LC2's Cosplay & Railway Shoehorns for 2019 - COMPLETED - Week LII - Out Take

Good idea , Tim, and you've done well with all the reflections and shiny surfaces. I did something similar in 2015 for 'Machine' (below) so that may be the one you remember? I've seen one since taken from inside the machine looking out, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable doing that with a camera!

I like the addition of the brightly coloured sock to add some extra interest and coloured reflections, so it doesn't bother me that the drum is 'wonky' as a result.

Just noticed that the link to your 'New' image is broken but it seems to be a forum-wide problem with some threads so hopefully it will be fixed.

13 Machine
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

PS: and now my image above isn't showing properly, but hopefully clicking on the link works if you want to see it.

Last edited:
New seems to have gone walkabout but I do remember seeing it, great idea well lit well composed one of the better ones of the week.
The washing machine drum also a good idea particularly the use of the sock I don’t think you need to fix anything, you are being a bit harsh on yourself.

I guessed it was a deliberate choice and I totally get your reasoning.
Cheers
Like the idea of leaving the sock in the drum, but not keen on the frame though.
No? I quite liked it. You may have to get used to frames on my shots ;)
The frame is ok and the sock adds to the overall effect. Right on theme and well-captured.
Ta Bob.
I don’t mind the frame Tim, I almost put one on mine this week as I rather like them. It clean and it’s shiny so it suits the topic perfectly :)
Frames rock don't they...
Definitely works for me, and the sock is spot on!;)
Nicely composed and well executed image.
Newbie question though:
What's a PABD? (I think I figured out CBA!):D
Stan beat me to it (and I see what you did there ;)
Post (Publish) And Be Damed.
There's nothing wrong with the image, Tim and don't be too hard on yourself. The colour sock definitely adds interest to the shot and something for the eyes to focus on. Initially, I wasn't too sure about the wonky drum either but after reading your explanation I do agree with you.
The white in the top corners is a bit grey. 30 secs was spent faffing and then I gave up :)
I was thinking of doing something like this but wouldn't have thought of adding the sock which was a good idea.
Andrea had done something similar (though I didn't remember it was Andrea) so I had to change something to make if different and the addition of colour seemed appropriate.
Good idea , Tim, and you've done well with all the reflections and shiny surfaces. I did something similar in 2015 for 'Machine' (below) so that may be the one you remember? I've seen one since taken from inside the machine looking out, but I'm not sure I would be comfortable doing that with a camera!

I like the addition of the brightly coloured sock to add some extra interest and coloured reflections, so it doesn't bother me that the drum is 'wonky' as a result.

Just noticed that the link to your 'New' image is broken but it seems to be a forum-wide problem with some threads so hopefully it will be fixed.

13 Machine
by Andrea Thrussell, on Flickr

PS: and now my image above isn't showing properly, but hopefully clicking on the link works if you want to see it.
Yes, it was your Machine image I'm paying homage to (I remembered the image, but not who posted it or when - which says a lot about your original image really, doesn't it :) )
Yes, "NEW" has disappeared :( It is a forum problem. I even tried re-adding the bbcode and it didn't help, hey ho, I'm sure marcel will f1x0r it soon.
New seems to have gone walkabout but I do remember seeing it, great idea well lit well composed one of the better ones of the week.
The washing machine drum also a good idea particularly the use of the sock I don’t think you need to fix anything, you are being a bit harsh on yourself.
Thanks Allan, I was pretty happy with "NEW", shame the forum software doesn't like it!
With "CLEAN" I needed to not simply replicate what Andrea did in 2015 and thought the addition of colour via the sock was that 'change' that allowed me to use the idea. (Shame the sock was actually waiting to go into the washing ;) )

Now if you could of got a shot with the sock falling in the drum, slightly suspended then wow for me ! I do like the sock though as it draws your eye

A nice image but for me The crop is a little tight, would like to have seen more of the drum. Socks really adds interest and contrast.

It's a fine image of a nice clean washing machine and a dirty sock :LOL: I do like the splash of colour, the cropping is a bit tight but its one of those "at what point do you stop" shots. I'm sure if you zoomed out there would be something you didn't like in the shot :D

Now if you could of got a shot with the sock falling in the drum, slightly suspended then wow for me ! I do like the sock though as it draws your eye
I pondered spinning the drum, but it doesn't spin for very long.
A nice image but for me The crop is a little tight, would like to have seen more of the drum. Socks really adds interest and contrast.
But then I would have had to clean stuff!
It's a fine image of a nice clean washing machine and a dirty sock :LOL: I do like the splash of colour, the cropping is a bit tight but its one of those "at what point do you stop" shots. I'm sure if you zoomed out there would be something you didn't like in the shot :D
Oh yes, much...

I thought I had commented on your first two, but evidently didn't, so here's a catch up....
New is a great image, works brilliantly in mono. It would no doubt do very well as a stock image too.
Clean, nice idea but I find the crop too tight.
Open, well, you couldn't get much more on theme than that!

I think there was a word needed have you not seen it? it would be spot on for this weeks theme ;)

Reactions: LC2
Does exactly what it says on the tin - I like it. Simple but very effective and nice range of colours

very nice and definitely open :)
Thanks
Great image that speaks for itself!
You can't get more on-theme than this!
Nice bright colours, good contrast and the black background gives it a super, punchy look!
Very nicely done Tim!(y)
The shop is under some arches at Waterloo, so almost always in shade, which gave me the idea to underexpose in camera and then exaggerate it in post to turn the background mostly black.
Worked out pretty well considering the TZ8 (yes 8) only produces jpgs.
Open I think it says glowing, a cool image Tim.
Ta Dave
I thought I had commented on your first two, but evidently didn't, so here's a catch up....
New is a great image, works brilliantly in mono. It would no doubt do very well as a stock image too.
Clean, nice idea but I find the crop too tight.
Open, well, you couldn't get much more on theme than that!
Clean was deliberately cropped in like that to remove the distractions of people walking past in the morning rush (and as has been said - looking oddly at me).
I think there was a word needed have you not seen it? it would be spot on for this weeks theme ;)
Nepo?
On theme and striking. Taken through a window judging from the condensation?
Yes, the sign itself is just inside the window. Actually I'm quite please the condensation is there as it proves it's not as soft as it initially looks (I think the neons give it a slightly soft look).
One of those simple but effective ones Tim, you can't get much closer to the topic than that!
Sadly I've been vaguely on theme every week so far.
That will have to stop.
Does exactly what it says on the tin - I like it. Simple but very effective and nice range of colours
Cheers Ian. So a B&W conversion wouldn't be for you? (I did try one).

New - I like the simplicity of the image and angle of the compass on the map. Works well in black and white with the contrast between the dark lines of the roads and the white background of the map. Didn't recognise any of the place names so I googled it and it's not as far from me as I thought it would be lol

Clean - The sock makes this image really interesting, especially as it's a funky colour. Nice clean washing machine too!

Open - My first thought was a also a neon sign, but I couldn't think of anywhere to find one easily lol. Clever of you to take it during the day and make it look nice and dark like a night time shot. Just enough colour to make it pop without being over the top. Can't really fit the theme any better either!

At first I could not work out what was at the top right and if it distracted me but the more I look I feel as it adds to the dimension of the shot, nice

Simple but very effective!
Thanks Joan. I went for simple with this one.
New - I like the simplicity of the image and angle of the compass on the map. Works well in black and white with the contrast between the dark lines of the roads and the white background of the map. Didn't recognise any of the place names so I googled it and it's not as far from me as I thought it would be lol

Clean - The sock makes this image really interesting, especially as it's a funky colour. Nice clean washing machine too!

Open - My first thought was a also a neon sign, but I couldn't think of anywhere to find one easily lol. Clever of you to take it during the day and make it look nice and dark like a night time shot. Just enough colour to make it pop without being over the top. Can't really fit the theme any better either!
Thanks Carl.. Week 1 has been my favourite shot of my 52 so far.
At first I could not work out what was at the top right and if it distracted me but the more I look I feel as it adds to the dimension of the shot, nice
I did consider removing it originally (there has been some cloning going on) but decided I wanted to keep it, to provide some context.

Absolutely love the conversion and detail in new. Clean makes my eyes hurt but I can’t say why. I like the green sock thrown in too. Open - brilliance in its simplicity, and nicely exposed. Distant, lots going on in the image but I do like my eyes being drawn down the track into the distance

Another +1 for the lead in through the track, and the focus on the signals

have you been playing on those railway tracks again, I agree with the comments above no complaints from me, well ok maybe crop out the distant signal on the left

Really like the week 4 shot. Track line taking me through the frame. The signals have loads of features to look at and focus looks good. The image comes alive with the steam from the engine too.
If it were my image I’d have loved to tinker with those clouds, you’ve got a great sky there. Good image !

Hi Tim,
Just getting round to catching up...

New - Not a shoehorn at all! Very cleverly thought out and a nice crisp mono image to boot. What's not to like?
Clean - Another clever and spot on take for the theme. Perfect symmetry and leaving the solitary sock in there was a great idea.
Open - Spot on theme that's for sure! The black BG makes it really pop out too (y)
Distant - The tracks really guide my eye between the signals although I do find the far one is a bit too close to the edge. I like the fact that you have got a train in steam in it too.

Absolutely love the conversion and detail in new. Clean makes my eyes hurt but I can’t say why. I like the green sock thrown in too. Open - brilliance in its simplicity, and nicely exposed. Distant, lots going on in the image but I do like my eyes being drawn down the track into the distance
Very nice image for distant Tim, like how the eye follows the track round.
Another +1 for the lead in through the track, and the focus on the signals
have you been playing on those railway tracks again, I agree with the comments above no complaints from me, well ok maybe crop out the distant signal on the left
Really like the week 4 shot. Track line taking me through the frame. The signals have loads of features to look at and focus looks good. The image comes alive with the steam from the engine too.
If it were my image I’d have loved to tinker with those clouds, you’ve got a great sky there. Good image !
Hi Tim,
Just getting round to catching up...

New - Not a shoehorn at all! Very cleverly thought out and a nice crisp mono image to boot. What's not to like?
Clean - Another clever and spot on take for the theme. Perfect symmetry and leaving the solitary sock in there was a great idea.
Open - Spot on theme that's for sure! The black BG makes it really pop out too (y)
Distant - The tracks really guide my eye between the signals although I do find the far one is a bit too close to the edge. I like the fact that you have got a train in steam in it too.
You've got it all in one there Tim, tracks, trains, and signals, perfect for the theme.
Just zoomed in and cropped that distant signal, I do agree, you seem to get more perspective of distance without it.

Thanks everyone.
I did try various permutations of including / cropping out the far Home signal, but decided on keeping it in as a subject for the leading lines to actually lead to. I agree it's a tad close to the edge, but due to the fact the photo was taken from a moving train, leaning out of the window, I didn't have a lot of time to concentrate on the edges of the shot and once the shot was straightened, it was a pretty much have it close to the edge or not at all.
@Chenti feel free to have a play with the sky and post back here :) I shot about a stop under due to the variable conditions and wanting the latitude to play with the light in post.
In the cold light of the day today, it looks perhaps 1/3rd of a stop under now.

Back