LC2's Cosplay & Railway Shoehorns for 2019 - COMPLETED - Week LII - Out Take

Free week
It works well. It maybe a little over saturated for me, but the overall, good job.

Empty
It's not often you'll find an empty station. Good pov too.

Hi Tim,
I really like the shot for empty. The low PoV works really well.
Cracking portrait for your free week. I really like the colour pop too. I really must get myself to one of these events - there are some amazing photo opportunities.
Good framing and perspective in you shot for Building. It leads my eye right into the photo.

That's a lovely shot for building. Like the angle of view and the vanishing point. Are these scaffolds?
They are indeed scaffolding. It's a temporary foot bridge bridge over the Reading Main Line at Feltham
Like that Tim, great angle of view looking straight down the middle, does it need a slight tweak to straighten it?
Hmm, I'm not seeing any further tweaking, but then I know what it looked like before I straightened it!
Awesome shot for colour pop. Totally nailed that one. And your take on PLASTIC works for me!!
Cheer Bob. I do like the colour pop (and so did the cosplayer).
Nice trusses!:giggle:
I like the symmetry, and it's certainly an interesting perspective.
It's a smidge off centre, but since you risked life and limb getting in there to take this image, it's entirely forgivable!;)
Er yes, risked life and limb on some stairs ;) It was my favourite of the bunch I took.
Building
It's busy, but I actually think that works.
Cheers :)
Hi Tim,
I really like the shot for empty. The low PoV works really well.
Cracking portrait for your free week. I really like the colour pop too. I really must get myself to one of these events - there are some amazing photo opportunities.
Good framing and perspective in you shot for Building. It leads my eye right into the photo.
Cheers Lee. I do like the building shot. Even though there isn't anything really at the end, I too like the way your eye is really drawn through.
If you do go to a Comic Con, do bear in mind the accepted etiquette is to ask, rather than snipe.
The cosplayers are (in general) only to happy to pose, most will know appropriate poses for their characters and are more than happy to have a chat / explain who they are etc.

Like the scaffold shot for building, as for dirty it looks quite tidy to me if the trains the subject then it’s a bit lost for some reason to me anyway.

Like the scaffold shot for building, as for dirty it looks quite tidy to me if the trains the subject then it’s a bit lost for some reason to me anyway.
It could do with a bit more grime, but there certainly is some and I thought it worked on two levels (the actual dirt and S&D being known as slow & dirty). But I might just be geeking...

It could do with a bit more grime, but there certainly is some and I thought it worked on two levels (the actual dirt and S&D being known as slow & dirty). But I might just be geeking...

Maybe.....:exit:

Reactions: LC2
Dirty
I do like a good old train shot and it's not often you get to see the unglamorous side.

Great work Tim!

Dirty: Lovely to see these magnificent leviathans being cared for.
It's a great 'behind the scenes' image...unglamouress?..yes, but it doesn't look that dirty though, but I'll take your word for it that it is.;)

Dirty: Scary, psychotic nurses give me the heeby-jeebies!:giggle:
Great portrait and the blues work well with the pink costume.
Her disarming yet menacing expression is perfectly captured.

Its a strong world you inhabit, nice enough portrait and no BG issues,
you have hundreds of these now have you considered doing anything with them, a book or something

Great work Tim!

Dirty: Lovely to see these magnificent leviathans being cared for.
It's a great 'behind the scenes' image...unglamouress?..yes, but it doesn't look that dirty though, but I'll take your word for it that it is.;)

Dirty: Scary, psychotic nurses give me the heeby-jeebies!:giggle:
Great portrait and the blues work well with the pink costume.
Her disarming yet menacing expression is perfectly captured.
To be fair, that is one of the cleanest steam sheds I've seen, they are usually a lot grubbier. But still the dirty side of the railway when passengers don't go, vs the stations and carriages which are kept far cleaner in preservation than they would have been during the end of steam.
Its a strong world you inhabit, nice enough portrait and no BG issues,
you have hundreds of these now have you considered doing anything with them, a book or something
Getting close to 11k Cosplay images on Flickr Allan (probably over double that stored locally). I've never considered doing a book, but I am giving back to the cosplay community by sharing their images back so they can actually get 1/2 decent shots. When you are cosplaying you get so many pictures taken, but rarely get to see them. Everyone I take photos of gets details of where they can find the images on Flickr, FB & Insta.
The background is one I took with me to that event, which isn't something I can do for most conventions.

Loved your shot in the FREE week. The eyes really pop.
And what a delightful little station taken from on low. They seem to be replacing all these little stations like that up here with just open platforms which is a real shame.

Loved your shot in the FREE week. The eyes really pop.
And what a delightful little station taken from on low. They seem to be replacing all these little stations like that up here with just open platforms which is a real shame.
Cheers Joan. I do like the Free week shot :) The station is on the West Somerset Railway. If that hadn't been closed by Beaching, I suspect it would be little more than bus shelters by now too.

It’s definitely closed, I take it space or the surroundings were an issue with not getting the whole building in

It’s definitely closed, I take it space or the surroundings were an issue with not getting the whole building in
Yes. Heavy meshed fence that I needed to shoot over. Only having the 24-70 with me on the X-T2's cropped body I decided that going in tighter was the better option, rather than stepping back and shooting through the fence.

Hi Tim

Another Pub Closed, I wonder why so many struggle these days, while back in the day they made money. Good bet it's the amount of profit required by Accountants of the chain/brewies.

Pete

I think you did a good job keeping the fencing out, sadly a lot of places are going the same way.
Balanced on a wall to get over the fencing ;)
Hi Tim

Another Pub Closed, I wonder why so many struggle these days, while back in the day they made money. Good bet it's the amount of profit required by Accountants of the chain/brewies.

Pete
Smoking ban gets blamed a lot, and to be honest, GenZ don't go to the pub like we used to. The drinking culture doesn't get started at 15 like it used to.
A nice image of a sad outcome for yet another good old English pub.
Well framed given your constraints with fencing etc.(y)
Not quite so sure it really counted as a "good old English pub", but it was fun on the occasions I went there.

Week XXXVIII - Flower and Technique

Not my usual subject, but I was struggling to see how to shoe-horn a train or a Cosplay in for this (short of driving around the country to find 61306 - Mayflower).
So anyway... Playing with the Canon glass on the X-T2 again. Getting in this close, I think I might have benefited from a tripod, but some of it's in focus (and the DoF was really shallow at minimum focusing distance). The white lights behind the flowers are actually parked cars. I quite liked the effect, with them blurred out like that (or are they UFOs - I must stop reading that thread!)

Oh, and I've also posted in the current week for a change!

TP 52 for 2019 : Week XXXVIII - Flower
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
nice pink roses and the raindrops add a nice touch as does the dark BG

Ooo....I'm really liking that Tim!
The headlights are a nice effect to draw the eye to the petals, and the droplets look great!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've used two 'thirds' cross points haven't you? Is that legal?:D
Cleverly composed image!:clap:

Like it, great use of close up and DoF. Lovely colours and plenty of interest in the frame.

Flower
Their bright colour stands out well against the dark background.

nice pink roses and the raindrops add a nice touch as does the dark BG
Thanks Allan. Quite lucky to still find some this late in the year really.
I gave up with the UFO thread. Liking the flower shot too and the headlights helps make it.
Not headlights Dave, the sides of parked cars. Handy that they were both the same colour.
Ooo....I'm really liking that Tim!
The headlights are a nice effect to draw the eye to the petals, and the droplets look great!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you've used two 'thirds' cross points haven't you? Is that legal?:D
Cleverly composed image!:clap:
Yes @GarethB top right and bottom left thirds crossing points. The composition was SooC, not cropped too. :)
Like it, great use of close up and DoF. Lovely colours and plenty of interest in the frame.
Thanks Jim
Nice colour on the roses Tim, can't make my mind up on the bg though.
I guess it's not for everyone, but I liked the effect.
Flower
Their bright colour stands out well against the dark background.
Cheers Dominic.

I like the flower shot, something a little different there :)

Back