Leaping Roe

Thanks Jan and i will keep that in mind as its a fair lump to hit you at speed.

Hey John,
just superb mate,utterly superb well done you. The dew spraying from the feet is really cool it adds so much!! Just fab buddy. I want one :LOL:

John is it ok to ask janny about the roe running into folks??........I'm very aware of how bad their short sight seems to be it sort of worries me slightly. Did the doe turn on hearing the shutter John?? Sorry for all the questions i'm really pushing at the roe at the moment, and leaning a lot, a bit more knowledge wouldn't hurt !! i'm trying to catch up with mum and little ones ,the first have been seen locally already. It's been fascinating this last week watching the number of does gradually decrease,my thoerie is they are sneaking off somewhere quite to give birth. I'm seeing bucks chasing each other bucks chasing does which all seems a bit early. But having this mad chance close by has been a real eye opener....I think I saw 6 different bucks last night.

Many thanks mate what a cracking image !!

stu

Hi Stu. The incidents I've seen have been when the roe have been put up by people moving through heavy cover (woodland with ground cover or tall crops) and someone's been unlucky enough to be in the way. Human unable to see deer coming, deer unable to see human in its path. To be fair I've never seen it happen on open ground.

Hi Stu , the doe knew i was there as i had no cover and she just wanted to get to the woods behind me , but i have noticed they will usually walk around and even come closer trying to work out what you are, actually had one this morning doing just that. Oh and Stu later on i had my first encounter with mum and Bambi's

Bambi plus one (Roe Fawns) by John, on Flickr

Hi Stu. The incidents I've seen have been when the roe have been put up by people moving through heavy cover (woodland with ground cover or tall crops) and someone's been unlucky enough to be in the way. Human unable to see deer coming, deer unable to see human in its path. To be fair I've never seen it happen on open ground.

Thanks for this Jan....I'm completely at a loss as to how to legislate for this one,the fact that it hadn't even occurred to me what what worries me. I use two base tactics when stalking either the animal completely knows i'm there or doesn't. the former you have watched me use a while with the hares The latter used exclusively with roe. they know something is there mainly because of shutter noise when they know just what I am they leave. The curiousity they display is exactly what John speaks of they will come very close and circle while doing so. I had this with five deer at the same time the other day. The one that came from behind me I knew nothing of ,I was aware of all the others. The low POV I so oft use leaves one a bit vunerable Jan,I try pretty hard to be responsible,no huge wish to get clobbered by one of these going full tilt especially the bucks. But how can one prevent that sort of thing happening ? i'm at a loss really as this could potentially happen to anyone walking the countryside.

Interesting Janny thanks for the original to john and the reply to me

John fantastic mate,what a joy I'm naturally jealous as hell. but also stoked for you. They are so wonderful at this age but so hard to find !! Your doing well at the moment mate fair play !! i'm really hoping i'll get a chance too,I can't complain I've probably made more images of roe these last weeks than in the previous two years,but those little guys are so wanted I'll have to keep trying tis a bit of a needle in a haystack job though

As I just mentioned to Jan the circling you see is exactly what I see my interpretation is the same as yours they are trying to work out what we are it really shows how poor their close sight is. It's nuts they spot one a field away, but under their noses seemingly are blind as bats. The shutter noise is the draw even on silent they hear it.

Great stuff mate thanks for sharing the kids I bet your well chuffed:)
cheers both
stu

The low POV I so oft use leaves one a bit vunerable Jan,I try pretty hard to be responsible,no huge wish to get clobbered by one of these going full tilt especially the bucks. But how can one prevent that sort of thing happening ? i'm at a loss really as this could potentially happen to anyone walking the countryside.

I wouldn't worry about it too much Stu. I think you are actually in far less danger than we were when the incidents I saw occurred. I saw two in five years of being in the particular situation I was in, so they weren't exactly commonplace.

Well the worry hasn't been enough to stop me Jan just back in with possibly another couple of keepers :rolleyes::) no kidlets:(. But it did have me up in the night a pondering,always something to learn . Jan I've never really done roe like I am at the moment the sheer numbers I am getting to has me bemused With numbers percentages of incident have to change............... just simple logic. Tis good to arm oneself with every scrap of knowledge going .

cheers again:)

Stu i think the chances of getting hit by one is not even considering ,when did any of us have a big win on the lottery! Just get out and enjoy. Life is to short for worrying what if, and another thing how often do you see a roe smashing into stuff after you surprised it never.
Mate it was great to see the fawns hopefully catch up with them again .

Oh chirst jon by god I'm getting out and enjoying too much mate barely post anything:LOL: it's heaven for me at the mo,but they have got pointy bits mate!! They really don't know i'm there John sometimes it's for me sod the shutter noise so I just watch a while before taking pics

Erm:) ,I've seen then get spooked by dogs into fences get in a terrible state. I've seen them spooked by a horse and rider a field away smash into a hedge and get hung up ,not read about seen with my eyes . so yes mate they really do just run into things, the words blind and panic being incredibly apt here .

john I was so close I had to go backwards today to frame a piccy I don't fear them at all I try to respect what they could do. tis all,i'm not being alarmest just sensible for once:p

I do hope you get to them again I'd love to see more

Fantastic action shot of the roe in full flight, top notch detail too John and the fawns are a very good addition to your day

Back