LC2's Many Many Fine Shoehorns in 2017 :Week 52 - Weather ** COMPLETED **

A really nice selection there Tim, some very talented artwork in each one, I like the collage, it has more impact than a stand alone image, fits the theme perfectly.
Thanks Susie. I agree, that the collage works far better than posting a single image of the artists work.
Alone it would just be an image of their work, but placed into the collage it at least has a little input from me in choosing, positioning, re-sizing, framing etc.

Week 45 - Height

I had a few for this one.

Firstly a couple of views from the Blavatnik Building(1) at the Tate Modern (itself at height)

I was really torn between these first two, but went with #1 which is a view across the City incorporating the Chimney of Southwark Power Station.
It is an interesting perspective as obviously the new buildings across the City's skyline are actually taller.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 45 : Height
by Tim White, on Flickr

My second choice was a view across to Canary Wharf incorporating The Shard. Whilst I liked this, it's not quite so imposing.

The Shard and Canary Wharf
by Tim White, on Flickr

Honourable mentions go to these two (horribly over processed) runners up...

The Monument. I was going to climb the 312 steps, but the queue was a couple of classes of school kids and the staff felt it was at least a 30 minute wait before anyone else would get in.

The Monument - Monument London
by Tim White, on Flickr

And The Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth. Massively over use of the de-haze slider created this effect, which I actually really like, but it is a very processed, stylised image which will not be to many people's taste.

Spinnaker Tower - Portsmouth
by Tim White, on Flickr

(1) Len Blavatnik, USSR born billionaire who made one of the largest donations in the history of The Tate. The Blavatnik Building was formally named The Switch House, after the power switching gear that was at that location.

Last edited:
Week 45 - Re-Shoot - Architecture

One of the Fuel Tanks that formally supplied the fuel for the boilers at Southwark Power Station, re-purposed as open space at the Tate Modern.
It's one of those pieces of architecture that most people would never have seen, and that most people seeing it would not know what it was (there are no notices in the Tate explaining what these spaces were as far as I could see).

The added splashes of colour were from a class of primary school children who came running in while I was taking a long exposure.
I actually really like the effect and prefer this to another shot I took when I had the whole space to myself.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 45 : Re-shoot - Architecture
by Tim White, on Flickr

St Paul's is my second place here. It is perhaps your more traditional take on an architecture shot, but I got the framing wrong.
A bit of a shame really as it was bathed in light with the skyline behind in shadow.

St Paul's Cathedral
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well you wait for one picture to come along and then.........for height I quite like the power station chimney emphasises the topic well as does the Shard so it would be a choice between the two. For the reshoot I am going with the Tate fuel tanks they were featured on"Grand designs" a few weeks ago I seem to recall, no idea what I'm going to do as we don't really do tall buildings in Chester

Height
I think you've made the right choice. The first image is slightly stronger, but if you had only put up the Shard I would have been pleased.

Reshoot
I actually quite like the second one.

Last edited:
Well you wait for one picture to come along and then.........for height I quite like the power station chimney emphasises the topic well as does the Shard so it would be a choice between the two. For the reshoot I am going with the Tate fuel tanks they were featured on"Grand designs" a few weeks ago I seem to recall, no idea what I'm going to do as we don't really do tall buildings in Chester

I didn't realise the tanks had been on grand designs! I recall them from when Diamond Geezer blogged about them during an open-house London event a few years ago. #1& #2 were definetly my lead choices for height.

For height my pic is the Monument as I just like it more, reshoot is a good take on theme too.

Hmm, I'm not sure on the monument one. The fact that I felt I needed a strong vignette to make it works tells me I thought it was quite weak (though if it was all I had managed, I would have been happy enough posting it I guess).

Height
I think you've made the right choice. The first image is slightly stronger, but if you had only put up the Shard I would have been pleased.

Reshoot
I actually quite like the second one.

I think the Power Station / City skyline shot is stronger because of the direction of the light. The chimney is nicely illuminated on the side you can see, whereas with the Shard, the lit side is facing away from you to mostly.

My problem with St Paul's is that in straightening the shot, the edge of the left had tower has been nibbled away. I couldn't rescue it with a crop so whilst the light is really nice, the edge niggles me.

Colourful, I remember a time when Terry seemed to be writing them faster than I could read them, a sad loss but a nice montage of colourful images.

Height, the first works best for me, the chimney in the foreground is a good indicator of scale for the distant buildings.

Reshoot, tanks for me, the kids did you a favour by adding a bit of ethereal interest to the photo.

The Blavatnik Building, what a fab vantage point! You've brought out some great detail in that chimney from a POV I've never seen before. Same goes for St Pauls, I've never before seen it from that angle and I love the way it stands out from the BG. I'm also loving your Monument shot, there's nothing wrong with vignette, it seem to do the trick here: dramatic.

Colourful, I remember a time when Terry seemed to be writing them faster than I could read them, a sad loss but a nice montage of colourful images.

Height, the first works best for me, the chimney in the foreground is a good indicator of scale for the distant buildings.

Reshoot, tanks for me, the kids did you a favour by adding a bit of ethereal interest to the photo.
Cheers Chris. You seem to have gone for the ones I preferred, much for the same reasons :)

The Blavatnik Building, what a fab vantage point! You've brought out some great detail in that chimney from a POV I've never seen before. Same goes for St Pauls, I've never before seen it from that angle and I love the way it stands out from the BG. I'm also loving your Monument shot, there's nothing wrong with vignette, it seem to do the trick here: dramatic.
I'm glad I've brought something new to the 52 in those 2 shots from the Blavatnik. They can't be that uncommon given the number of camera (or camera phones) I saw while I was up there.
It is somewhere I quite like popping up to.
I guess the vignette does ad drama to the monument, but it wasn't the shot I was going to go for, so I suspect anything I took wasn't going to be great to my eye.

Nice selection of shots for height Tim

Hi Tim
1st height shot for me is stunning....

and I really like the LE fuel tanks pic as well.....

Nice to not see a steam engine.... ;) ;)

Height - a statement chimney! That view has changed a bit since I had an office on the 23rd floor of a building just by the Eye.

Nice selection of shots for height Tim
Cheers. But which is your favourite?

Hi Tim
1st height shot for me is stunning....

and I really like the LE fuel tanks pic as well.....

Nice to not see a steam engine.... ;) ;)
Yes, I like the Power Station shot too. I did walk around the viewing platform quite a bit trying to decide on the right angle.
I'm not sure the fuel tanks would win any awards, but I thought it quite an interesting location and worthy of shooting.

Height - a statement chimney! That view has changed a bit since I had an office on the 23rd floor of a building just by the Eye.
I think I know the building you're talking about. I suspect the new build flats around Southwark Power Station might block the view these days.
The view across the city has changed dramatically in the 20 odd years I've worked up there.

Steady on Tim, you got a photo up the day after the theme was announced :D
It's not yelling remote without the description but it is an interesting angle.

I like the low viewpoint but it does look deserted rather than remote the "help point" sign not helping with that

Interesting pov ... leading lines, in yer face ... but that grows on you. (y)

Steady on Tim, you got a photo up the day after the theme was announced :D
It's not yelling remote without the description but it is an interesting angle.
It wouldn't be a shoe-horn without the need for an explanation ;)

A nice angle on the shot Tim, like the oof platform and good lighting and like the end of the line.
Cheers Dave70D

I like the low viewpoint but it does look deserted rather than remote the "help point" sign not helping with that
I did remove quite a lot of clutter, including bits and pieces around that sign. I even fixed bits that got removed. But yes, maybe it should have gone too and I was getting too fixated on keeping it. I get what you mean about deserted vs remote, but I didn't want to do the TV/Camera thing.

Interesting pov ... leading lines, in yer face ... but that grows on you. (y)
Flippy out screens FTW :)

I like the composition, the low pov. Maybe if you could have got a bit further back (but that might not have been possible) it would have given a bit more of a remote feel.

I like the composition, the low pov. Maybe if you could have got a bit further back (but that might not have been possible) it would have given a bit more of a remote feel.
It would have been possible to move back, but I think I took it from there because of the light.
A bit further back and would have been out of the shadow iirc, and it was very bright

Remote - think I got it as 'end of the line' without explanation and that is by definition the remote end. Like the leading lines and oof foreground.

Week 46 - Remote

Somewhere remote... The end of a branch line (leading to a ferry). A remote part of the national rail network.
PABD. The only redeeming features this image has are the angle and maybe that the leading line actually leads to something.

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 46 : Remote
by Tim White, on Flickr
I'm liking your remote image Tim, though the platform edge is a tad bright it still draws you in as does the track coming in from the corner, cool composition and low point of view :)

Total understand your PADB feeling. We all have one of those weeks but I thought you done well enough. The low angle and shallow dof make the main subject seem to be quite remote
Thanks Stan. It has grown on me a bit, but at the time I took it
I wasn't feeling the love for it.

Remote - think I got it as 'end of the line' without explanation and that is by definition the remote end. Like the leading lines and oof foreground.
Thanks David, that is what I was attempting to express.

I'm liking your remote image Tim, though the platform edge is a tad bright it still draws you in as does the track coming in from the corner, cool composition and low point of view :)
Cheer DK, I was trying to work with the lines and angles on the basis that I didn't think the subject was particularly exciting. I guess I didn't do too badly.

Week 47 - (Re) Build / (New) Build

Over the past few years I've taken to taking shots of the changes to Nine Elms / Battersea Power Station with the redevelopment of the Power Station itself and the new developments that are forever changing the view.
There is quite a contrast between this image and the one I took for Week 0 of TP2017

I've also managed to shoe-horn in some railway, so job's a good-un. :)
No Cross Processing this time...

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 47 : Build
by Tim White, on Flickr

Spot on for the theme, well exposed and it's got a railway, good job but where's the flying pig?

spot on indeed for the theme, the crane between the two towers being cut off is a little annoying
I would say a bit off the bottom but that would lose the train tracks :wideyed:
they must be used to seeing you hanging round there now :wave:

... round the back of your favourite power station ... lots of Build going on there ....

Interesting as I didn't know about the trainline ... but should have guessed.

Nice shot for Build Tim, liking the load of cranes, shame the closest one is snipped, but hey guessing something nasty in view... I do like to see the track sneaking into the corner of the frame, and also good to see some blue sky again too, with the magic number of chimneys also its a nice image :)

Spot on for the theme, well exposed and it's got a railway, good job but where's the flying pig?
I do have the pig from week 0 saved away, but felt it might be overkill.

spot on indeed for the theme, the crane between the two towers being cut off is a little annoying
I would say a bit off the bottom but that would lose the train tracks :wideyed:
they must be used to seeing you hanging round there now :wave:
Framing was quite hard, with the camera held over my head, using the tilt screen, to see over the parapet of the bridge. I did have a least one with more of the crane, but felt this was somehow better, b ut I do see your point and did ponder over the choice before posting.

... round the back of your favourite power station ... lots of Build going on there ....

Interesting as I didn't know about the trainline ... but should have guessed.
Nine Elms was originally the terminus for L&SWR, prior to extending to Waterloo, but the lines you can see in this shot are actually those out of Victoria, the LB&SC (London Brighton and South Coast Railway) and SE&C (South East & Chatham)

Nice shot for Build Tim, liking the load of cranes, shame the closest one is snipped, but hey guessing something nasty in view... I do like to see the track sneaking into the corner of the frame, and also good to see some blue sky again too, with the magic number of chimneys also its a nice image :)
As per Allan's point about the central crane, it really was a question of framing and keeping the subject suitably prominent in the frame. (I think I would have had to go on forever adding in overlapping cranes. I felt having the front one come in more or else from the top corner was a good compromise and it was pretty much like that in all the shots I took.
It was good to shoe-horn some railway back in, a subject that has been sorely missing of late :)

Nice shot of Battersea....particularly for me, as I only ever see it from across the Thames and not this side of it......

Nice shot of Battersea....particularly for me, as I only ever see it from across the Thames and not this side of it......
Cheers Mark. Funny isn't it, but I only ever see this side, coming in on SWT in the mornings.

Plenty of building works going on there and I like the contrast between the new developments and the old power station.
Thanks Stan. That's what I was trying to go for, the contrast of the re-build of the power-station with the new build apartments.

Good shot for build Tim, not fussed about the snipped one as my eye goes right to power station with the other cranes.
Cheers Dave. Ideally I wouldn't have snipped it, but hey, it doesn't destroy the shot. As you say, the power-station itself is a strong enough object to direct the eye.

Week 48 - Juice

I thought I'd go for something completely left field for Juice. (Oh okay then, it's a train shoe-horn)
In slang terms the 3rd rail which provides the 'juice' for trains running predominately in the south of England (their are some others too) is called the Juice Rail.
In this case, the front collector 'Shoe' is actually "Off the Juice". Fortunately there are others further back along the train which allow power to be taken.

The angle I really, straight on at ground level, wasn't available as the train came in on the wrong platform.
There was no point hanging around for the next one as the light would have gone :/

TP 52 for 2017 - Week 48 : Juice
by Tim White, on Flickr

Excellent take on the theme :clap: :clap: A fruit coloured mutiple-unit pulling juice from the rail

Back