Leah

Interesting discussion.

I kinda like the portrait, but I agree the background is a touch dominating. Adding a flash to make the model stand out from the background might have worked.
I'd be interested to know what lens was used, because it seems to have been shot with a longer telephoto (70-200 @ 100mm or more) pulling the background closer to the subject. Perhaps shooting at 50mm might have given a bit more distance between the subject and background, rendering the bokeh a bit smaller and less distracting.

As for the model/styling, the hair and clothing are quite delicate, which is slightly at odds with a large tattoo on the arm, if that is the intention, then fair play, if not then the tattoo is taking attention away from the face.

Are there any other shots from the shoot that have different poses or backgrounds?

Just my thoughts.

I rarely get involved in online arguments but obviously the girls (model) suffered the pain of the tattoo an is very proud of it herself.... So maybe she wanted it included in the image. Simon did a good job of his image all round. The tattoo is irrelevant to this forum. Wer'e supposed to be either praising good work or helping others to do better, and that's it.
On a personal note, I too dislike tattoos on display, be it female or male, (sqadly my Daughter has them) but then that's my age I suppose. I see many young girls saving for there next one and they are soooo happy with them. Well, that's their business and NOT mine.

I nothing wrong with the image Simon took photography wise at all! And this point should never have been braoched at all.

Rant over

Last edited:
I rarely get involved in online arguments but obviously the girls (model) suffered the pain of the tattoo an is very proud of it herself.... So maybe she wanted it included in the image. Simon did a good job of his image all round. The tattoo is irrelevant to this forum. Wer'e supposed to be either praising good work or helping others to do better, and that's it.
On a personal note, I too dislike tattoos on display, be it female or male, (sqadly my Daughter has them) but then that's my age I suppose. I see many young girls saving for there next one and they are soooo happy with them. Well, that's their business and NOT mine.

I nothing wrong with the image Simon took photography wise at all!

Rant over

To be fair it wasn't really an argument, I found it interesting to hear views and explanations how others see things..
The thread was more a heads up to the rules etc that just expanded.
In fairness in was better than a lot of discussions can end up :)

Last edited:
Interesting discussion.

I kinda like the portrait, but I agree the background is a touch dominating. Adding a flash to make the model stand out from the background might have worked.
I'd be interested to know what lens was used, because it seems to have been shot with a longer telephoto (70-200 @ 100mm or more) pulling the background closer to the subject. Perhaps shooting at 50mm might have given a bit more distance between the subject and background, rendering the bokeh a bit smaller and less distracting.

As for the model/styling, the hair and clothing are quite delicate, which is slightly at odds with a large tattoo on the arm, if that is the intention, then fair play, if not then the tattoo is taking attention away from the face.

Are there any other shots from the shoot that have different poses or backgrounds?

Just my thoughts.

Lens used was the Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM at F4i think.

As for other images from the shoot i'll dig some out, but it was my intention to have the tattoo in shot.

Its part of who she is, personality etc..:)

Back