LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

Seems I wasn't alone expectI got a fine loco shot from yourself, then you go and pull a fast one on us. Power station, nuff said and tricky light like you say but nicely handled.

Challenging conditions with the bright sun but you coped with it well. Like the other comments I think it works well with the sun peeping out. Was Managing to keep the details in the brickwork without burning out the sun/sky tricky?

It doesn't get more iconic than Battersea power station I quite like the sun peaking out from the chimney
Cheers Allan. It was either that one, or a one with the sun completely hidden (creating a bit of a halo around the chimney), and I thought this one slightly better.

I too was thinking of Battersea Power Station and google informed me you can now access the riverside (first time since 1830!?). I've also learnt that they're putting a lift inside that chimney (FG).

But didn't really know what to expect when I got there and kind of lost interest.

This is an interesting update, and quality image with the sun through the crane like that. (y)
I didn't know about the lift, that is interesting, and if it's cheap enough would make for an interesting place to shoot from.
I quite like shooting the old power station (never urbexed it though:() and it is good to have this new angle.

As a concept I think the Battersea idea is really good but like you said the light looks challenging, I wonder what it would be like at a different time of day.

That's a very shiny engine and I didn't know about the power classification of locos so I learned something (y)
I've seen some shots with the light on the side of the towers, which are quite good. Check our Diamond Geezers blog.
I do like to educate with my railway photos :)

Cool idea for a power station Tim (I just got back from a power station shot too :D) liking the sun bursting through the chimney/crane line, nice effect :)

Loco image is nice too, especially now you have described what the numbers mean, nice angle too BUT i'm going for the Battersea shot for my choice (y)
Great minds think alike :) I like the loco shot, and it's not too much of a shoe horn, but I wanted to shoot something other than a railway image for a change.

Got too be the power station for me on Dark, really like the sun just coming through and some good dark places :)
Um, it was for Power, not Dark. Glad you liked it though :)

I was surprised there's no train shot for Power until I scrolled down.

Power; the building just says it all.
Glad I didn't disappoint, but I felt like doing something different, and now that a new angle was possible it would have been rude to not do Battersea.

I've been there on exactly that platform in front of the Battersea Power Station :) but it was a grey day so I didn't take any pictures... I rather like how the sun peeks out from behind that chimney. I wonder how it would look in the evening in that harsh light...
When did the platform open @brrnd ? I thought it was in the last few days, not more than a couple of weeks.
I think the lighting, which the sun partially obscured allowing the blue sky to be captured, makes the shot.

The bright sunlight definitely adds to the Power Station Tim, I like the angle with all those cranes in the background.
The train looks soooo shiny, it must have some very dedicated keepers.
76017 was only returned to service in (I think) September 2016, so the paintwork is still good (and the day of this shot was only the 4th day it's been steamed in 2017).
But yes, there are a gang of cleaners who try to keep these things shiny. (On heritage lines, if you want to become a driver you start as a cleaner and work your way up, just like in British Railways days)

Battersea power station and the power of the Sun, 2 for 1.
Cheers :)

Seems I wasn't alone expectI got a fine loco shot from yourself, then you go and pull a fast one on us. Power station, nuff said and tricky light like you say but nicely handled.
I don't like to be too predictable ;)

I think the sun and rays make the shot of the power station.
It did occur to me afterwards that I could have closed the aperture down a bit as I had plenty of shutter speed to play with (to see if Icould have got more of a starburst effect),
But yes, it wouldn't have been as effective without that light.

Challenging conditions with the bright sun but you coped with it well. Like the other comments I think it works well with the sun peeping out. Was Managing to keep the details in the brickwork without burning out the sun/sky tricky?
Pretty sure I was using Centre Weighting and exposed based on the building, not caring too much what it did to the sun as it was going to be a hotspot regardless.
It still needed the shadows raising and highlights darkening though. The Dynamic range of 80D RAW is pretty good.

When did the platform open @brrnd ? I thought it was in the last few days, not more than a couple of weeks.
I've been there last Thursday, I just wanted to see how close you can get on the river side and I was pleasantly surprised.

Dark just needs a couple from an old movie saying good bye on the platform, the 10sec exp works very well. Sound like it was a great experience.

Use to see Battersea on the occasional trip to and from Chichester, I like the fact you've used the sun just behind.

(y)

Lovely shot of battersea. What a nice day that must have been, so sunny! I think you're done a stellar job given the difficult light.

Sorry i haven't popped for a while, life's been busy some really great captures for the themes just to many for me to crit individually. The images that stand out for me are structure, numbers and dark.

This is my first visit since week 0 so a lot of themes to catch up on! I've smiled throughout the thread at your determination to make as many images as possible railway related, and you've picked your subjects well. Favourites so far are the cute soft toy in Comfort, who looks very comfortable indeed, the wagon in Whole for the bold impactful colour, the close crop of the engine for Routine because, as you said, it really does convey the sheer majesty of these beasts, and the atmospheric and well-processed Dark, which is probably my pick of the whole thread so far; an excellent image (y)

Dark just needs a couple from an old movie saying good bye on the platform, the 10sec exp works very well. Sound like it was a great experience.

Use to see Battersea on the occasional trip to and from Chichester, I like the fact you've used the sun just behind.

(y)
Yes, I know exactly what you mean, that was exactly the feel I was trying to go for. (Although if you look closely, behind the loco it is actually a crane & guards van, not coaches).
I've used Battersea power station quite a few times over the past few years of the 52, you can almost document the changes from the shots.

Lovely shot of battersea. What a nice day that must have been, so sunny! I think you're done a stellar job given the difficult light.
It was a beautiful day. When I saw the position of the sun and the locations I could get to, the obvious shot to take was the one with the sun behind the chimney :)

Sorry i haven't popped for a while, life's been busy some really great captures for the themes just to many for me to crit individually. The images that stand out for me are structure, numbers and dark.
Interesting choices there Mandy. Dark I totally agree with, but Numbers I thought was a bit weak (however, having spent so much time and effort getting there, I was going to post it regardless).

This is my first visit since week 0 so a lot of themes to catch up on! I've smiled throughout the thread at your determination to make as many images as possible railway related, and you've picked your subjects well. Favourites so far are the cute soft toy in Comfort, who looks very comfortable indeed, the wagon in Whole for the bold impactful colour, the close crop of the engine for Routine because, as you said, it really does convey the sheer majesty of these beasts, and the atmospheric and well-processed Dark, which is probably my pick of the whole thread so far; an excellent image (y)
Don't zoom in on Comfort though. I really should have given Oleg a hoover before taking the shot.

Week 14 : Evolve

Evolution of the trains on the Waterloo - Exeter (West of England) main line.

Post WWII Bulleid's Light Pacifics would have been seen hauling Waterloo to Exeter services alongside their more powerful Merchant Navy cousins. Image #1 is of a rebuilt light pacific, it is actually 34046 (Braunton) masquerading as it's scrapped classmate 34052 Lord Dowding.

Once displaced from the Great Western mainline in the late 70s by the new fangled HSTs, the Class 50 (Hoovers) made there way onto the Southern Region West of England services between Waterloo, Salisbury, Exeter and Plymouth. Image #2 is Class 50 50027 - Lion in revised Network South East livery as she would have been seen on this service.

Even to this day, the Waterloo to Exeter route has not been electrified, so this service is the only South West Trains service out of Waterloo that is still operated by Diesel. Image #3 show a pair of SWT class 159 DMUs crossing between Hook and Winchfield in Hampshire, the one facing is the service to Exeter, the one going away is the service from Exeter.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 14 : Evolve
by Tim White, on Flickr

The writing accompanying the picture might as well be in Chinese , but luckily its not needed to understand it good strong triptych

You know your trains! Well thought out and nicely presented.

Good triptych for evolve, I like how it somehow feels like some thing has been lost with the more modern engines.

Evolve - Nice idea and well put together. Thanks for the info on the trains as well, I know nothing about the history so nice to learn something new. They are three strong shots, I personally find the steam train the most interesting but it's a slight disappointment that it has those distracting poles in front of it. The other two shots are nice and clean and sharp.

Above - Your right, definitely looks better against a blue sky. Again nice, with the light on the front helping giving it some shape/definition. Is this a crop? I would maybe have preferred a bit more space around it.

Evolve - Nice idea and well put together. Thanks for the info on the trains as well, I know nothing about the history so nice to learn something new. They are three strong shots, I personally find the steam train the most interesting but it's a slight disappointment that it has those distracting poles in front of it. The other two shots are nice and clean and sharp.

Above - Your right, definitely looks better against a blue sky. Again nice, with the light on the front helping giving it some shape/definition. Is this a crop? I would maybe have preferred a bit more space around it.
In years gone by railway lines were foten lined by telegraph poles as they were good routes between towns for the lines to be strung. It doesn't happen these days, but having the telegraph poles is pretty prototypical.

The Airbus shot isn't cropped, flickr would let you download the full 6000x4000 file if you wanted to. It was zoomed to 370mm though.
Mind you, this one was at less than 200mm https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/33660143405

Good Airbus shot, goes very well against the lovely blue sky :)
Cheers Dave. Blue skys work best, unless I was at an airshow I wouldn't bother taking aircraft shots against a grey sky.

Evolve, a nice take and on theme too Tim, really do like the old steam train plus like how you got the three shots together :)
Ta. I had the idea for the shot, but it took time to get the 3 images before I could post it.

Nice tryptych, I like that....
Thanks Mark

That's a clever idea well presented Tim (y)
Cheers Emma

The writing accompanying the picture might as well be in Chinese , but luckily its not needed to understand it good strong triptych
Ta Allan. I'm glad you liked the triptych without having to decipher my hieroglyphs.

Good idea, can't beat the steam engine tho :)
Each shot has it's merits, the two units are the weakest imo, not helped by the weather.

You know your trains! Well thought out and nicely presented.
Ta Brrnd.

Good triptych for evolve, I like how it somehow feels like some thing has been lost with the more modern engines.
I agree Chris, certainly with the units anyway. I actually like the big diesels, they have their own attraction and they are the locos I grew up with, not the kettles.

Three crackers showing a great evolution of the railway. Combined, they look magnificent. Nice work :)
Thanks Gremlin. I think it worked quite well showing the evolution (albeit missing out great chunks of history).

In years gone by railway lines were foten lined by telegraph poles as they were good routes between towns for the lines to be strung. It doesn't happen these days, but having the telegraph poles is pretty prototypical.

Thanks for the explanation, It was purely a comment in comparison of the first picture to the other two but as it's something that would have been seen it makes sense to have them there.

The Airbus shot isn't cropped, flickr would let you download the full 6000x4000 file if you wanted to. It was zoomed to 370mm though.
Mind you, this one was at less than 200mm https://www.flickr.com/photos/timw1/33660143405

I hope I haven't offended you, I wasn't wanting to be negative to the shot you have taken which would be beyond me to do, It was just a thought that a little more room around it might have my preference but I don't want to take away from the quality of what you have achieved.

Evolve ... had to be trains Tim (y) ... nicely put together. The old train is best not just because old is best but it's a real nice composition.

Above ... nice exposure, good detail all round (y)

I hope I haven't offended you, I wasn't wanting to be negative to the shot you have taken which would be beyond me to do, It was just a thought that a little more room around it might have my preference but I don't want to take away from the quality of what you have achieved.
No offence taken. I could have given it a bit more space, it's just that they are still pretty low over my garden, so I tend to fill the frame.

Had to wait for the right weather... you are in the wrong country for that to be used very often :LOL:

A real nice clear shot in the end Tim (y)
I dunno, I think it's a pretty good excuse ;) It really was the first time we'd had the right light, sky and wind direction since the theme was pulled.

Well worth the wait and well timed. Clear and good focus with full flight details information.
Flight24 has it's uses. Pixel peeping and it's not quite as sharp as I'd like, I really ought to have a play with FoCaL or chop it in for a 150-600 maybe. It is quite an old lens.

I thought that was your shot for hold at first - would have been the perfect pov for it! Very well focussed.
I did think about it ;)

Evolve ... had to be trains Tim (y) ... nicely put together. The old train is best not just because old is best but it's a real nice composition.

Above ... nice exposure, good detail all round (y)
Agreed, the kettle is the better shot, but I did need all three to tell the story.

<pedant-mode>Isn't that steam?</pedant-mode>
Nice little tank engine though

Your above shot is superb, for something that is going at speed in fact looks like its at a stand still, very clever.:clap:

<pedant-mode>Isn't that steam?</pedant-mode>
Nice little tank engine though
There is the faintest hint of smoke (exhaust) from the chimney though...
They are properly small those A1X Terriers
In this shot, the black loco behind is a Ivatt 2MT, the smallest loco we have on the Mid Hants (excepting Thomas).

A1X (TERRIER) CLASS 0-6-0T NO.W11 NEWPORT
by Tim White, on Flickr
Compared to the Terrier, it looks huge.

Your above shot is superb, for something that is going at speed in fact looks like its at a stand still, very clever.:clap:
It wasn't going all that fast Shirley. Probably no more than 10mph (speed limit on that bit of track is 15).
Nice little thing isn't it. I like the colours and colour matching.

Back