LC2's Cosplay & Railway Shoehorns for 2019 - COMPLETED - Week LII - Out Take

No2 for me - I hate that Tate Modern building with a passion lol.
Really? I quite like the building and used to love popping in at lunchtime when I used to work around the corner from there (these days passing it means I'm 2/5th of my walk to work).
No 1, because the way you've 'hidden' the entrance is really clever.
:) That was the general idea. Ta

Two great images Tim!
I like the simple composition, and the geometry of the first image, and the red welcome banner is definitely a focal point!
The second entrance is certainly a more grand offering, amazing colours and detail, and nicely symmetrical too.
I think I prefer the second one however....it's such an interesting frontage, and you've captured the impressiveness nicely!(y)

Two great images Tim!
I like the simple composition, and the geometry of the first image, and the red welcome banner is definitely a focal point!
The second entrance is certainly a more grand offering, amazing colours and detail, and nicely symmetrical too.
I think I prefer the second one however....it's such an interesting frontage, and you've captured the impressiveness nicely!(y)

There certainly is more to the Waterloo shot, but to me the busy feel actually takes away from it. The Tate Modern feels minimalist.

For those who don't know the Tate Modern. The welcome sign is actually above the doors (Jim evidently knew this :) )

Interesting variety of shots for FREE. I prefer the nurse shot, by the way.
ENTRANCE - I'll go with the second 'cos of the grandeur, but the entrance sign above the hidden entrance is interesting. Very Tate, methinks!

The first one as it’s a bit different the second one is obviously a fantastic piece of architecture but the first for its mundanity if that makes any sense

Entrance
I think you could possibly have cropped the puddles off of the bottom.
I like the inclusion of the two people on opposite sides of frame.

No 2 for me, as the Tate looks tatty. A good angle to take the shot on No2 and like it more.
Tatty? Not quite sure I follow you, it seemed remarkably tidy to me. Minimalist, but tidy.
Interesting variety of shots for FREE. I prefer the nurse shot, by the way.
ENTRANCE - I'll go with the second 'cos of the grandeur, but the entrance sign above the hidden entrance is interesting. Very Tate, methinks!
I believe it must have had something to do with deliveries, as it's actually the slope down to the turbine hall. But yes, it is in keeping with the TMs quirky nature.
The first one as it’s a bit different the second one is obviously a fantastic piece of architecture but the first for its mundanity if that makes any sense
Yes, it makes perfect sense. It was my choice of the two by a mile, but felt I should put the other option in too.
Entrance
I think you could possibly have cropped the puddles off of the bottom.
I like the inclusion of the two people on opposite sides of frame.
Well, as it was SooC, no I couldn't crop :)
I did take a number with different people in different places. This was my favourite and I do like the inclusion of the 2 people in this one.

I like the tate modern entrance. I reckon it would look even better as a letterbox crop just above the orange welcome to tate modern sign and above the puddle but I guess if it's sooc then that ain't happening ;)

Number two for me Tim, I like it. Feels a bit tight at the bottom, kinda like I want to see what's going on on the steps. But I can see why you've framed it like that to get the station name in. Looks like you spent some time squaring it all up, as all the lines are perfectly level and everything is symmetrical, nice job!

Oh no I'm not sure which on I prefer!

I like No 1 because of the wide view and the sign hidden away, but I also like No 2 because it's a nicer looking entrance!

I find the Tate shot a bit empty so it's the Waterloo shot for me Tim. Although it is busy so something in between maybe? I'm drawn back to the Tate shot because of the HHGTTG reference :)

Tate entrance is my choice, Waterloo does not jump out at me, I think because of the angle.

I like the tate modern entrance. I reckon it would look even better as a letterbox crop just above the orange welcome to tate modern sign and above the puddle but I guess if it's sooc then that ain't happening ;)
Hmm, not sure about a letterbox, you would miss the height of the building (not that you get the whole building in this shot, but you do get an impression of the size).
Number two for me Tim, I like it. Feels a bit tight at the bottom, kinda like I want to see what's going on on the steps. But I can see why you've framed it like that to get the station name in. Looks like you spent some time squaring it all up, as all the lines are perfectly level and everything is symmetrical, nice job!
It's railings and assorted street furniture, far better to crop it out.
Oh no I'm not sure which on I prefer!

I like No 1 because of the wide view and the sign hidden away, but I also like No 2 because it's a nicer looking entrance!
Don't you find the Waterloo entrance a bit unbalanced and busy? I do.
Entrance is No2 for me I am not a boxy fan if that makes ant sense lol.
Fair enough, we can't all like the same things :)
I find the Tate shot a bit empty so it's the Waterloo shot for me Tim. Although it is busy so something in between maybe? I'm drawn back to the Tate shot because of the HHGTTG reference :)
You're the first to acknowledge that reference :)
Tate entrance is my choice, Waterloo does not jump out at me, I think because of the angle.
Tate for me too.

The backgrounds for me are ruining the shots, I have no interest at all for cosplay its just not my thing Im sure you know that, but the backgrounds I find distracting, the guy at the Nougat stand keeps drawing my eye.
I know its out of your control somewhat and I don't know what the solution is.

The eyes and teeth seem very white also, just an observation.

The backgrounds for me are ruining the shots, I have no interest at all for cosplay its just not my thing Im sure you know that, but the backgrounds I find distracting, the guy at the Nougat stand keeps drawing my eye.
I know its out of your control somewhat and I don't know what the solution is.

The eyes and teeth seem very white also, just an observation.
I agree with Allan on the BG as some of your images are great but my eye gets drawn to the bloke in the BG and yes her eyes and teeth are very white.

I agree with both of you on the background, but as you say Allan, beyond my control really.
I think I would have preferred a busier background really, as the person/stall do stand out against the blank wall.

I did try content aware fill and some cloning, but didn't make a very good job of it.

Sooooo... A tighter crop?
DSCF1848-Edit2.jpg

I didn't fiddle with white balance. That's SooC from that perspective (I was using flash).
I did brighten the shadows, but looking back at the original RAW, that's how her eyes and teeth were recorded.

Haha - Groot-tastic :)

Aye the crop works!

The background didn't bother me to be honest but maybe the whole body would have made a good shot, too.
As it is, I like it and you have captured her expression well.

Very nice details for young. Have to confess that I have no clue as to who this sapling thingie is :) but, nice image, second one works perfect for crop and fantastic facial artwork

IMO the tighter crop really does make it In your Face and better.
Yes, it is better isn't it. I didn't think it would be.
Haha - Groot-tastic :)

Aye the crop works!
Good to see another GotG fan :)
Great image Tim, and the crop is an improvement! There's a pun in there somewhere....crop....Groot....trees...:giggle:
Striking whites (eyes, teeth), as you say SOOC, they're certainly a focal point.
Like it!(y)
She obviously does a good job with her dentistry.
The background didn't bother me to be honest but maybe the whole body would have made a good shot, too.
As it is, I like it and you have captured her expression well.
I do have full length shots, but tbh, I preferred this one.
Very nice details for young. Have to confess that I have no clue as to who this sapling thingie is :) but, nice image, second one works perfect for crop and fantastic facial artwork
You *need* to go watch Guardians of the Galaxy. Brilliant Marvel film that stands alone well in the marvelverse.

What I would like to know is how many bakers are actually on that street now? I'm assuming that's how it got its name.

Its got the word Bread not such a shoe horn

What I would like to know is how many bakers are actually on that street now? I'm assuming that's how it got its name.

Its got the word Bread not such a shoe horn
Excellent image Tim!(y)
Perfect framing, and the black border echoes the black edge of the sign.
I agree with Allan....not a shoehorn, since bread is food!!
Or perhaps it's relating to money....are there a lot of banks on that street?:giggle:

Okay, so the pair of you got me wondering about this, this morning.
Just along from Bread Street, on the southern wall of St Nicholas Cole Abbey there is this plaque:

Ward Of Bread Street
by Tim White, on Flickr
So Bread Street was obviously important.

Are there any Bakeries down there now? No, although there are some restaurants, one being Gordon Ramsay's Bread Street Kitchen, so maybe bread is baked on Bread St...

Was it named after a street of Bakeries? According to the font of all misinformation, wikipedia, that isn't the origin of the name either. It was actually the City's bread market; named "Bredstrate".

Another tidbit of info was that in 1302, Edward I announced that "the bakers of Bromley and Stratford-le-Bow [London], and ones already living on the street, were forbidden from selling bread from their own homes or bakeries, and could only do so from Bread Street.
This would tend to indicate that there were bakeries on the street, but that actually it was more important as a market for the selling of bread.

It was nothing to do with money @GarethB The Royal Exchange didn't open until 1571; the Bank of England in 1694; Lloyd’s Coffee House in 1688; and the London Stock Exchange in 1698

Interesting and good take on the theme. I really like how the light is falling on the sign, and also within the sign. Really clever and good use of historical stuff.
To be fair, the oval plaque wasn't my shot for the theme, it was the road sign. I added the plaque as part of my quick investigation into why the street was called Bread Street.
That said, whilst there was nothing much I could do about the light (fairly harsh mid morning), I do think it came out okay :)

Week XV - Above

What it says on the tin really...
I did take a umber of these shots until I got one where the aircraft was in the light so that it contrasted against the threatening sky.
It's a crop into a full zoom on a crop sensor. Not the sharpest in the world, but it was the contrast between light and dark that attracted me to this shot.

TP 52 for 2019 - Week XV : Above
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great minds think alike. Mine's is nowhere near as good as yours.
I've not got to your one yet Stan (doing a mega catch-up on comments), but I'm sure yours is great.
I do have the advantage of living almost under the flightpath, so can pop out into the back garden with a cup of tea and the camera.

Reactions: rpn
Thought there might be a plane shot this week as it happens we seem to have two bang on theme and nicely placed in the frame

Thought there might be a plane shot this week as it happens we seem to have two bang on theme and nicely placed in the frame
Thanks Allan. I was being lazy with this one really. Camera in one hand, cup of tea in the other.
If you're lucky, I might replace it with a cosplay shot from the convention in Taunton tomorrow.

Thanks Allan. I was being lazy with this one really. Camera in one hand, cup of tea in the other.
If you're lucky, I might replace it with a cosplay shot from the convention in Taunton tomorrow.
:wideyed:

I was going to do similar as I am on the flight path for the airport i work at, but now there are 2 of these I will ned to thank of something else. Nice shot, could maybe be improved with a little more exposure :)

A good shot for above Tim. I too really like the way the white of the aircraft Pops against the grey sky. If it were mine, I may lift the shadows on the underside a touch.

FOOD - interesting story behind the signs. I prefer the second I guess because of the light/shadows..
SMOOTH - ??
ABOVE - nice and sharp plane shot. Looks very good against the grey sky.

Back