LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

Hi Tim, I got flattened by a nasty cold too and it's taking time to catch up with everyone's threads again. You've posted three striking images since my last visit; the Steampunk guy is an original take on the Sharp theme and he really is sharply dressed and I like his confident pose. You can see a lot of thought has gone into his costume, especially the accessories on his hat. Guard is another really original take, and although I would have preferred a bit more definition in his hand, which is quite blurry in the foreground, once you realise what it is and notice the sword too, you can see he's striking a great pose for you. It must be fun to have such willing models :)

Finally, Thick is a good take on the theme. I can see from scanning through the comments above that everyone has their own ideas about how to frame and light this one, and I would possibly have tried to get some more light in her face but I don't know what restrictions were around you and the half-shadow is probably what you were aiming for anyway. I think a square crop would work well with this one to remove the outer door frame and bring the focus right to her face.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new Fuji; I've found mine has brought some fun and freshness back into my photography.

Guard(ed) - its a nicely taken image, just dont think it works well for me on this occasion.
Thick - Its a great image for the theme, the make up looks fantastic, I feel a tighter crop will make it a much stronger image.

Guard is a great photo, excellent posing and light.

Thick is missing some light in your model's face I think...
Yes, I should have gotten the reflector out...
Hi Tim, Catching up again!

Over - Good idea well done. Processing really does give it a war time theme
Age - Not too sure about this, nice clear image but I think I would have either just had the plaque or gone for a wider shot with more context
Sharp & Guard are both nice portraits but are spoilt slightly by the bg but not a lot you can do about it when you are at this type of event
Thick - Think everything has been said about this one really. Not sure why but I think I would like to see her facing the other way :confused: Maybe its because the light seems to be coming from that direction. I think it would work if you cropped it just inside the 1st set of mouldings

:D
You're right about 'Thick', the light was coming from behind her. I was going for rembrandt lighting initially, but it didn't really work. I should have evened the lighting up with a reflector.
Hi Tim, I got flattened by a nasty cold too and it's taking time to catch up with everyone's threads again. You've posted three striking images since my last visit; the Steampunk guy is an original take on the Sharp theme and he really is sharply dressed and I like his confident pose. You can see a lot of thought has gone into his costume, especially the accessories on his hat. Guard is another really original take, and although I would have preferred a bit more definition in his hand, which is quite blurry in the foreground, once you realise what it is and notice the sword too, you can see he's striking a great pose for you. It must be fun to have such willing models :)

Finally, Thick is a good take on the theme. I can see from scanning through the comments above that everyone has their own ideas about how to frame and light this one, and I would possibly have tried to get some more light in her face but I don't know what restrictions were around you and the half-shadow is probably what you were aiming for anyway. I think a square crop would work well with this one to remove the outer door frame and bring the focus right to her face.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new Fuji; I've found mine has brought some fun and freshness back into my photography.
The conventions are great for taking shots. Everyone is dressed up and mostly want their photo taken. It can be really hard to get a decent background, hence using f/2 most of the time.
As per my comment to Georgina, I was trying for rembrandt, but it didn't really work. I should have reflected light back onto her face.
The Fuji is good fun. And so much lighter / more convenient than lugging the 5D3 around.
Guard(ed) - its a nicely taken image, just dont think it works well for me on this occasion.
Thick - Its a great image for the theme, the make up looks fantastic, I feel a tighter crop will make it a much stronger image.
I agree, a Peter Hurley crop would work well, but then we'd lose the horns... Ah well.

Well done for getting a shot in, filling the frame gives it s sense of abundance and nice colours

Yummy and very nice food photography Tim, good and colourful shot and like the frame too.
Cheers Chris. I felt it needed the frame to make it work.
As Dave says it looks really attractive. Tasty too
It certainly was tasty :)
Well done for getting a shot in, filling the frame gives it s sense of abundance and nice colours
It was still in the frying pan on the ring cooking. Trust me, it needed to be a tight crop.
Nice Image Tim, can you deliver it please.

Pete
Sorry Pete, the props have already been consumed.
Abundance - that looks lovely and it may be a PABD but its a image that fits the theme.
Cheers Mandy. One of the family's favourite meals.

Week 10 - Heavy

The gated entrance to the Crossbones Graveyard on Redcross Way in Southwark, Burial Ground for The Outcast Dead such as the "Winchester Geese" - Medieval Sex Workers licenced by the Bishop of Winchester!
The gates have become a shrine dedicated to the dead with the a 'garden' of remembrance behind them.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 10 : Heavy
by Tim White, on Flickr

Quick off the mark there Tim, really interesting interpretation and good use of the triptych, I find the third of the three more engaging.

very good indeed though I agree with the comment about the left one being out of focus, which is a pity

Week 9 - Abundance

Well, it's colourful and there is food in abundance, but not the most exciting or technically excellent of shots.
Still, PABD and I'm avoiding dropping behind.

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 9 : Abundance
by Tim White, on Flickr

Looks blooming tasty Tim - an abundance of really tasty looking food. Nicely framed too

Quick off the mark, Tim. An interesting idea and subject matter. The left out of focus 'shot' doesn't really match the other two. I didn't know Nik has that filter effect in their collection.
very good indeed though I agree with the comment about the left one being out of focus, which is a pity
Nice! This explanation explains why the left most image is a little 'smudged' (it's actually DOF).
Shot works for me though, nice one!
Matt is spot on, it's caused by the DoF of the original image. Nik made the triptych from a single image and moved two parts of it around. The original is here:

CROSSBONES GRAVEYARD
by Tim White, on Flickr
I wasn't originally aiming for a triptych when I took the shot (if I had been, I would probably have taken 3 different images), or planned to use that filter (again, if I had, then I would have made sure to have used a smaller aperture), but when processing, I gave that one a go and it looked pleasing enough to go for it.
Looks blooming tasty Tim - an abundance of really tasty looking food. Nicely framed too
Cheers Ian. It's one of our kids favourite meals, so we get a fair bit of practice cooking it. yes it is tasty.

Nice idea with the Heavy covering of tributes! I didn't know Nik did that - I'll investigate :)

Abundance ... hmmmm certainly colourful.

Heavy ... I wonder why Nik arranged them in the wrong order.

Nice idea with the Heavy covering of tributes! I didn't know Nik did that - I'll investigate :)
There is a lot in Nik I've not investigated yet. I must actually get inside the 'garden' sometime.
Abundance ... hmmmm certainly colourful.

Heavy ... I wonder why Nik arranged them in the wrong order.
There didn't seem to be a setting that left the sections of the image in the same order. Perhaps I should have added the frames by hand. I suspect it's to make the image look 'different'.

Abundance - Your making me hungry now! Great colours and detail.

Heavy - An interesting take on the theme Tim lots of interest in the image

Not sure if I was meant to laugh but the wet image made me chuckle( reminded of fancy dress on New years eve in Newquay), your use of DOF has got me wondering what the dude in the white is?

Last edited:
Not sure what to say about that except the BG is an issue needs a bit more isolation

Not sure if I was meant to laugh but the wet image made me chuckle( reminded of fancy dress on New years eve in Newquay), your use of DOF has got me wondering what the dude in the white is?
They are cosplaying a Sister of Plentitude from Doctor Who.

Not sure what to say about that except the BG is an issue needs a bit more isolation
Can't disagree. I might have been able to blur the background more with my 5D3 and f/1.8, but that tends to get left at home these days with the X-T2 and 35mm f/2 being used in preference due to the weight and size. I do have plenty of shots with better isolation, but none that fit with 'Wet'.

Hi Tim - I was at the NEC last weekend for the photography show and Comicon was on at the same time - full of folk dressed up like this, was quite entertaining!
Can't really add to what has been said already, only a different take on why it works with wet...some of those outfits look kinda warm?...sweaty warm? :hungover:

:exit:

Tim, Nice focus on the couple, but as has already been said, the background is not right, maybe a tighter crop?

Pete

I think they're quite nicely separated from the BG. My eyes are drawn to the green fork, and now I'm wondering what else is in her hands .... a mobile and a plastic handbag?

Hi Tim - I was at the NEC last weekend for the photography show and Comicon was on at the same time - full of folk dressed up like this, was quite entertaining!
Can't really add to what has been said already, only a different take on why it works with wet...some of those outfits look kinda warm?...sweaty warm? :hungover:

:exit:
It was quite warm, but whilst some cosplay outfits have lots of layers to them, others less so.
That shot was from the MCM Comic Con at the NEC last weekend. I was there with my eldest who was cosplaying Gamzee Makara from Homestuck (I suspect that is going to mean nothing to most people on here though).
Tim, Nice focus on the couple, but as has already been said, the background is not right, maybe a tighter crop?

Pete
Nah, I don't think a crop would do it. Either FF and f/1.8 (or f/1.4) or a different location would really be needed.
I'm pondering finding a less busy spot and waiting for people to walk past at the next MCM Comic Con (Autumn), or maybe using flash and a small enough aperture to darken the background. We'll see...
I think they're quite nicely separated from the BG. My eyes are drawn to the green fork, and now I'm wondering what else is in her hands .... a mobile and a plastic handbag?
It's actually a plastic fish in a jar along with her phone. (The background is far worse on this shot!)

Ariel & King Triton - The Little Mermaid
by Tim White, on Flickr

I think you were too hard on yourself about your image for Abundance, Tim. Not only is there an abundance of food, but also colours, textures and different ingredients, and the hint of steam makes it look very appealing.
Heavy is an interesting scene, full of interest, and the filter seem to have the effect of making you look more deeply at each section rather than just scanning the image for the most eye-catching details.
I don't find the background distracting in your image for Wet as my eye was drawn straight to their faces and colourful costumes, then the finer details of what they are carrying and only then did I take in the rest of the scene, which I think adds interest and context (y)

Back