LC2's Cosplay & Railway Shoehorns for 2019 - COMPLETED - Week LII - Out Take

What an amazing image. Stunning detail and colour. Bravo

Crowd
That looks great. After 5yrs of taking photography more seriously, I have yet to try air show photos.

its just nice to see something different
Ah right, gotcha. I'm diving back into conventions from next weekend, so normal service may be resumed
Terrific, sharp and well timed image there Tim!
Glad you could show these young whipper-snappers with their new-fangled Fujis a thing or two!!:LOL:
Works well against the darker sky too.
Nice work Tim!(y)
The old gear doesn't come out much, but that's the kit with the longer lenses. I do think I will get a Fringer adapter soon, to adapt the L gear to my X-T3
Fab Arrers shot!
Well, it's 'okay'.
Really like time Tim, nice bit of framing there, steam in the bg too.

Crowd, A great shot of the Red Arrow's there Tim
I certainly prefer Time to Crowd. I have since pondered whether a frame around it would help it (but not bothered to try).
What an amazing image. Stunning detail and colour. Bravo
There were many other shots that didn't make the cut. I'd hate to try this sort of thing with film.
Crowd
That looks great. After 5yrs of taking photography more seriously, I have yet to try air show photos.
It's not something we do very often, but the lad & I have tried to get to Wings and Wheels each year. Shame it was the last one this year :/

Week XVIII - Crowd is a nice shot there. Always a good subject. id be happy taking that. Good job

Hi Tim

Time, clever use of the small window to frame your Time, not sure if the crop could be a bit tighter to get rid of the white bits top and bottom and centre the window as well. I like the way the steam is there to confirm you are at an old railway station.

Crowd, what is not to like, nice colours against the grey clouds, plenty of action and not a person in site, great image which fits the theme to perfection.

Pete

Week XVIII - Crowd is a nice shot there. Always a good subject. id be happy taking that. Good job
Crowd is a superb shot. Hats off totally!!
Thanks Bob and Chenti. I took quite a few shots in order to get that one. I suspect if I knew what the formations were going to be it would be a bit easier.
Hi Tim

Time, clever use of the small window to frame your Time, not sure if the crop could be a bit tighter to get rid of the white bits top and bottom and centre the window as well. I like the way the steam is there to confirm you are at an old railway station.

Crowd, what is not to like, nice colours against the grey clouds, plenty of action and not a person in site, great image which fits the theme to perfection.

Pete
Cheers Pete. I did ponder on (and try different crops), but that was the one I preferred. I wanted a bit of context, albeit not much, of being inside.
Whilst it was a miserable day at times at Wings and Wheels, it did at least mean the sky wasn't flat.

Wow, lucky find for Squash Tim, works very well, even your reflection adds something to the Image.

Pete

Loving the Comic Con stuff that you've shot recently Tim.

Cracking shot for crowd too. Great colour and detail. Perfect timing too.
Nice shot for squashed. You got a much nicer BG on your version than I did. Well seen and composed.

Well, another few weeks have gone by with no time :/

Great concept Tim, I like it!:clap:

Well framed and terrific use of reflections.
Thanks Gareth. I thought it different/interesting.
Wow, lucky find for Squash Tim, works very well, even your reflection adds something to the Image.

Pete
To be fair, I knew this was there, and I've taken shots using it before :)
I do like the way I've caught the camera bottom right, like yousay, it adds context.
Loving the Comic Con stuff that you've shot recently Tim.

Cracking shot for crowd too. Great colour and detail. Perfect timing too.

Nice shot for squashed. You got a much nicer BG on your version than I did. Well seen and composed.
Thanks Lee. There is likely to be a bit more comic con stuff as I catch up, seeing as they are taking up most of my weekends currently!

Week XXVIII - Wide

Taking it literally for a change, this was taken using the pano mode on the XT3, seeing what it would do.
I was relatively close and shooting from a corner, which I assume causes the focus to drop away (I wonder if AF-C would be the answer).
What does intrigue me about the shot is why the people in the background have come out like that when the foreground has come out okay. I suspect PS would have done a better job given the amount of shots taken in pano mode (not that you get to keep them, they are thrown away once the pano has generated).

Anyway. PABD!

Week XXVIII - Wide : Mos Eisley - Star Wars IV
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice panorama Tim.(y)
Certainly fits the theme!
A lot of work in that Lego model....it is Lego isn't it?
The background is curious though....not done many panos myself, but I suspect you're right that PS would probably make a better job.
Shame it bins the RAWs though....maybe a future fix in firmware could solve it, or better still, a Pano background fix!;)

Still a nice, detailed image Tim, and the background isn't too distracting.

Not sure what’s going on with that the rope across the front is distracting and i can’t really tell what it is sorry not your best work

Interesting shot for wide Tim. That must have taken a hell of a long time to build! I've had some strange artefacts in panos where someone moves whilst they are being taken - headless bodies, people with more legs than they really should have etc.

Nice panorama Tim.(y)
Certainly fits the theme!
A lot of work in that Lego model....it is Lego isn't it?
The background is curious though....not done many panos myself, but I suspect you're right that PS would probably make a better job.
Shame it bins the RAWs though....maybe a future fix in firmware could solve it, or better still, a Pano background fix!;)

Still a nice, detailed image Tim, and the background isn't too distracting.
That`s a good effort for wide Tim, never tried the X-T3 for any pano work but it`s a good job done.
Not sure what’s going on with that the rope across the front is distracting and i can’t really tell what it is sorry not your best work
Interesting shot for wide Tim. That must have taken a hell of a long time to build! I've had some strange artefacts in panos where someone moves whilst they are being taken - headless bodies, people with more legs than they really should have etc.
Yes @GarethB it is Lego. @Dave70D, @Allan.H it wasn't intended to showcase a good shot. I certainly had better ones, it was intended, as @Leebert notes, to show the really strange artifacts in the background of the shot, whilst ticking off the theme.

That`s a very nice shot of the Tiger 1 Tim, good oof BG and love the wisp of smoke at the back of the RC Tank.
Cheers Dave. The tank has a working BB gun, sounds and the smoke machine.
It would also launch itself over the kerb I've got it partially hidden behind, though like an idiot, when I took the sequence I'd left the camera in AF-S rather than AF-C, so it's all oof. Oops.

Week XXX - Free Week & Technique

A very simple desaturation whilst adding saturation to the eyes and changing the colour of the right eye using a hue/saturation adjustment layer. Actually I think it's an effective use of colour pop, especially as the red eye is a canon part of the TG Ghoul appearance.
The cosplay is of "Eto - The One Eyed Owl, from Tokyo Ghoul" if you want to see reference images.

Week XXX - Free Week & Technique : Eto / One Eyed Owl - Tokyo Ghoul
by Tim White, on Flickr

Free week is a cracking shot and take on theme Tim, you nailed the focus and the colour pop is IMO the best one so far on the theme so totally love it.
Blimey, you've beaten me to posting in the main thread!
I do like the effect on this, and the cosplayer loved it when she saw it yesterday.
There are some other versions and the original up on my flickr

Hi Tim

Interior, an Interior which is also exterior, nice image, well exposed, lots of sharp details to look at.

Plastic, my dad took pot shots at tigers in WW2 He was a Tank Commader in a Cromwell Tank, he landed at Gold Beach just after D-Day and was in the 11th Armoured Division and took place in Operation Goodwood and Bluecoat
https://erenow.net/ww/operation-bluecoat-over-battlefield-breakout-from-normandy/7.php
Then he was transferred to the 7th armoured Division(Desert Rats) and was at the Victory Parade in Berlin with his tank (Another Duffel Bag) as seen in https://adesertratstale.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/image34.jpg
Anyway the Perspective works well with the foreground and the details look good.

Free Week and Colour Pop, what an excellant Image, the detail in the eyes and hair is fanastic, works very well.

Pete

Hi Tim

Interior, an Interior which is also exterior, nice image, well exposed, lots of sharp details to look at.

Plastic, my dad took pot shots at tigers in WW2 He was a Tank Commader in a Cromwell Tank, he landed at Gold Beach just after D-Day and was in the 11th Armoured Division and took place in Operation Goodwood and Bluecoat
https://erenow.net/ww/operation-bluecoat-over-battlefield-breakout-from-normandy/7.php
Then he was transferred to the 7th armoured Division(Desert Rats) and was at the Victory Parade in Berlin with his tank (Another Duffel Bag) as seen in https://adesertratstale.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/image34.jpg
Anyway the Perspective works well with the foreground and the details look good.

Free Week and Colour Pop, what an excellant Image, the detail in the eyes and hair is fanastic, works very well.

Pete
Cheers Pete.
I read the article and the picture in berlin is really something isn't it :)
My youngest loves the German tanks and they do have a certain bearing to them don't they. And if Oddball likes them, my youngest can't be in bad company ;)

I do lve that cosplay edit. And going to mono turns the blue backdrop I put up into a concrete wall doesn't it :)

Nice to see you back and posting, interior is a nice take on the theme as it’s no longer inside :eek: works for me,
plastic a bit off the bottom might work better to much wall I feel.
Free week is one of the better versions of the colour pop thing on its own it’s a nice portrait well lit and a nice conversion to B+W

Nice to see you back and posting, interior is a nice take on the theme as it’s no longer inside :eek: works for me,
plastic a bit off the bottom might work better to much wall I feel.
Free week is one of the better versions of the colour pop thing on its own it’s a nice portrait well lit and a nice conversion to B+W
Thanks Allan.
The Cosplay one is the one I'm happiest with, but then I'm in my comfort zone there.
For plastic, you mean make it appear more of a pano? hmm hadn't considered that. It's not actually a wall, it's the pavement. The camera was sitting on the ground, but it does look like a wall, I agree.

Nice catch ups Tim, glad to have you back!(y)

Interior: Crisp and sharp, a very nicely taken image and some interesting history too.
Plastic: I like this image, great subject, nice and sharp, and very well taken with nice background too.
Free + tech: Excellent! I think this is the best use of colour pop so far! Incredible impact....cannot fault it!:clap:

Nice catch ups Tim, glad to have you back!(y)

Interior: Crisp and sharp, a very nicely taken image and some interesting history too.
Plastic: I like this image, great subject, nice and sharp, and very well taken with nice background too.
Free + tech: Excellent! I think this is the best use of colour pop so far! Incredible impact....cannot fault it!:clap:
Slowly catching up... Interior - Well, I do like castles :) Plastic - Not so sure on the background tbh, but it was the best available with the effect I was after. Free - I have to say, I was pretty happy with that one :)
yes leave some of it in, so yes I suppose a pano
something to consider :)

Week XXXIV - Empty

A deserted Crowcombe Heathfield station on the WSR.
Not strictly deserted, the signalman was in the box, but not visible in the shot.
Having driven to the station, given the single track roads it's unsurprising that there wasn't anyone there actually waiting for a train. It afforded a good opportunity to get down low and take this shot.

TP 52 for 2019 - Week XXXIV - Empty : Crowcombe Heathfield Station
by Tim White, on Flickr

Nice shot, it looks a very pretty place :)

Nice image Tim, as the others say the low angle suits it well. We have the SVR local to me but don’t seem to get the time to visit. I think they have the Britannia locomotive there at the moment so might pop by. I like the way the white edge leads the shot. The free week is superb. I love the whole picture! The eyes have it for me !

Last edited:
Back