Leaderfoot Viaduct

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
I spent last week touring the Scottish Borders in our Motorhome.
Came upon this magnificent structure so decided a pano was the way to go ;)

Leaderfoot Viaduct is a railway viaduct over the River Tweed near Melrose in the Scottish Borders.
The viaduct was opened on 16 November 1863 to carry the Berwickshire Railway, which connected Reston with St Boswells, via Duns and Greenlaw.

The railway was severely damaged by flooding during August 1948, with 7 bridges on the line falling, and the line closed to passenger traffic on 13 August 1948. Freight trains continued to run across the viaduct as far as Greenlaw until 19 July 1965.

In 1981, the poor condition of the viaduct meant that it was due to be demolished.

It was upgraded from Category B to A listing in 1986.
Historic Scotland took over control of the viaduct from British Rail in 1996.

Sony a6300 + SZ 16-70 f4, 3 images stitched in LR CC

Leaderfoot Viaduct by Mike Stephen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice one, I like that (y)

Looks better bigger and the two people on the left give it a sense of scale. Can you walk over it?

I like the grandeur of it, which the pano treatment brings out. And the low evening light is lovely. But I wonder whether there's just too much in the shot. The couple are too tiny at this scale.

Lovely well composed shot Sir, with spot on exposure & presentation.(y)

George.

That's delicious, Mike, tx for sharing!

I do like it but it portrays some of the issues of stitching wide angle shots so it doesn't feel quite right for me I'm afraid :)

I'm of a similar opinion. Does it rise in the middle or is this distortion from the lens and stitching?

The viaduct is flat so you are seeing a mixture of wide angle shots which gives the non vertical uprights and strange perspective, and limited corrections applied during/after stitching which causes the bulge (maybe spherical perspective would have worked better?).

Typically you want to shoot 35mm equivalent at the widest when stitching, this is why you normally shoot in portrait orientation so as to get enough height in the image (assuming you want to minimise distortions of course).

I can see the apeal in both but pfere the second Mike

Back