boat.
It's the tow path edging
Ticks the smooth box - I was going to say excellent hand holding, but I'm thinking perhaps the camera was on the floor... and rather close to the edge! Reflections all the better for having a few clouds in the sky.
Hah, yes, placed on the floor and pointed in roughly the right direction (no tilt screen on the 5D3).

Week 10 - Rough

Just for @Cobra, some railway pr0n.
There will be two types of wagon on most heritage railways. Those kept for show (private owner type wagons) and those kept for work.
The condition of these working wagons will be rougher than those kept for show.

I was in two minds which to submit to the main thread, finally deciding on the rough textures of the 3 link coupling and buffer bar over the general condition of the ballast wagon(s). But I think both would work and neither are of the usual shiny loco 3/4 shot type.

TP 52 for 2021 : Week 10 - Rough
by Tim White, on Flickr

TP 52 for 2021 : Week 10 - Rough - 2
by Tim White, on Flickr

The unusual pov makes a rather nice shot with great reflections. I find my head tilting slightly while I'm looking at it which is probably the slight angle on the building.

Nice bit of railway pr0n :)

Just for @Cobra, some railway pr0n.
It wasn't an invitation to post some some just an observation that you hadn't :p
Nicely rough though Tim (y)

Smooth ... Lots going on yet very peaceful, clouds in the water.

Rough .... Is that railway p0rn! I'm in love with the first one.

Hi Tim,
Loving the light for reflections. Looks like you were in the right place at the right time!
Smooth is a great shot too. Just the right shutter speed.
Rough - The first one for me. The surface rust makes it.

Smooth
I think a competition judge would say the large triangle area in the right is too much and unbalances the image. I would like to see the image slightly further left to reduce the visible ground although you might have been in the water to get that!!

Rough
They have seen lots of use, although it's amazing how quickly even new metal can show signs of rust. It's definitely big engineering when it comes to trains!! Well composed image, maybe a slight bit tight crop on the right.

The unusual pov makes a rather nice shot with great reflections. I find my head tilting slightly while I'm looking at it which is probably the slight angle on the building.
The re-edit was perhaps better (straightened - I couldn't decide whether to or not originally)
I like both of these, but really love the first!
Yes, I think the couplings are the stronger of the two, but I couldn't decide originally.
Nice bit of railway pr0n :)
:)
It wasn't an invitation to post some some just an observation that you hadn't :p
Nicely rough though Tim (y)
Yeah Yeah, we all know you love railway photos really !
Smooth ... Lots going on yet very peaceful, clouds in the water.

Rough .... Is that railway p0rn! I'm in love with the first one.
Up close and personal, so yes ;) Not shot at the Epping and Ongar though.
Hi Tim, two super shots, I love the water it’s as smooth as glass, and #1 for rough, lots of chunky rough texture ....spot on for the topics.
I was fortunate it didn't need any longer than I was able to achieve without NDs to smooth the water enough.
First shot for me, really is rough and rusty.
Cheers Dave. Proper working wagons, not the fancy stuff that's shown at galas
Hi Tim,
Loving the light for reflections. Looks like you were in the right place at the right time!
Smooth is a great shot too. Just the right shutter speed.
Rough - The first one for me. The surface rust makes it.
Cheers Lee. Just lucky with the clouds really.
Smooth
Nice reflection of the sky, good pov.
Thanks Dominic. I liked the low POV (and it helped with the longer exposure).
Smooth
I think a competition judge would say the large triangle area in the right is too much and unbalances the image. I would like to see the image slightly further left to reduce the visible ground although you might have been in the water to get that!!

Rough
They have seen lots of use, although it's amazing how quickly even new metal can show signs of rust. It's definitely big engineering when it comes to trains!! Well composed image, maybe a slight bit tight crop on the right.
I probably would have needed to be in the water yes, or placing the camera on mud (not happening ;) )
Rough
Great textures and tones in the rusty bits.
Cheers:)

Yeah Yeah, we all know you love railway photos really !
Its like coz play, I don't understand either but I'm happy to look and comment.
Unlike you and bugs :p

Nice image Tim :)

Reactions: LC2
Good work Tim, well done on getting out and about shooting portraits.
I think your model's expression perfectly sums up the 'mood' of the country IMHO..

Nice portrait and the expression says it all as Iain said above.

A good idea for a picture, different from the norm. I'm not sure about part of the hat missing at the top, is it to get the eyes/face framed correctly? Probably a naive question..

A good idea for a picture, different from the norm. I'm not sure about part of the hat missing at the top, is it to get the eyes/face framed correctly? Probably a naive question..
Yes, it's cropped in to frame the face nicely. The hat is quite large, so to retain the whole hat either the face would be on or below the bottom third, or a close up wouldn't be possible.
I quite often crop in like that when there is detail I want to capture / portray.

This shows how much further you would need to 'zoom out' to frame the face nicely whilst keeping the whole hat.

Pierre Garroudi Flash Mob @darcyroserivers
by Tim White, on Flickr

The hat missing in the first pic is a pity as her expression is great, maybe portrait orientation would have been better,
the second pic works because you can see her costume which I feel is important to the overall image.

minor niggles though its a nice image either way

Back