LC2's Many Many (More) Fine Shoehorns in 2018 : Week 52 - Showcase [2018 Complete]

Bright, I particularly like this shot, I think the bright sun and dark subject work well together in a well composed and interesting scene.

Elegant, the lola certainly looks elegant compared with the Monza and I like the elegant style it is being driven compared to the Monza, a great action shot and a good and different take on elegant.

Derelict, not sure you can ever make barbed wire attractive, good shot for the theme though.

Last edited:
Hi Tim, I really like the idea and composition for Bright and the starburst works well. You're well aware of the problems in the rest of the frame and sadly I can't offer anything constructive other than to echo Allan's suggestion of blending 2-3 images. That said, I don't find the lower part of the image objectionable or distracting anyway, so I'd mark it down as a good idea and something to maybe revisit when you have a chance.

Elegant is a good action image and I like the way the second car appears close enough to swallow up the front one. I don't know enough about the cars to comment on them but I do like the swooping shape of the first one so I'm guess that's the one you would class as elegant. Derelict is ideal for that theme with the run-down appearance of the wall, and the red shapes contrast beautifully with the white paint and the blue sky (y)

Elegant - Ah man. I want to buy a Chevvy Monza now. Super elegant Lola though. Love the contrast between the 2 cars. Shame about all of the vans and lorries in the background but theres not much anyone could do about that. A letterbox crop I think would work in my eyes, to crop out the to with all the trucks, even though it would be quite close to the top of the Monza.

Derelict - Doesn't need to be falling down to be derelict. It looks suitably neglected to me. Nice flakey detail in the paint and i like the reoccurring pattern too.
Cheers Ross. It was the contrast between the Lola and the Chevvy that really made the shot for me. I'm not worried about the trucks in the background, they are part and parcel of a busy race track / paddock.
You would think that the ACO could afford some paint for their premier track (mind you, there are other things about Le Mans that really should come above paint).
What an odd combination of cars for elegant they don’t looked matched at all but I no nothing of cars or motor racing

Derelict, certainly seen better days the red white and blue work well together
At the Classic the cars are split by age rather than the classes they would originally have run in. The difference in speeds is quite something. I felt the boundary wall worked nicely for the theme, and yes I liked the colours too.
Elegant; a different take on the theme and I can understand the reasons why you took the shot. Not just the contrasting driving style but also the big forceful Chevvy against the petite and elegant Lola.

Derelict; just a bit neglected and run-down. Are these McLaren logos?
Ta Stan. The contrast, yes :) I'm not sure about the logos. Probably ACO rather than anything else.
Bright, I particularly like this shot, I think the bright sun and dark subject work well together in a well composed and interesting scene.

Elegant, the lola certainly looks elegant compared with the Monza and I like the elegant style it is being driven compared to the Monza, a great action shot and a good and different take on elegant.

Derelict, not sure you can ever make barbed wire attractive, good shot for the theme though.
Cheers Roger. We were all quite fortunate that Bright came out of the bag when it did, allowing for shots with bright sunlight. I quite liked the feel, but it probably should have been done as an HDR.
I don't recall seeing the little Lola mounting the kerbs in the way that the Monza did. I suspect it wouldn't have taken kindly to it.
Hi Tim, I really like the idea and composition for Bright and the starburst works well. You're well aware of the problems in the rest of the frame and sadly I can't offer anything constructive other than to echo Allan's suggestion of blending 2-3 images. That said, I don't find the lower part of the image objectionable or distracting anyway, so I'd mark it down as a good idea and something to maybe revisit when you have a chance.

Elegant is a good action image and I like the way the second car appears close enough to swallow up the front one. I don't know enough about the cars to comment on them but I do like the swooping shape of the first one so I'm guess that's the one you would class as elegant. Derelict is ideal for that theme with the run-down appearance of the wall, and the red shapes contrast beautifully with the white paint and the blue sky (y)
Cheers Andrea. Bright - well yes an HDR (or at least a bracket) next time :) The little car in the front is the Lola, yes, that's the more elegant of the two.

Elegant
I do like a bit of motor sport, it's a shame about the trucks in the background, but i guess you didn't have any option. If looks like you had some good light.

Derelict
It looks good with the red graphics, I would may be have cropped a bit off of the bottom, up to the white line in the road, I just don't think you need that much road in the photo.

Tim

Bright, I find the image strange but I like it, Maybe its the smoke in the bottom left corner that makes it strange, however well composed and exposure taken to the limit.

Elegant- I bet the Lola went round the corner rather than humping over it. Shame about the background. flicker shows the better Image.

Derelict - I think it looks better with the road cropped out.

Pete

Elegant
I do like a bit of motor sport, it's a shame about the trucks in the background, but i guess you didn't have any option. If looks like you had some good light.

Derelict
It looks good with the red graphics, I would may be have cropped a bit off of the bottom, up to the white line in the road, I just don't think you need that much road in the photo.
With motorsport (from a spectator perspective) you have to take what you can get. There aren't many spots where you can avoid fencing.
You could be right about the road.
Tim

Bright, I find the image strange but I like it, Maybe its the smoke in the bottom left corner that makes it strange, however well composed and exposure taken to the limit.

Elegant- I bet the Lola went round the corner rather than humping over it. Shame about the background. flicker shows the better Image.

Derelict - I think it looks better with the road cropped out.

Pete
Smoke in the bottom left corner? I can see a bit of lens flare, not sure what you're seeing there.
You're right about the Lola, it can corner far cleaner than the Monza
The road... Maybe :)

Well composed and exposed, spot on theme I like it.

I like it Tim. Well framed, bold colours, nice work for the theme

Round
It really stands out against the neutral tones of the background.

Tim

Nice simple image with good colours, good focus and details. You did well to get nothing else in the shot.

Pete

Round - love it. Got The Jam in me head now :)

Its an iconic image thats for sure, simple and to the point (y)

Well composed and exposed, spot on theme I like it.

I like it Tim. Well framed, bold colours, nice work for the theme

You've done well to capture the shot without any distracting elements in it. I like the lighting and the square format crop.

Round
It really stands out against the neutral tones of the background.

Simple and spot on for the theme, good job

Simple and on theme, Works well and I do like the tight crop you have used.

Tim

Nice simple image with good colours, good focus and details. You did well to get nothing else in the shot.

Pete

Round - love it. Got The Jam in me head now :)
What I did find useful for this shot was the tilting screen. In an attempt to get it fairly square on (and to avoid bodies), this shot was live view, over my head, with the screen tilted so I could compose. :)

Oh my word :wideyed:........................ objectively, slightly too tight on the left , on the right you have cut the hair, at the top the horns have come to an abrupt end, bottom can't crit its spot on (y)

What I do want to know is what did you go as :popcorn:

:snaphappy: :pics:

Excellent shot, clearly they are missing their home planet(I feel like that sometimes!;)). Think you have the DOF spot on, getting them in focus with such a narrow DOF must of been tricky, not sure you need to worry about the lack of the top of the horns, we get the idea. A really different and interesting shot for the theme.:)

Oh my word :wideyed:........................ objectively, slightly too tight on the left , on the right you have cut the hair, at the top the horns have come to an abrupt end, bottom can't crit its spot on (y)

What I do want to know is what did you go as :popcorn:

:snaphappy: :pics:
The original was wider, with all of Kurloz's hair and not so tight on Fefari's ear. The very tight crop was an artistic choice, driven to some extent my those bloody horns. Keeping the whole horns in would have resulted on the faces being oddly positioned.
I was in shorts and tee-shirts for this one Allan, though I have been known to go in steampunk and I'm putting together a Negan cosplay.
I did get my nails done though (phone shot of the simpler one).

Monokuma - Fly Fangirl Club Nails
by Tim White, on Flickr

Even with the bg being busy it doesn't matter to me in this shot, my eyes are drawn straight to your subjects which are emphasised by the tight crop.
Cheers Michael. I think the bright colours help bring them out too.

Excellent shot, clearly they are missing their home planet(I feel like that sometimes!;)). Think you have the DOF spot on, getting them in focus with such a narrow DOF must of been tricky, not sure you need to worry about the lack of the top of the horns, we get the idea. A really different and interesting shot for the theme.:)
Thanks Roger. At f/2 it's not actually that hard to get enough DoF, especially when you have time to move around and to direct the models.

Home

An interesting photo, the background doesn't distract for me (although I think this type of subject works well against a plain wall). It looks like they have their backs to the sun, so you've done well with the exposure.

Looks good to me,as you say the characters are sharp and the background is OOF, I can see the frustration with the horns but I don't mind them being cropped, in fact I might be inclined to take a bit more off the top so all the horns are cropped.

Home

An interesting photo, the background doesn't distract for me (although I think this type of subject works well against a plain wall). It looks like they have their backs to the sun, so you've done well with the exposure.
The light was, er, I think interesting puts it best. Mainly from above, but quite changeable as it was lit from the sun via the large glass roof :)

Looks good to me,as you say the characters are sharp and the background is OOF, I can see the frustration with the horns but I don't mind them being cropped, in fact I might be inclined to take a bit more off the top so all the horns are cropped.
I do have some closer crops too. I felt it worked well enough. :)

Impressive bit of nail painting there, I think including at least the little finger would have made the hand look a bit more natural but certainly a different take on the theme

I think you have given your own crit there, I can only agree :) different indeed

Different take on the theme for sure, I find just the three fingers odd.

I like the three fingers - but I'm a sucker for odd numbers in compositions :)

Impressive bit of nail painting there, I think including at least the little finger would have made the hand look a bit more natural but certainly a different take on the theme

I think you have given your own crit there, I can only agree :) different indeed

Hi Tim, Cool bit of nail art that, I agree with your thoughts. I think I prefer it in a portrait orientation

Different take on the theme for sure, I find just the three fingers odd.

I like the three fingers - but I'm a sucker for odd numbers in compositions :)

It was a bit of a PABD whilst on holiday really. The previous image (monokuma) worked far better, and I don't like the separation of the fingers in this shot, but the others I took weren't quite a well in focus.
The painting was all my hand, from a picture I provided, they (Fly Fangirl Club) were doing some fantastic work!

Tim

Home - nice clear shot, lot of work in the makeup, well worth it. Cool Photo.
Short - On theme, but just not my kind of thing, however all in focus and good exposure and sharp.

Pete

Week 34 - Dark

Trying something a bit different.
Rather than waiting for the night and getting out the tripod, I thought I would try significantly underexposing the shot during the daytime and then recovering the shadows.
Various exposures where tried, and this one was actually HDR, 2 stops between each, underexposed by about 4 stops.

Does it work? No, I don't think it does really, I couldn't recover the blacks without the lighter colours in the background coming back brighter.
But it was worth a try to see how it came out. (Even if ultimately it is a FAIL).

TP 52 for 2018 - Week 34 : Dark
by Tim White, on Flickr

Last edited:
Tim

Good on you trying a different route for Dark, even if it does not work, for me it's all about learning and you need to fail to learn lessions.I'm not that good with processing, but I expect you need to use a mask and darken the background.
Overall the Image is another excellant shot, composition is good but a bit more space at top and bottom may help but it's difficult to tell with the dark processing you have applied.

Pete.

Back