LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

Hold, what a great take on theme Tim, like the main focus on the Lock gate with just a bit of water seeping through (y)
Thanks. I thought it worked okay.

Looks like you had difficult lighting to deal with there Tim, nice to see you stray away from the tracks every now and then, glad to got towards the edge to get the lines leading (y)
Mid-day, so harsh light, but it didn't come out too bad. I may have strayed from the tracks for Hold (& Architecture) but there is still a theme of transport / heritage going on.

Hold, good idea for the theme, nicely caught.
Smoke re-shoot, definitely more smoke in that one (y)
Architecture, is that the same lock as hold? I like the view down the canal and the buildings on the left add the architectural reference but I wonder if they would have stood out a bit better in colour?

Hold, good idea for the theme, nicely caught.
Smoke re-shoot, definitely more smoke in that one (y)
Architecture, is that the same lock as hold? I like the view down the canal and the buildings on the left add the architectural reference but I wonder if they would have stood out a bit better in colour?

Yes, it's the same lock, but the second one was taken from the bridge below the lock. I took several different angles and a couple of different locks, but preferred these.
I think the colour version is too 'chocolate box'

Norwood Top Lock - Hanwell Flight
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi Tim, that's an excellent choice for hold, well composed with the colourful barges in the background. A total contrast for Architecture with the b&w but that works so well too ...that's a great angle.

That definitely looks like proper grimy Smoke in your re-shoot.

I think your submission for architecture works better in B&W. Great idea, and great PoV!

Cracking idea for Hold.

And that sure is Smokey.

The lock with its dirty water and weeds looks better in colour but a lot of the BG stuff becomes more of a distraction.

Last edited:
Smoke reshoot, because of the haze you did a good job, and nice that you kept the traintracks front and back in too :)

Architecture, locks goes very well in mono as it also helps the sky in the BG :)
Thanks Dave.

I see what you mean (y)
:)

Hi Tim, that's an excellent choice for hold, well composed with the colourful barges in the background. A total contrast for Architecture with the b&w but that works so well too ...that's a great angle.

That definitely looks like proper grimy Smoke in your re-shoot.
Ta Susie. I think I managed to get two different images from the same shoot, so :)

I think your submission for architecture works better in B&W. Great idea, and great PoV!
Cheers brrnd. Me too.

I love that take on hold with the gates as the clear focal point but a hint of context with the barges in the background. The mono on the reshoot for me - it seems to hint at the lock's past.
It does indeed hint to the past. Shame about the modern buildings that now surround it.

Cracking idea for Hold.

And that sure is Smokey.

The lock with its dirty water and weeds looks better in colour but a lot of the BG stuff becomes more of a distraction.
Possibly a different crop would allow the colour version to work, but for the full image, I defo prefer the b&w.

Week 20 - Broken

Signal Box awaiting restoration - When complete this will be used as an educational area to teach visitors how signalling works.
But for now, it is awaiting it's turn in the restoration queue.

Taken with an old 350D coupled to a Holga Pinhole lens.
Sharpened, contrast and clarity added, and then a Holga-ish filter applied in picasa.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 20 : Broken
by Tim White, on Flickr

I suspect this will go down as well as my pinhole efforts last year ;)

Good effort, I like it, for me it suits both the theme and the subject. I keep thinking of messing around with pin-holes which is something I have not done since I were a lad, perhaps this will get my bum in gear.

Well I like it, I suppose working out the correct focal distance from pin hole to sensor would be a nightmare. Its nice to see something differrent

Great effort, works well for the subject. And isn't that what the 52 is all about? Leave our comfort zone? I like it...

Now I've read your explanation of how the shot was taken, well done, and it fits the topic so can't complain their either.

Hi Tim, a little catch-up from me as I haven't been around for a few weeks, so I've picked out my favourites from your recent themes. The triptych for Evolve is interesting with a set of colourful images, and your image for Large works because of the low POV and the engine looming above. I like the heavy B&W processing too, which adds to the period feel. The choice of a lock for Hold was a great take on the theme and then I saw the other lock for Architecture and like that one even better. The B&W processing really suits that image, as does the vertical composition. Broken is an interesting one; at first I didn't like it but on reflection the method seems to suit the subject - I think the strong contrast between the light and dark areas helps - and as Emma says it has a ghostly feel (y)

I tried it years ago and thought, no it`s not for me this pin hole stuff :)
It was always going to be a Marmite image, and you're coming from a position of having tried it yourself :)

Good effort, I like it, for me it suits both the theme and the subject. I keep thinking of messing around with pin-holes which is something I have not done since I were a lad, perhaps this will get my bum in gear.
The Holga was only a few quid on amazon, though I've seen plenty of tutorials which make use of coke cans and body caps.
I'm fairly sure that if you make your own, you can get better images, I've certainly seen sharper pinholes than the holga manages.

Well I like it, I suppose working out the correct focal distance from pin hole to sensor would be a nightmare. Its nice to see something differrent
It also helps divert attention away from the fact that in essence, the shot is of a shed that's falling apart and a shipping container. Hardly the most inspiring.

Great effort, works well for the subject. And isn't that what the 52 is all about? Leave our comfort zone? I like it...
It is @brrnd, though I will probably leave it at 1 pin-hole per year.

Now I've read your explanation of how the shot was taken, well done, and it fits the topic so can't complain their either.
Cheers Chris

That really is something different - I've always wanted to try a pinhole camera. I think the shot has a sort of ghostly feel that suits the theme well.
I used an old body for the shot (350D). One thing to bear in mind is that you are shooting with a really high F/stop, so every piece of dirt on the sensor shows up.
I spent far too much time on this image with the spot healing tool !!!

Hi Tim, a little catch-up from me as I haven't been around for a few weeks, so I've picked out my favourites from your recent themes. The triptych for Evolve is interesting with a set of colourful images, and your image for Large works because of the low POV and the engine looming above. I like the heavy B&W processing too, which adds to the period feel. The choice of a lock for Hold was a great take on the theme and then I saw the other lock for Architecture and like that one even better. The B&W processing really suits that image, as does the vertical composition. Broken is an interesting one; at first I didn't like it but on reflection the method seems to suit the subject - I think the strong contrast between the light and dark areas helps - and as Emma says it has a ghostly feel (y)
Thanks for the catchup comments Andrea. You've picked up on exactly the thoughts I had for each of the shots you've commented on, so I guess that means they worked / conveyed what I was trying to represent :)

Clever doing a pinhole (?) but a prime lens would have worked better. :exit:

Week 21 - Transport

It had to be really, didn't it...
The Flying Moneypit on one of it's 'secret' tours, this one was the Salisbury to Victoria 1Z82, 31/5/17.
There has been a fair amount of work on the photo, as (to be expected) there were a good number of spectators, and the original image had a number of children's waving arms in it. The location has become a tad more overgrown since I last used it too.

LNER Class A3 60103 Flying Scotsman
by Tim White, on Flickr

Well I never thought you would use a train :p
classic train shot which everyone was expecting, you have done a great job cloning out the people

Can I ask a dumb question Tim; if that's the Flying Scotsman why does it have a plate with the Cathedrals Express? Do they switch them around and is that simply a heritage money making thing? :confused:

Great shot and good DoF for f2.8. No trace of the cloning either;)

Can I ask a dumb question Tim; if that's the Flying Scotsman why does it have a plate with the Cathedrals Express? Do they switch them around and is that simply a heritage money making thing? :confused:

Great shot and good DoF for f2.8. No trace of the cloning either;)
Ref the cloning - It jumps right out at me, but I know exactly where to look. It wouldn't pass muster under any really examination.
Still, it's better than arms and phones...

Regarding the headboards

"Flying Scotsman" is the name of the locomotive, and that is on the name plates above the centre driving wheels
"The Flying Scotsman" is the name of an express train that has run between Edinburgh and Kings Cross since 1862 (Currently departs Edinburgh at 05:40, arriving in London at 09:40).
All train companies named their premier services, for instance the Southern had the "Atlantic Coast Express", "The Cunarder", etc.

The headboard is simply the name of the train. Cathedrals Express is the (roving) name of the service put on by Steam Dreams. It was originally so named because it ran between two cities with Cathedrals,and it has stuck, regardless of where they now run.

Ah! a train for Transport and why not! And thanks for the info re the names ... fascinating.

A perfect fit to the theme. Everyone loves a steam train - there's just something about them. Great shot and well done on the cloning. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have known!

A beautiful train shot, good light, good processing (and cloning) (y)

Hi Tim, getting round to commenting at last. Its taking me ages so just picked a few. I prefer the full picture for routine as you get more of the story with that one. Love the Dark shot very atmospheric. The low pov and the B&W work really well for Large. The lock for Hold is a great idea and the angle works well too. It is good for architecture too tho I might have tried to get a little lower but I guess the bridge is probably in the way then :)

Never one to disappoint when it comes to a theme like this Tim, though I am sure you will shock me when 'Train' actually get pulled out of the bag and you post a wedding dress :D
You know what DK, if "Train" was actually a theme, the one thing that I would do my best not to post woulld be a loco :)

Good job with the cloning and nicely captured
There is a bit about it which (when viewed at 100%) is a bit too repetitive.

Ah! a train for Transport and why not! And thanks for the info re the names ... fascinating.

A perfect fit to the theme. Everyone loves a steam train - there's just something about them. Great shot and well done on the cloning. If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have known!
I should have kept quiet about the cloning perhaps, but...
Everyone does seem to love that loco in particular, I suppose it is the shape that most children would have drawn as a picture of a train in years back (not sure it would happen now).

That's different from you this week, Tim. :)

Another beautiful train shot. Details and sharp. You've done a great job with the cloning. :clap:
The sky could have been better, but you have to work with what is available sometimes.

A beautiful train shot, good light, good processing (and cloning) (y)
I seem to recall the light was quite flat, yes, looking back at the original, there was quite a bit of work to polish that shot.

Hi Tim, getting round to commenting at last. Its taking me ages so just picked a few. I prefer the full picture for routine as you get more of the story with that one. Love the Dark shot very atmospheric. The low pov and the B&W work really well for Large. The lock for Hold is a great idea and the angle works well too. It is good for architecture too tho I might have tried to get a little lower but I guess the bridge is probably in the way then :)
HI Georgina,
Over time I think Ihave come to appreciate the bigger picture for routine, though it does tell a different story to the one I went with, the chap oiling the motion is going through his routine. Dark is my favourite shot this year. Glad you like it. You're right about the available angles for Architecture, it was taken with the camera sat on the parapet of the bridge, so was as low as could be achieved, taken from further down the canal would have meant having the bridge hide the lock and also would have meant swimming in the canal ;)

Week 22 - Minimalistic

I took a couple for this theme today
This was my first shot, which I think works quite nicely with the bokeh leaving a simple portrait of the pineapple finial

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 22 : Minimalistic
by Tim White, on Flickr

But then I took this one which I felt gave a view on minimalist engineering, this is an internal combustion engine at it's most simplistic. Fuel, Oil, Spark and air cooling. Beautiful.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 22 : Minimalistic
by Tim White, on Flickr

Hi Tim,

Transport - it had to be a train for you :) Thanks for the info about the name as well, I know nothing about trains but it's nice to learn new facts. Nicely composed, I even like the OOF plant in the foreground.

Broken - Good to see something different, I've never had a go at pinhole photos, will have to look up how to go about it. It certainly has a different feel to it and I like it, especially with the subject and the theme.

Minimal - It's a subject I struggled with even though I generally enjoy minimalistic shots. You have two interesting takes on the theme and I go for the second one, not minimalistic in the sense I would have thought of but a good interpretation non the less. I like the framing,especially with the number across the top. The shadows feel a little dark to me but that could be my monitor.

Love the engine shot, the beauty of ring dings is their simplicity.....

Back