LC2's Cosplay & Railway Shoehorns for 2019 - COMPLETED - Week LII - Out Take

Shoehorn or not, I like it Tim. On the map could be a New Route plus it goes well in mono.
The map page was chosen carefully by chucking the map on the table and seeing which page it opened on.
nice pic it does look well. good DOF pulls you to the middle.
Shows the effect of compression at longer focal lengths doesn't it. That was f/7.1

Last edited:
Nice one, Tim! Very clever idea to arrange the compass so that N, NE and W are all visible, and a map is the ideal backdrop :clap:

You've got the B&W technique ticked off early too, and I'm only disappointed that there's no Cosplay involved anywhere... Speaking of which, I also really like your ultra-honest thread title :D

That's very clever - I love the thought process and the image is very good, staged well and looks great in B&W

Nice one, Tim! Very clever idea to arrange the compass so that N, NE and W are all visible, and a map is the ideal backdrop :clap:

You've got the B&W technique ticked off early too, and I'm only disappointed that there's no Cosplay involved anywhere... Speaking of which, I also really like your ultra-honest thread title :D
I can't take all the credit for the idea, but I'm quite happy with how it came out. I did try a few different compositions and thuoght this the better of them.
I think I was far too "on theme" last year, I think I need to commit to at least 50% shoe-horns this year.
Cosplay Season doesn't start until the beginning of Feb (and railways the end of Jan for the GCR gala), so the shoe-horns will be even more contrived until then.
That's very clever - I love the thought process and the image is very good, staged well and looks great in B&W
Thanks Ian. The colour would have worked too, but a nice punchy B&W was what I wanted to go for.
Hi Tim, that's really nice. Great composition and works very well in black and white.
Thanks Michael :)
very clever idea, nice b&q conversation.
B&Q conversion? - Bloody Autocorrect ;)
Brilliant!
Clever interpretation of the theme, and well done for getting the technique in there too.
Great use of DoF, and works very well in B&W.
I guess that must be one of those new fangled GPS things?!:D
I hadn't even thought of contrasting with a GPS, lol, very good.
Nice take on the theme there. Like the composition and you have encompassed the B/W technique too.
I see what you did there ;)
That's a brilliant and very different take on the theme. Good composition, nice angle and tonal range too. Just can't find any negatives with the shot.
Great start to your 2019 challenge, Tim.
Ta Stan. I wonder if my showcase for 2019 will be shot #1 (like 2018). It may be all downhill from here...

Last edited:
I
can't take all the credit for the idea, but I'm quite happy with how it came out. I did try a few different compositions and thuoght this the better of them.
I think I was far too "on theme"

I see what you did there ;)

for 2019 will be shot #1 (like 2018). It may be all downhill from here...

Well that was a failed attempt at quoting!
But anyway......
I actually put one in my own post about being in Monopoli and having the seafront all to myself.... but nobody got that one!

one of my fave images for week1. Really suits it in black and white. makes you focus more on all the new routes you could take. A very lateral interpretation of the theme.:clap:

I really like that Tim, new horizons .... I thought of doing something with travel, but did a boring flower instead :oops: :$ works well in the b&w too.
it was the compass points Susie, and the map just worked as an appropriate background. I wish I'd titled it new horizons ;)
one of my fave images for week1. Really suits it in black and white. makes you focus more on all the new routes you could take. A very lateral interpretation of the theme.:clap:
In keeping with my general lack of ability to stay on theme eh Mandy? :)
Thats a clever take on the theme, and it works well in the mono a good strong start to your challenge.
Ta Mandy, yes I think the contrasty B&W conversion works nicely too. Takes away some of the distractions, such as the blue line indicating the border of the map.
Like the B&W, I think it’s N Ne W !
Indeed.. There's "N.E.W." in there somewhere :)

Like the interpretation, although I hadn't spotted the letters until I read your description. Before I read the description I was going to say that I might have liked a slightly higher viewpoint to see more inside the compass but with the extra information I see you got it perfect.

As others have said the B&W works well.

Tim

As always very clever, good bright conversion to B&W. Do you live in Wales or is that any old map.

Pete

Hi Tim, very good, I did wonder where you were going with this one. Looks good in B&W and you did manage to get Newton on the edge of the map :LOL::clap:

It looks like I have gotten a few of you into bad habits over the years :D
Nice one Tim (y)

Like the interpretation, although I hadn't spotted the letters until I read your description. Before I read the description I was going to say that I might have liked a slightly higher viewpoint to see more inside the compass but with the extra information I see you got it perfect.

As others have said the B&W works well.
There was quite a bit of moving the compass around to get as close to "NE W" as I could. Harder than it looks actually.
Tim

As always very clever, good bright conversion to B&W. Do you live in Wales or is that any old map.

Pete
It's an AA map of the UK, slung onto the table and open on the page it opened on :)
I live in civilisation (inside the M25). To be fair, I thought maps outside of our defensive moat of tarmac were just marked "Here Be Dragons".
Hi Tim, very good, I did wonder where you were going with this one. Looks good in B&W and you did manage to get Newton on the edge of the map :LOL::clap:
Blimey, you've studied the map far more than I did!!! As you know from previous years, I do like a few left field shots in my 52.
It looks like I have gotten a few of you into bad habits over the years :D
Nice one Tim (y)
We learnt from The Master Chris :)

Great image the B/W really suits it and using the map for background sets it off well.

Last edited:
NEW is a nice shot - just S left out :D

Week 2 : Clean

A bit boring really, and slightly different take on a shot posted on the 52 a couple of years ago (not by me).
The inclusion of the sock was deliberate to differentiate from the previous take on this and to add a dash of colour.

Long exposure. Natural (well, fluorescent) light rather than flash.

Not sure why the white at the top is darker than at the bottom.
A PABD really, so CBA to spend time masking and fixing it.

TP 52 for 2019 - Week 2 : Clean
by Tim White, on Flickr

Clean
Ok, so there's nothing wrong with the shot, but i can't look at it any more, it's on the wonk o_O :p

Like it, with the sock makes it much better than just an empty drum.
Cheers, I thought so too.
Clean
Ok, so there's nothing wrong with the shot, but i can't look at it any more, it's on the wonk o_O :p
The drum certainly is, it was deliberate, partly to keep the sock on the rib and partly because that's how I wanted it. It wouldn't normally sit symmetrically.

Cheers, I thought so too.

The drum certainly is, it was deliberate, partly to keep the sock on the rib and partly because that's how I wanted it. It wouldn't normally sit symmetrically.
I guessed it was a deliberate choice and I totally get your reasoning.

Back