Lea, a dog handler

The ones where the girl is interacting with dog are much better from a double portrait point of view. The others like #3 and 4 the dog is clearly trying to get away which spoils them. Dog portraiture is difficult! In some ways dog action photos, though technically difficult, are in some ways ‘easier‘ Because the dog is ’engaged’ in doing something even if it is only running. #10 and 11 are like that,

Nice set, love #2 (y)

The ones where the girl is interacting with dog are much better from a double portrait point of view. The others like #3 and 4 the dog is clearly trying to get away which spoils them. Dog portraiture is difficult! In some ways dog action photos, though technically difficult, are in some ways ‘easier‘ Because the dog is ’engaged’ in doing something even if it is only running. #10 and 11 are like that,
Thanks for your comment, sphexx.

On #4 he have seen another dog :)

You've picked up some lovely interaction, both placid and dynamic.
Only point I would add, is that some parts are very close to the edge of the frame, with some of the images having parts (toes/tail) severed.

Very nice :)

Hi Dmitry, I've often admired your work, but for me this set has a few issues, I'm not trying to be contentious - just offering a different perspective.

Firstly, as a dog lover and owner, I'm upset that this dog has 'clipped' ears - the practice of cutting a dogs ears to shape is utterly barbaric, totally unnecessary and it's the very first thing I've noticed - it's not permitted in the UK and my immediate feeling is that 1. this is an image taken outside of the UK, and 2. anyone that owns an animal that has this type of cosmetic alteration (there is no valid argument for this type of procedure) that I find myself questioning the owners ethics (and I appreciate this dog might be a rescue and therefore not something it's present owner has inflicted)

Secondly, the 'leaping' pose makes me feel a bit concerned too - I wholly accept that I'm a complete 'softie' when it comes to any animal, but a 'dog handler' who is encouraging this type of behaviour is not only endangering the dog physically (i.e. ruptured ligaments or damaged back) she is also encouraging a behaviour that could endanger this dogs life - jumping up and grabbing is usually (in the UK) something we discourage. It could be classed as 'aggressive behaviour' if a dog consitently jumps up to grab something from a person who is scared of dogs, or a small child who doesn't understand the dogs behaviour is playful could be scared out of their wits - and their parents decide to take very drastic action which might result in the dog being destroyed :(

I wholly understand that you may have been just doing what your client requested, but for the reasons I've given above, I really don't like them.

However, the dog looks happy, confident and very well cared for which is great, and just on a photographic perspective I really like your fourth image - the connection you have with the handler is great, I could only improve it if the dog looked directly at you.

As previously stated, I'm not trying to be contentious, just offering a different perspective.

Hi Dmitry, I've often admired your work, but for me this set has a few issues, I'm not trying to be contentious - just offering a different perspective.

Firstly, as a dog lover and owner, I'm upset that this dog has 'clipped' ears - the practice of cutting a dogs ears to shape is utterly barbaric, totally unnecessary and it's the very first thing I've noticed - it's not permitted in the UK and my immediate feeling is that 1. this is an image taken outside of the UK, and 2. anyone that owns an animal that has this type of cosmetic alteration (there is no valid argument for this type of procedure) that I find myself questioning the owners ethics (and I appreciate this dog might be a rescue and therefore not something it's present owner has inflicted)

Secondly, the 'leaping' pose makes me feel a bit concerned too - I wholly accept that I'm a complete 'softie' when it comes to any animal, but a 'dog handler' who is encouraging this type of behaviour is not only endangering the dog physically (i.e. ruptured ligaments or damaged back) she is also encouraging a behaviour that could endanger this dogs life - jumping up and grabbing is usually (in the UK) something we discourage. It could be classed as 'aggressive behaviour' if a dog consitently jumps up to grab something from a person who is scared of dogs, or a small child who doesn't understand the dogs behaviour is playful could be scared out of their wits - and their parents decide to take very drastic action which might result in the dog being destroyed :(

I wholly understand that you may have been just doing what your client requested, but for the reasons I've given above, I really don't like them.

However, the dog looks happy, confident and very well cared for which is great, and just on a photographic perspective I really like your fourth image - the connection you have with the handler is great, I could only improve it if the dog looked directly at you.

As previously stated, I'm not trying to be contentious, just offering a different perspective.

Hello Maria!

Thank you for detailed response.

I was surpised this young dog knows many commands like: to lay down, to give a hand, to crawl, and even to do somersault!

There is a photo, where Jerri Li gives a hand. But I decided to give more action on photos and proposed to do some jumps. So, It was my idea, not the owner. In most time this dog was very obedient. For example, when Lea went to the store, leaving me a dog, he sat quietly and did not make any problems. Although I was pretty unknown person for him.

Last edited:
Back