LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

Clean ... fab portrait ... whatever that's all about. o_O:D

Curves ... you've brought out the clean oiliness. (y) in the train wheel ... and red arrows: Wow.

Hi Tim, three very good takes on theme all very nicely taken, of the three my pick is the #2 with the Reds coming at the viewer while curving at about 4gs great set (y)(y)
I almost picked that one. I think it is maybe the better image, certainly technically, but I just loved the colours of #3.

I thought a train might well appear is some form, but all three shots work well, but I can see why you prefer the 2nd red arrows shot you look to be right in the action
I'd hate to disappoint by not bringing forth a train ;)
We got to Wings and Wheels quite early and were able to get set up at the front, quite close to the middle of the runway, so in a really good position for a lot of the displays.
I must say that there seemed a lot less people attending now that XH558 is no longer flying.

Looking at your first shot, I think you might have enjoyed the steam fair I went to yesterday :) My favourite is the first Red Arrows shot. I like the contrast of the crisp white against the red and blue, although the second one is a bit more curvy. All three fit the bill though (y) Nice set.
Having seen your shots, I think I would :)
I knew the choice between the two RA shots would be contentious.

Hi Tim, I really like your image for Contrast. At first I thought it was about the contrasting colours and textures between the rails and bricks and the natural foliage around them, but then of course I noticed the rails. What a difference! A really interesting and unusual image (y)

Clean is striking and the red eye really stands out due to your cropping/composition, and you have three good takes on the theme for Curves. Like you, although #2 is probably the 'better' image of the Red Arrows display, I like the drama, movement and colourful curves captured in #3 so that would get my vote.
Contrast was one of those shots that you don't realise you've got until you look back through them. I agree it's not your usual shot.
There wasn't too much cropping for the eye shot, I was deliberately aiming for something like that as the eye defines the character.
YaY a vote for RA #3

For me, I like the train wheel best for curves. It's striking, like some mechanical eye. The red arrows pictures are good but I prefer the simplicity of the first image.
An interesting perspective on my shots, thanks for that. Though, once you've seen quite how many steam locomotive shots I shoe horn in... ;)

Three beautiful shots for Curve. Love the details of the first and the colourful trails of the last Red Arrows shots.
Cheers Stan. The first really was just a banker in case I didn't get anything else. Though it was carefully taken and framed, so not simply a snap.

Clean ... fab portrait ... whatever that's all about. o_O:D

Curves ... you've brought out the clean oiliness. (y) in the train wheel ... and red arrows: Wow.
I thought I'd posted info on Tokyo Ghoul, but cant see see it, so https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Ghoul gives the story to the character.
Glad you like the RS shots, I am quite pleased with them.

Curves #3 for me, a little under exposed on my Mac but well composed/detail.

Cheers.
You could be right. I deliberately took the shots about -1 stop, to prevent the sky washing out, with the aim of bringing it back in pp. It is perhaps a little dark, but I don't think it's far off (especially when you zoom in).

I really like the tight crop of your clean shot Tim - so effective.
It is a pity about the top of the railway bridge, but I love the curves of the tracks through. Pity it wasn't a week later!
I like both your red arrows shots - the composition of the first and the colours of the second, but agree they do look a little dark on my screens, just missing that 'pop'.

I really like the tight crop of your clean shot Tim - so effective.
It is a pity about the top of the railway bridge, but I love the curves of the tracks through. Pity it wasn't a week later!
I like both your red arrows shots - the composition of the first and the colours of the second, but agree they do look a little dark on my screens, just missing that 'pop'.
Cheers Emma. Of the three, Kaneki Ken is my fav too.

Curves
That red arrow shot with the coloured smoke is great.
Thanks Dom. It's not too terrible is it :)

Oooh that's very creepy looking eye for Clean Tim but I do like it ...something quite unique for the theme.
What's not to like about the Red Arrow Curves ....love them :clap:
Thanks Susie. I'm suprised we don't often see shots from cosplay events on here. The cosplayers love having their photos taken, it's a great way to lose any inhibitions about asking strangers if you can take their photo.
The costumes do range a bit, but the effort they put in is fantastic. Of course it does help that my eldest is into the cosplay scene, but still needs an irresponsible adult to tag along.

Display is a lovely shot Tim, a beautiful old steam loco. Bang on theme and good that no people are in the shot too :)
At that time of the morning there weren't many people around on the platforms. Maybe 1/2 a dozen enthusiasts with cameras.
There are a couple of togs hidden behind the A4, on Platform 5. You get a better angle from P4 and can use the station lights to illuminate the train if it's a bit too dark. However, it's a risk regarding getting blocked by a London bound unit.

What's not to like about an A4 under the colours of sunrise? (y) There's no question that this is a mighty display of power and it must have been a fantastic sight and sound as it thundered past.
Second time I've seen her this week, and 1 of 3 kettles through Clapham this morning.
I like how I've captured the sky pretty well exactly as I saw it this morning.

The simple wording of 'Display of Power' explains it all because I was thinking when I saw the shot in the main Photos thread, is that a shoehorn and where's the connection with Display?
The high ISO grainy effect works well and also I like the quiet and stillness of the platforms. I'm not too sure about the lights on the left whether to clone it out or not and but at the same time, it also adds context to the shot. :thinking:

Very nice Tim, only spoilt by the modern looking building tbh....Really like the PP....

I like this. A couple of the things I really quite like are the light shining on the carriages and the white edge to the platform.

The simple wording of 'Display of Power' explains it all because I was thinking when I saw the shot in the main Photos thread, is that a shoehorn and where's the connection with Display?
The high ISO grainy effect works well and also I like the quiet and stillness of the platforms. I'm not too sure about the lights on the left whether to clone it out or not and but at the same time, it also adds context to the shot. :thinking:
Hi Stan. Notjust high iso effect, I needed the 5d3's high iso capability to capture the shot. It was still fairly low light (though not as dark as some I've taken at Clapham).
I hadn't noticed the signals (lights) on the left. I guess it's one of those things that look natural to me. Railways have signals. But maybe a bit of cloning might be in order...

Very nice Tim, only spoilt by the modern looking building tbh....Really like the PP....
I think that's an Asda. Even sarf london is getting new builds these days!

I like this. A couple of the things I really quite like are the light shining on the carriages and the white edge to the platform.
The lights on the carriages are the station lights. My aim for the shot of the A4 was to wait until the train was within the station to allow the station lights to illuminate it. TBH I thought it would still be a bit darker than it was, but I'm happy with what I got here.

Love the colours in 'Display Tim, would have been tempted to clone out the stop light myself, but that's my OCD :D - still a cool image with nice leading lines of the tracks :)

Occupation - As a hobby works for me Tim, nice eye contact and composition too, a nice image :)

First pic for Occupation, as Susie says, no hint of modernity anywhere.....

Display, I'm a bit in two minds about the red signal light on the left, it feels a bit disjointed but you have captured the display of power well.

Occuaption, I guess anything that keeps you occupied counts ;), First one is the pick because it shows someone being occupied and although he does seem to be a bit central I quite like the composition.

Display of Power ... mean machine, powerful I bet. Can just see someone in the driver's compartment and a light on. (y)

Occupation ... fab environmental (occupational) portrait ... with loads of space to include shiny train parts and old iron bridge. (y)

Last edited:
I think you're right that Occupation could be defined as anything that occupies our time, Tim, and you must get great enjoyment from working on the engine in #2, but my choice would be #1. It's an excellent environmental portrait with the subject completely surrounded by her workspace and the trappings of her working environment.

Display. Moving things are always a challenge and in early morning light doubly so especially when you only get one chance. Good choice of when the press that shutter button.

Our photography is an occupation as we work at trying to get the photos right, and imo you have just done that. Both shots I like, but my pick is the #1 as like how you have got the worker looking out :)
My fav of the 2 too.

Love the colours in 'Display Tim, would have been tempted to clone out the stop light myself, but that's my OCD :D - still a cool image with nice leading lines of the tracks :)

Occupation - As a hobby works for me Tim, nice eye contact and composition too, a nice image :)
2 votes for me to use the clone tool. I must improve my border patrol :)

Display and Occupation both good choices for the themes Tim, really nice angles on both, but the setting for Occupation has the edge, no modern trappings in sight.
That train your working on looks a beauty.
Heritage railways do tend to mostly look the part, at least front of house. Mind you, you should see the age of some of the machine tools!

First pic for Occupation, as Susie says, no hint of modernity anywhere.....
Cheers Mark. #1 is best I feel too.

I prefer no 1 of your occupational pics, close enough crop to make it a portrait but with enough train in it to make it a train photo.
Nicely done
Yes, I feel it works quite nicely as both.

Display, I'm a bit in two minds about the red signal light on the left, it feels a bit disjointed but you have captured the display of power well.

Occuaption, I guess anything that keeps you occupied counts ;), First one is the pick because it shows someone being occupied and although he does seem to be a bit central I quite like the composition.
I've checked the original and I could have kept the signal gantry in. It's a bit ugly and would have unbalanced the shot a bit. I think on reflection it would have been better to clone out.

Display of Power ... mean machine, powerful I bet. Can just see someone in the driver's compartment and a light on. (y)

Occupation ... fab environmental (occupational) portrait ... with loads of space to include shiny train parts and old iron bridge. (y)
The bridge in the background is actually the bridge from Kings Cross station that Harry met Hagrid on in the 1st Harry Potter. KX was remodelled a few years back and the bridge removed. They gave it to us :)

I think you're right that Occupation could be defined as anything that occupies our time, Tim, and you must get great enjoyment from working on the engine in #2, but my choice would be #1. It's an excellent environmental portrait with the subject completely surrounded by her workspace and the trappings of her working environment.
I do like the environmental portrait :)
I don't actually get my hands dirty on that loco, the work I do helps bring in the customers and cash, rather than helps spend it on fixing large lumps of metal. (At the moment at least).

Display. Moving things are always a challenge and in early morning light doubly so especially when you only get one chance. Good choice of when the press that shutter button.
I quite like going for low light shots there, but you don't get the chance very often.

Made e smile, nice engine shot with an arch thrown in, cementing your place as the new king of the shoe horn :)

Hobby as occupation and get paid for doing it would be even better if you can get it. I think the first one shows more of the story and the theme. I like the slightly tighter crop with just enough of the engine and tender in the shot.

Love the Arch shot too with just a small part of the structure in the shot. Like the driver looking out on you. :)

xLw1xX5.gif

Made e smile, nice engine shot with an arch thrown in, cementing your place as the new king of the shoe horn :)
Shoe-horn king? I don't know what you mean :)
For me I thought that was fairly well on topic.

A hint of an Arch there Tim, you just about crept that one in, I like the angle on this one.
The hint of an arch was exactly the creative effect I was aiming for.
I did consider (and also took) loco under arch, loco blasting through arch with smoke billowing, but the shot I wanted was actually this one, with just a small arc of the arch.

Hobby as occupation and get paid for doing it would be even better if you can get it. I think the first one shows more of the story and the theme. I like the slightly tighter crop with just enough of the engine and tender in the shot.

Love the Arch shot too with just a small part of the structure in the shot. Like the driver looking out on you. :)

xLw1xX5.gif
When you start getting paid for things you enjoy, you stop enjoying them as much.
I used to love tinkering with computers, a bit of html dev, etc. Got a job in IT and well, not so much these days... I think I will remain purely a volunteer :) #1 is the winner, I agree.

Arch - I don't think the driver is looking at me. Just before the bridge there is a signal and he would be checking to ensure it didn't change before he went past it. I guess it does look like eye contact though :)

Liking your arch shot Tim, nicely timed to get the driver looking out at you while in this beaut of an engine :)
Cheers Dave. I got the shot I was intending. Not so sure that the loco is a beaut. It's LMS, not Southern ;)

...cool concept ... a hint of an Arch .. (y)
Cheers David. It is what I was intending to capture. Can't take things too literally.

Back