weekly Leebert's 52 for 2019 COMPLETE! Week 52 - Out take.

Very nicely frozen motion - should be proud of that clever image and concept

Not that's clever!

Hi Lee

Welcome back ongrid.

New, I had the same thought, but it was cloudy on the 6th & 7th & 8th and the 20thas well.
Nice crisp image of the moon against the dark evening sky, the conifer helps fill the frame nicely and gives some scale.

Clean, thanks for the explaination of what you did, which worked well, but the image does not float my plastic duck I'm afraid. Maybe if it was all in fovus it would work better, I don't know.

Open, that works better than your last one. I hope the suggestion worked well and Mrs Leebert enjoyed it.

Pete

Nicely done Lee, the use of flash has worked well there.
Lighting is good too, off camera I assume as it seems to be coming slightly from the side (adding depth) and the shadows aren't harsh, so using a modifier of some kind I think.
Thank you. You are spot on with the lighting too. An off camera flash through a white brolly slightly above and to the left

A good idea and you got the focus on the right thing. I find the curtains in the left of the background a bit distracting though.
Thank you for your comments. Will check my BG next time - thank you for pointing that out.

Terrifically imaginative image Lee!
Very well done on nailing a good exposure on both the watch and (the long suffering) Mrs Leebert....not easy to get right.
The watch is pin sharp and due to you placing it at the end of it's swing, it has a nice dynamic feel to it.
My regards to Mrs Leebert, what a good sport!....but I hope she didn't feel the urge to go and clean the car immediately after this shot was taken!!:LOL:

Thank you. Lol!! If I recall, I did the washing up and Mrs Leebert sat in front of the telly with a coffee. I clearly and rubbish at hypnosis!! :LOL:

Very nicely frozen motion - should be proud of that clever image and concept

Hypnotic shot! Great idea and well executed!

very nice capture great detail in the watch.

Very good take on open, great focus on the watch.

Not that's clever!

That’s a really original take on the theme ...the focus on the watch is perfect, well done for thinking of that one.

Thanks all. Much appreciated.

Hi Lee

Welcome back ongrid.

New, I had the same thought, but it was cloudy on the 6th & 7th & 8th and the 20thas well.
Nice crisp image of the moon against the dark evening sky, the conifer helps fill the frame nicely and gives some scale.

Clean, thanks for the explaination of what you did, which worked well, but the image does not float my plastic duck I'm afraid. Maybe if it was all in fovus it would work better, I don't know.

Open, that works better than your last one. I hope the suggestion worked well and Mrs Leebert enjoyed it.

Pete

Thanks Pete. See above re my hypnosis success Lol!!

Archive alert!!

I really like to take the photo of the theme in the week that it's announced but this week and next are looking to be quite busy so I have decided to go with an archive shot.

The image below is of the Triangulum Galaxy (Messier M33 or NGC598). It was taken on the Isle of Wight in October 2013. It is approximately 3 million light years away. That's approximately 17,635,876,623,745,230,000 miles away so fairly distant!

Week 4 - Distant by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Last edited:
How am I supposed to keep the spreadsheet up to date if you don't post in the main thread? eh?
;)

Lovely shot Lee. It's amazing how much more you can see away from light pollution.

Oops!! I wrote the post but forgot to press POST!! Luckily, when I clicked on the images thread, my post was still sitting there ready to go - that's clever! All fixed now (I hope). Apologies.

Thanks. A group of us used to go to Brighstone Holiday Centre in SW Wight before it closed. There are lovely dark skies there.

brilliant pic and that certainly is distant.
I am hoping to have a go at some Astro in the near future and seeing pics like this makes me want to do it even more so.

Amazing shots Lee,

I particularly like the Distant one. I love night photography and long exposures but never get anything that good. Very impressed.

Both Open and Distant are really great shots, think I agree with one of the comments about the curtain though. Really great idea though and well captured.
The distant photo is really interesting I like this Astro photography think I need to look into this a little perhaps for the future

That's distant - you win!

Great image

Hi Lee

Clean - This is where time disappears! What you think will be a relatively simple shot sometimes takes for ever! The effort paid off :D the frozen drops work really well. I do find the bits on the shelves a slight distraction. Did you thinks about a mono version? I think that could be good

Open - Excellent, really like this. The watch is lovely and sharp and just enough dof to make Mrs Leebert a bit oof :D Well done to her for being so patient, unless you really did hypnotise her :LOL:

New-great idea for the them, works very well
Clean-The frozen water drops work very well, though I find the shower gel/shampoo etc a bit distracting. A closer crop might have worked better.
Open-another great idea for the theme. The sharpness of the watch and use of dof makes the image
Distant-well that certainly fits the theme! I'd have been more impresed if it had been taken this week, but it's a fantastic image nonetheless.

Like the slither of new moon you have captured. nice image

Some nice images for your 52 both the shower and hypnosis pics really catch the eye the Astro shot is impressive not something I have ever had a go at.

Open - very clever I like that frozen moment.
Distant - wow that is very distant great shot

brilliant pic and that certainly is distant.
I am hoping to have a go at some Astro in the near future and seeing pics like this makes me want to do it even more so.

Good shot for the theme.

Great image Lee!
You've pulled out some spectacular colours, and very nice detail in the spiral arms.
That's a lot of numbers....definitely qualifies for 'distant'!
Nice!(y)

Great shot. As distant as it gets!!

Amazing shots Lee,

I particularly like the Distant one. I love night photography and long exposures but never get anything that good. Very impressed.

Both Open and Distant are really great shots, think I agree with one of the comments about the curtain though. Really great idea though and well captured.
The distant photo is really interesting I like this Astro photography think I need to look into this a little perhaps for the future

That's distant - you win!

Great image

Hi Lee

Clean - This is where time disappears! What you think will be a relatively simple shot sometimes takes for ever! The effort paid off :D the frozen drops work really well. I do find the bits on the shelves a slight distraction. Did you thinks about a mono version? I think that could be good

Open - Excellent, really like this. The watch is lovely and sharp and just enough dof to make Mrs Leebert a bit oof :D Well done to her for being so patient, unless you really did hypnotise her :LOL:

New-great idea for the them, works very well
Clean-The frozen water drops work very well, though I find the shower gel/shampoo etc a bit distracting. A closer crop might have worked better.
Open-another great idea for the theme. The sharpness of the watch and use of dof makes the image
Distant-well that certainly fits the theme! I'd have been more impresed if it had been taken this week, but it's a fantastic image nonetheless.

Wow Lee that is amazing, the stars are fascinating aren't they.

Kudos to Mrs Leebert for the idea for Open and also posing as your subject - it works very well and the DOF is perfect.
As for Distant - wow! I love this sort of image and this is fascinating.

Like the slither of new moon you have captured. nice image

Some nice images for your 52 both the shower and hypnosis pics really catch the eye the Astro shot is impressive not something I have ever had a go at.

Open - very clever I like that frozen moment.
Distant - wow that is very distant great shot

Thanks all (y)

'Distant' was taken with a telescope on a guided mount. I think it was 6 qty exposures each of ten minutes so an hour in total. Astrophotography is quite addictive and can be a bit of a slippery slope but it doesn't have to be super expensive ;)

Thank you for all for dropping by and taking the time to leave comments - it is appreciated :)

Okay. So, we have been given the perfect theme for most of the country and I had an idea to take some macro photos of individual snow flakes. I have had a go before but I didn't want to use another archive shot.

All that needed to happen was for the weather to play ball and snow to fall. What could possibly go wrong as the Met office had forecast a good load of sustained snowfall? Well, the snow was in fact rain and I had to come up with anther plan and quick!

My first idea was a Triptych with three images playing on the word Cold. I wasn't really happy with two of the three photos so I decided to just use the first one. After all, what else is there to do whilst waiting for it to snow during this Cold Snap...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/QLpWTR]
Week 5 - Cold (snap) by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Great take on the theme Lee. Really good contrast between the snow and the colours on the cards, plus great composition with club card and hand out of focus.

Very original!! Great shot for the theme. I wonder how many people would have got it without the explanation.....

Great take on the theme Lee. Really good contrast between the snow and the colours on the cards, plus great composition with club card and hand out of focus.
Very original!! Great shot for the theme. I wonder how many people would have got it without the explanation.....

Thank you both.

The other photos for the series were these two...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SoB9PE]
Cold... by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/SoB9MA]
Cold... by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

This is similar to what I was actually hoping for - taken in February 2018...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/23DSqAf]
Snowflakes by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Love your snowflakes, very intricate details. Cold snap is a great take on the theme.(y).

Hi Lee,

I like the play on the theme for cold snap. The snowflake shot from last year is very nice also, great detail and like the purple background.
I really like the use of flash in clean (those drops are so clear) and in open to freeze the watch. I'm looking forward to learning to use a flash properly in the future. Great shots!

The idea with the cards is very creative! However I am a fan of the snowflakes ! The detail and the small water droplets just add to it.

What a good selection of images, Lee! I think you've picked the strongest and most original one for your #1 choice, and the composition, focus and colours are spot on. However, the one of your feet in the snow is not only funny but also REALLY conveys a sense of cold. Very brave of you :D

Blinking heck! I have just been out in the garden doing COLD snap as well. Only difference is I used the fives to SNAP! Wish I had looked at the thread earlier! May still use it if I come up blank!

Any of those shots for cold would be bang on Lee, my pic though is your bare feet in the cold snow.

Love your snowflakes, very intricate details. Cold snap is a great take on the theme.(y).

Clever interpretation of the theme Lee, very cool!
All are excellent....the snowflake image is incredible!
I like the image you posted, not sure why really....maybe it's the clever use of DoF in the cards.
Nice work!(y)

The idea with the cards is very creative! However I am a fan of the snowflakes ! The detail and the small water droplets just add to it.

What a good selection of images, Lee! I think you've picked the strongest and most original one for your #1 choice, and the composition, focus and colours are spot on. However, the one of your feet in the snow is not only funny but also REALLY conveys a sense of cold. Very brave of you :D

Thank you all very much for taking the time to comment. :)

Hi Lee,
I like the play on the theme for cold snap. The snowflake shot from last year is very nice also, great detail and like the purple background.
I really like the use of flash in clean (those drops are so clear) and in open to freeze the watch. I'm looking forward to learning to use a flash properly in the future. Great shots!
Thank you. The flash I bought when I first started turned out to be completely manual. At first, I thought I had made a mistake but, over time, I think it taught me much more about being creative with it. I soon got some basic remote controls for it and that opened up more possibilities. The flash and remotes I bought and still use are very inexpensive. They are the Yongnuo YN560-III flash and the Yongnuo RF603 II remote.

Blinking heck! I have just been out in the garden doing COLD snap as well. Only difference is I used the fives to SNAP! Wish I had looked at the thread earlier! May still use it if I come up blank!

Oops! On the plus side, great minds think alike (y)

Back