weekly Leebert's 52 for 2019 COMPLETE! Week 52 - Out take.

Fantastic shot Lee, colours are brilliant too!

I'd say a very good start indeed. Super shot!!
Great shot, Have tried this a few times in the past and it was very much more misses than hits. Good Capture
Great shot, I really like the colours on it, it pops off the background nicely. And, great timing
Amazing capture, what a stunner. Lovely colour of the water and great detail in the splash
Fantastic shot Lee, colours are brilliant too!
Really nice Lee, detail & colours are ace!

Thank you all for your kind comments. Expect more water drop related shoehorns soon!!

Lee, that photo of the sun is absolutely stunning :clap:.... I can see that in a magazine, it’s too good not to have a wider audience.
Excellent waterdrop too, enhanced by the super colour.
Wow! Thank you Susie. That is very kind of you :)

Object, really great idea Lee. It’s anazing that you can actually get a photo of something so far away actually with the sun in the background. Really like this.
Wet, the colours are great. Not to mention the shot as well

Object: wow wow and wow. Nothing else to say as it has already been said.

Wet. This is more than a decent image it is simply stunning. I would be more than happy with this as a starter. Lovely lighting and colours as well. Look forward to seeing more of them.

Great image Lee. Really like the colour in it. I think you've done pretty darn good for your first attempts. I'd be more than happy with that

I love bot those Object shots.
Wet is excellent too, very nicely done!
Thank you Jon.

Object, really great idea Lee. It’s anazing that you can actually get a photo of something so far away actually with the sun in the background. Really like this.
Wet, the colours are great. Not to mention the shot as well
Thank. Object was definitely a case of right time, right place!

Object: wow wow and wow. Nothing else to say as it has already been said.

Wet. This is more than a decent image it is simply stunning. I would be more than happy with this as a starter. Lovely lighting and colours as well. Look forward to seeing more of them.
Thanks Mandy Be careful what you wish for (see week 10 ;) ).

Thanks Lee. I will have a little shuftie.
(y)

Wet
Great job. I don't know what else to say really.
Thanks Dominic.

Great image Lee. Really like the colour in it. I think you've done pretty darn good for your first attempts. I'd be more than happy with that
Thank you Ian.

Week 10 - Free.

At the risk of being repetitive, some more water related fun. As I was looking at the screen on the back of my camera when taking water drop shots yesterday I started to see things in the patterns. Almost like galaxies or nebulae and such like. My thoughts then turned to a sequence of water drop shots of a space like or other worldly (is that a word?) theme. In the end, as I was editing the images, I thought it looked more like beer so I changed my mind and called it 'Amber Nectar'. Funny how things kinda evolve like that!

Still early days with this but it is sooooo addictive. My next hurdle to stumble over is getting it all in focus. The drop collisions are quite small and it's a balancing act between getting the image DoF great enough but not having the camera so far away that I have to over crop and lose detail... Answers on a post card please :)

Week 10 - Amber nectar by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great work. Hard to imagine it's water. I see what you mean about the focus, if the bottom half of the 'head' were as sharp as the top ....

Truly amazing Lee!!:clap:
The colours are incredible and the collision itself is terrific!
Fantastic work indeed Lee!

As you know Lee, like you I'm still a novice, but I don't think there's any way to get all the collision event in focus, other than backing the camera up, or stopping down to minimum aperture.
I've stopped down as far as I dare (no further than f16 to avoid defraction effects) and when I'm close to the collision, I'm still getting OOF areas.
It's so tempting to fill the frame with the collision, but there's always going to be a push-pull with focus and size.
If you back up the camera a little, and are using a large-ish drop tray, you could get some nice surface ripples in the shot, and furthermore, if you use a thickening agent (eg. xantham gum) then the ripples will be neater....I'm still experimenting with mixes, so I've got a lot to learn!
You might have to crop a tiny bit, but it might be a worthwhile sacrifice to achieve front to back sharpness.

Nevertheless, this image is amazing....I love it!(y)
And I agree, it is incredibly addictive....my setup has sprung a serious leak, so I haven't been able to use it for a while....I must fix it soon....starting to get withdrawal symptoms!!:LOL:

That IS a good start for Wet, Lee, with the great colours and shapes formed by the water. It's something I want to try too, so I'm always fascinated by images like this. And then you topped it with your image for the open theme, with that elegant 'stem' capped by all the little drops around the edge of the main ring :clap:

Great work. Hard to imagine it's water. I see what you mean about the focus, if the bottom half of the 'head' were as sharp as the top ....
Thanks Bob. Some more experimentation required. I am determined to get it all in focus. Sadly, it's not something that can be fixed by focus stacking!

Another fantastic water image from you Lee, great colours and all I can really say is WOW.
Thank you Dave (y)

Truly amazing Lee!!:clap:
The colours are incredible and the collision itself is terrific!
Fantastic work indeed Lee!

As you know Lee, like you I'm still a novice, but I don't think there's any way to get all the collision event in focus, other than backing the camera up, or stopping down to minimum aperture.
I've stopped down as far as I dare (no further than f16 to avoid defraction effects) and when I'm close to the collision, I'm still getting OOF areas.
It's so tempting to fill the frame with the collision, but there's always going to be a push-pull with focus and size.
If you back up the camera a little, and are using a large-ish drop tray, you could get some nice surface ripples in the shot, and furthermore, if you use a thickening agent (eg. xantham gum) then the ripples will be neater....I'm still experimenting with mixes, so I've got a lot to learn!
You might have to crop a tiny bit, but it might be a worthwhile sacrifice to achieve front to back sharpness.

Nevertheless, this image is amazing....I love it!(y)
And I agree, it is incredibly addictive....my setup has sprung a serious leak, so I haven't been able to use it for a while....I must fix it soon....starting to get withdrawal symptoms!!:LOL:
Thank you so much Gareth. I used a small amount of Guar Gum for that shot. It makes things a lot easier (apart from the repetitive straining of the liquid) but I had to start again with the drop controller settings as everything needs more time. That is one benefit of triggering the flash - I can see the drops mid fall if the flash is firing too early. Thanks for the tips on focussing. There is more experimentation to be done :)

That IS a good start for Wet, Lee, with the great colours and shapes formed by the water. It's something I want to try too, so I'm always fascinated by images like this. And then you topped it with your image for the open theme, with that elegant 'stem' capped by all the little drops around the edge of the main ring :clap:
Thanks you very much Andrea. Have a look at Gareth's water drop thread in his signature. That's where I started. Watch out - it is very addictive!

Thanks you very much Andrea. Have a look at Gareth's water drop thread in his signature. That's where I started. Watch out - it is very addictive!

I know, I've seen his thread and all the electrickery looks very complicated so well done for getting up and running! I will have a try one day though :)

That's a cracker of a water drop shot, perfect timing and good focus. Just a wee downside for me is the tight crop around the splash pattern.
Thank you for your comments Stan. The box of tricks sorts out the timing but the water drops do their own thing every time. Every photo looks different. I will be backing the camera off to allow more room around it though. It's all part of the learning curve!

That's very clever, Lee. I like it. Looks like a sculptured bit of glass or a bowl on a stand. I love the ripples in the top section, looks awesome.

That's a cracker of a water drop shot, perfect timing and good focus. Just a wee downside for me is the tight crop around the splash pattern.

^^^^ That. A little wider and a little more DOF would be perfect. As it is I can only give you 9.9/10 :)

That's very clever, Lee. I like it. Looks like a sculptured bit of glass or a bowl on a stand. I love the ripples in the top section, looks awesome.
Thanks Carl. They do look almost surreal. Not like water at all. It amazes me that they all look different to me with so many different shapes and patterns in the drops.

You're getting seriously good at the water drops Lee, that is an absolute smasher, so much detail captured in there.
Thank you Susie. Let me know if you have had enough of them as they may feature again ;)

^^^^ That. A little wider and a little more DOF would be perfect. As it is I can only give you 9.9/10 :)
Thank you Dave. Every time I photograph them I hope to improve. I'm hoping for a 9.91 for this one ;)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RoNbbT]
Parasol by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Thanks Carl. They do look almost surreal. Not like water at all. It amazes me that they all look different to me with so many different shapes and patterns in the drops.

Thank you Susie. Let me know if you have had enough of them as they may feature again ;)

Thank you Dave. Every time I photograph them I hope to improve. I'm hoping for a 9.91 for this one ;)

Parasol by Lee Francis, on Flickr

You got it :D

Nothing wrong with any of those. Repetitive is just the same as practice makes perfect in this game. Very interesting images

Another brilliant water drop shot. Colours and details are stunning. Look forward to seeing more of them.

Hi Lee,

Wet - Great colour and excellent 3D effect. It takes on the appearance of some extruded coloured glass. (y)

Free - Well worth the time and effort you've put into making the controller and learning this technique. I've got to admit I prefer the second shot you used for this theme, I think because I feel blue suits water shots better, and the shappe of the splash reminds me of a mushroom.
:clap:

The last one you posted absolutely amazing :clap:
I definitely won’t get fed up of them, that last one is fabulous :clap: you must be really pleased with that one.
Nothing wrong with any of those. Repetitive is just the same as practice makes perfect in this game. Very interesting images
Another brilliant water drop shot. Colours and details are stunning. Look forward to seeing more of them.
Hi Lee,

Wet - Great colour and excellent 3D effect. It takes on the appearance of some extruded coloured glass. (y)

Free - Well worth the time and effort you've put into making the controller and learning this technique. I've got to admit I prefer the second shot you used for this theme, I think because I feel blue suits water shots better, and the shappe of the splash reminds me of a mushroom.
:clap:
Ruddy Nora Lee!!!
I'm gonna have to seriously step up my game!!!
Phenomenal work Lee!!
:clap::clap::clap:

Thank you all very much for taking the time to drop by and comment. It is much appreciated :)

Archive alert!!

It's a very busy week and the poor camera hasn't seen the light of day for quite while now. Another rummage through the archive has resulted in the following outrageous shoe horn. I'm not really happy about using another archive shot so soon but needs must as I really don't want to get into the habit of missing a week and having to catch up.

Week 11 - Entrance (blocked?).
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2eacFfU]
Week 11 - Entrance (blocked?). by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

It's been locked with a sturdy chain and part of a tree trunk has been left behind it just in case someone breaks the padlock. Is it blocked? Answers on a postcard to the usual address.... ;)

I reckon you could probably get round that if you have the right skills and training, what a strange thing

Excellent image Lee!(y)
Very nicely composed and the colours are terrific!
It fits the theme nicely too....it certainly has an amusing story there.
It's comforting to know that the owner has taken such steps to prevent the theft of those valuable bits of wood.

I reckon you could probably get round that if you have the right skills and training, what a strange thing

Surely you'd need to be some kind of ninja!:LOL:

Lee,

Your Wet and Free shots are mind blowing! I could look at pictures like that all day, the detail and colours are sublime.

Entrance: Love this (archive or not), so simple yet so many layers to it. Especially with the description of the gate being so secure. Gateway to another dimension maybe?

Really liking the water drop images. I’ve tried it before so I appreciate how hard it wan be.
Great inspiration, thanks

that has to be the most pointless entrance in the whole 365 :eek:
I think its great must have been some right pen pusher behind that.

I couldn't get my head around it! It is odd. It's not like there is any evidence of an old fence line (or a new one for that matter!).

Excellent image Lee!(y)
Very nicely composed and the colours are terrific!
It fits the theme nicely too....it certainly has an amusing story there.
It's comforting to know that the owner has taken such steps to prevent the theft of those valuable bits of wood.

Surely you'd need to be some kind of ninja!:LOL:
Thank you Gareth. I think the valuable wood is safe even from a Ninja.

i like this image. it always makes me wonder when i see these isolated features on how they ended up being the only thing still standing. nicely framed and executed.
Thanks. Yes, it is strange. I couldn't pass without taking a photo!

Lee,

Your Wet and Free shots are mind blowing! I could look at pictures like that all day, the detail and colours are sublime.

Entrance: Love this (archive or not), so simple yet so many layers to it. Especially with the description of the gate being so secure. Gateway to another dimension maybe?
Thank you. That's got to be the best explanation yet. Something along the lines of Platform 9 3/4 at Kings Cross?

Really liking the water drop images. I’ve tried it before so I appreciate how hard it wan be.
Great inspiration, thanks
Thank you. Gareth's tutorial really kicked the project off for me. Best of luck if you build one.

that has to be the most pointless entrance in the whole 365 :eek:
I think its great must have been some right pen pusher behind that.
I agree. There's no evidence of anything to go with it either planned or past!

At home not feeling to clever at the moment. Pretty frazzled after a busy spell at work but I couldn't pass up today's lovely warming sunshine to nip into the garden and capture a photo of a young emerging bud on our Privet hedge.

Nikon D750 / Tamron 90mm macro. JPEG image SOOC.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ffeEgf]
Week 12 - Young (SOOC) by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Back