Critique Le Tour de Yorkshire

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been wanting to capture this image for a few days now. It was Oakwood Day yesterday, a day of festivities to celebrate the unveiling of the newly restored Oakwood Clock, near Roundhay Park in Leeds. Roundhay Park also marks the finish line of the first ever Tour de Yorkhsire, which kicked off in Bridlington on Friday.

I knew I wanted to capture the tour going past the clock, but wasn't sure of what the crowds might be like, or where I would be able to get a good position. We were also meeting friends in the city centre beforehand, so I didn't have the opportunity to get there early and camp out in a prime spot. As a result i thought it worth trying out the wireless (NFC) functionality on my new camera. The light was changing (it was cloudy and windy and had been raining on and off for most of the day) so I just stuck the camera in AV mode and held it above my head on a fully extended tripod. I gave my wife my mobile through which I could see the "live view" display and she was in charge of firing off the shutter from the camera app, so I guess that means this is her image rather than mine.

Still I was quite pleased with the result:

Le Tour de Yorkshire races through Oakwood by Tim.Garlick, on Flickr

Last edited:
Cracking shot Tim and nice use of the WiFi to good effect.

Good image Tim... I like how you captured the movement...
Thanks, I got a bit lucky with that though. It was the camera rather than me that decided the shutter speed and, in hindsight, a touch more blur might have made it better. I think I should have used my circular polariser, but I wasn't sure how steady I'd be able to hold that camera on the end of the tripod like that. Something to remember for next year though ;)

Like it. Like it alot. (y)
Thanks David

good shot
Cheers

Tell your wife she did great :D
I did, she smiled, gave me a thumbs up and said "I'm a natural!"

Great shot.
Thanks Matt, glad you like it.

Cracking shot Tim and nice use of the WiFi to good effect.
Cheers Ed, I think having wifi opens up a whole new area to experiment with (y)

Cracking shot. A very different prospective and I really like it.

Also very impressed with the ingenuity to be able to get the shot.

Personally, I don't think it needs anymore blur :)

Great (and different) shot Tim - I like it.

I've got a few on the camera from earlier in the day but not processed fully yet - just sifted through the blurry non keepers so far :D

A great capture and very well improvised well done to you and the missus (y)

Cracking shot Tim, thanks for sharing.
Shooting my 1st cycle race this Sunday, would be over the moon to capture something like this.

Cracking shot. A very different prospective and I really like it.

Also very impressed with the ingenuity to be able to get the shot.

Personally, I don't think it needs anymore blur :)
Thanks Andy, you may be right. I'm sure there is a fine line between too much and just right amounts :)

Great (and different) shot Tim - I like it.

I've got a few on the camera from earlier in the day but not processed fully yet - just sifted through the blurry non keepers so far :D
Thanks, yeah i just told the missus to keep hitting the shutter button, so lots of shots headed for the recycle bin ;) Hope you got a good one!

Like that a lot nice work
Cheers

Great work Tim, I like that a lot.

Dan
Thanks
A great capture and very well improvised well done to you and the missus (y)
Thank you (from both of us).

Great inventiveness, and a great result. Thanks for sharing it.
Ta

Cracking shot Tim, thanks for sharing.
Shooting my 1st cycle race this Sunday, would be over the moon to capture something like this.
Thanks, how did you get on?

Like it, really sbwos the speed they come through
Thanks Steve, yeah I was really impressed with the speed they were going, especially coming into the corner. This was right before the the finish straight too so I bet they had a bit of a sprint on...

Not too bad Tim. I was at the Cycle Wiltshire Grand Prix at Wilton which saw Andrew Tennant winning for Team Wiggins.
I was amazed at the pace of these riders, only managed a couple of good panning shots.

I was shooting for local paper.

http://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/s...inspirational__and__amazing__Cycle_Wiltshire/
Oh excellent! You caught some good moments. I hoped I might be able to get some front on shots, we moved position before the last few groups but the riders passed on the far side of the road (and we couldn't cross), so they all are a bit small in frame. Definitely a longer focal distance needed for those ones :)

You did well to get a good range of locations, must have been difficult trying to keep up with them. They go quick!

Thanks Tim, a bit of local knowledge helped. I also had a x1.4 TC to hand to put on my 70-200mm, with a 28-70mm for close ups and panning.
I moved out from the centre of Wilton as I knew it would be busy, but walking a 1/4 mile either side gave me plenty of time to frame up, as the long laps were about 35 mins.

Back