weekly Leebert's 52 for 2019 COMPLETE! Week 52 - Out take.

Annnnnnnd moving quickly on to week 20. I was taken by these three stone capitals in the gardens of Clandon Park. They would have once been at the top of stone columns. Their function is to spread the load of the structure above on to the column beneath. Now, they are rather large garden ornaments.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2fY8oue]
Clandon House Capitals by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Thanks for taking the time to drop by :)

Great images there Lee!:clap:
What a tragedy for Clandon House! A terrible shame that such a destructive fire has ruined this beautiful, grand bedroom....it would probably wholly inappropriate to inject a 'on fire/in the bedroom' pun here, so I won't!;)
The stone work looks in reasonable shape (from a purely lay-persons point of view) but there's so much fire damage to everything else.
Your free image is top notch Lee.
Very ornate masonry there, and interesting to know what they once were used for.
I do like your choice of DoF....very creative to place the foreground one OOF.
Great work Lee!(y)

I'll take any or all of them for theme Lee. Nicely portrayed and it goes a way to telling the story.

I've been to Clandon a few times in the past as i'm only up the road, and it was a lovely place to be. When these old buildings get ruined by fire, it's devastating.

Hopefully they'll be able to get it back to it's best in years to come

Those stone capitals are both impressive and sad at the same time really. If you'd had seen them lined up in the garden, you'd have thought they were some sort of garden elements, but knowing the backstory, it's a shame. Nice image though with lovely details Lee

Last edited:
Hi Lee, you must have worked so hard on your image for Crowd, very well done to you for taking the time and trouble to come up with such an original idea :clap:
You certainly found a wonderful location for Decay, they all fit the theme perfectly, they're sad to see but are strangely interesting as they have so much detail in them.
Those stones look very heavy indeed, you've added interest by choosing your distant focal point. I love visiting these old places aand I think the NT do a fabulous job of looking after them, even though they vary in age from 6 to 23 my grandkids all love visiting them.

Great images there Lee!:clap:
What a tragedy for Clandon House! A terrible shame that such a destructive fire has ruined this beautiful, grand bedroom....it would probably wholly inappropriate to inject a 'on fire/in the bedroom' pun here, so I won't!;)
The stone work looks in reasonable shape (from a purely lay-persons point of view) but there's so much fire damage to everything else.
Your free image is top notch Lee.
Very ornate masonry there, and interesting to know what they once were used for.
I do like your choice of DoF....very creative to place the foreground one OOF.
Great work Lee!(y)
Thank you Gareth.

I'll take any or all of them for theme Lee. Nicely portrayed and it goes a way to telling the story.

I've been to Clandon a few times in the past as i'm only up the road, and it was a lovely place to be. When these old buildings get ruined by fire, it's devastating.

Hopefully they'll be able to get it back to it's best in years to come

Those stone capitals are both impressive and sad at the same time really. If you'd had seen them lined up in the garden, you'd have thought they were some sort of garden elements, but knowing the backstory, it's a shame. Nice image though with lovely details Lee
Thank you Ian.

Hi Lee, you must have worked so hard on your image for Crowd, very well done to you for taking the time and trouble to come up with such an original idea :clap:
You certainly found a wonderful location for Decay, they all fit the theme perfectly, they're sad to see but are strangely interesting as they have so much detail in them.
Those stones look very heavy indeed, you've added interest by choosing your distant focal point. I love visiting these old places aand I think the NT do a fabulous job of looking after them, even though they vary in age from 6 to 23 my grandkids all love visiting them.
Thanks Susie. Crowd was a lot of fun to do :)

Any of your shots for decay Lee, sad to see too. My pick is the #1 as just like it more.
Thank you Dave.

Lee, the stone capitals for me. Like these and the way you have worked with the focus
Thanks Chris.

As always, many thanks for taking the time to pop in and comment - it is much appreciated.

Weeks 21 'Whole' and 22 'Fragile'.

I've started to slip a bit over the last couple of weeks so I have done a couple of quick shots to catch up.

Week 21 - The Whole truth...
I had no idea what to do for this week and then I had this idea out of the blue.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2g6NTMZ]
Week 21 - Whole (truth) by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Week 22 - Fragile...
I found this tiny birds nest years ago on the ground under a tree. There wasn't any evidence of eggs or predation so I guess it was empty and the wind had knocked it down. I was fascinated at how intricately made it was and, for some reason, I brought it home. I'm glad I did now!
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2g6PaWm]
Week 22 - Fragile by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Thanks for looking.

I really like the Bible shot, maybe a gritty B+W would work well :thinking:

The nest good detail and a fascinating object I agree not sure the grass BG works though

Two cracking images there Lee!(y)
Whole: a simple and very effective image which is a perfect fit for the theme....divine inspiration one might say!!:giggle:
Fragile: Great detail and such an interesting (and certainly fragile) object. It certainly looks like it was a cosy home for whatever bird created it years ago.

I really like the Bible shot, maybe a gritty B+W would work well :thinking:

The nest good detail and a fascinating object I agree not sure the grass BG works though
Thanks for the comments Allan. I hadn't thought of a mono version of Whole. I agree re the BG on Fragile now I look at it again. It's a bit busy I think.

Two cracking images there Lee!(y)
Whole: a simple and very effective image which is a perfect fit for the theme....divine inspiration one might say!!:giggle:
Fragile: Great detail and such an interesting (and certainly fragile) object. It certainly looks like it was a cosy home for whatever bird created it years ago.
Thank you Gareth. I don't think my inspiration has ever been described as divine! :LOL:

That is a great take on whole, really like it and think it would look good in b&w. Fragile is another good image too.
Thank you Dave (y)

I've had a play with Whole and included two new ones. One wholly mono edited in SilverFX and the other edited in Photoshop Elements with a tiny bit of colour pop...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2g7gih6]
Whole truth mono 1 by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2g7g4u7]
Whole truth mono 2 by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Whole
A good bit of lateral thinking

Fragile
Very delicate, but also strong. Somethings can be both.

Hi Lee

Whole, a clever take on the theme, I think its too tight a crop, I feel a little bit more background is needed to give it balance. I like the B&W version more than the colour pop one just due to the wood grain being better.

Fragile, Lucky you kept the nest. Possibly a better background could have been arranged.

Pete

I like the first of the monos for Whole but I would have made it more grainier - perhaps even with a texture over it all. But it is still a good idea!

Thank you for all your comments on Fragile and Whole. Much appreciated.

Apologies that I haven't been around much of late. Life has somewhat got in the way!

The first is for Squashed and the technique of close-up. It's a bit of a PABD photo as I try and catch up.

Week 23: Squashed by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Week 24 I am a bit happier with. Take a moment of your time to remember...

Week 24: A moment in time... by Lee Francis, on Flickr

Many thanks for looking. I promise to get on with a bit of commenting now :)

Last edited:
Two great images there Lee!(y)

Squashed: PABD or not, it couldn't be a more fitting image for the theme!
Great timing and kudos for getting some great splashes in there....was this the result of many attempts (and thence ruined tomatoes) or was it created with some sort of fangled gadget?!
Time: Wow! Poignant and compelling indeed. Great colours and use of DoF.

Hi Lee,
squashed, Square crop suits it, nice colour across the picture, looks like you have got some juice captured to looking at the little white spots, for a pabd shot I think it works quite well.

Time, Lovely poppies, like your choice of focus here.
Thanks Michael - much appreciated.

Time: Very good take on the theme and as Michael said, the focus is spot on.
Thank you Bob (y)

Two great images there Lee!(y)
Squashed: PABD or not, it couldn't be a more fitting image for the theme!
Great timing and kudos for getting some great splashes in there....was this the result of many attempts (and thence ruined tomatoes) or was it created with some sort of fangled gadget?!
Time: Wow! Poignant and compelling indeed. Great colours and use of DoF.
Thanks Gareth. Only one tomato was sacrificed. I have built a new fangled gadget which, incidentally, is linked to you! It is an Arduino powered piezo impact detector and flash trigger which only came to fruition because I saw your water drop tutorial and got addicted to ordering goodies from BitsBox :D.

Moving swiftly on in my attempt to get up to date...

Week 25 - Full (circle).
Maybe a bit of a cheat / shoehorn for this one. I put the camera on the floor pointing upward and pressed the self timer. I then spun an LED on a bit of string above hoping to get one turn in while the shutter was open. That was a lot lot harder than I thought it would be but it kept me out of other mischief! This shot was about the best of the bunch.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gvNGzo]
Week 25 - Full (circle). by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Next up is Drink.
I had what I thought was a simple idea to capture Kitty drinking at her water bowl. The best laid plans and all that!! The bowl is normally in a location that I wouldn't have been far enough away so I set the camera up and moved the cats bowl to the lounge. Despite being shown the water several times, Kitty wandered off to the bowl's normal location and just sat there! After a fair bit of patience, Kitty came in and had a drink. Much cuddles and treat were awarded :)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gv5RJk]
Week 26 - Drink by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

As always, thank you very much for taking the time to drop by. (y)

Love the kitty pic :)

Love the poppy shot, very atmospheric :)

More super images from you Lee!:clap:

Full: Such a creative idea and so well executed! The blue really stands out well against the black, and the process by which you arrived at this image is very impressive too.
Drink: Great capture and purr-fectly timed!! (Someone had too):giggle: I bet it was moderately uncomfortable stretched out on the floor, finger poised on the shutter button, waiting for moggy to saunter over and indulge you! Well worth the wait though, you nailed the shot!(y)

Hi Lee

Full, so nearly there. I like the Image alot and think it is better not being the full circle, but for the Theme its fits.

Drink

Nice image of your cat, Its a shame pets don't understand english that well.

Well done against the odds.

Pete

Love the kitty pic :)
Thank you Dave.

Love the poppy shot, very atmospheric :)
Thank you Rick.

Like the idea for Full, nearly there.
Another nice take for Drink and finally, your patience paid off in the end.
Thanks Stan. I did think that I wasn't going to get the shot so I got up off the floor. At that point the cat decides to have a drink!

Full, like the idea here and the blue colour stands out nicely against the black bg.
Drink, Lovely picture of your cat Lee.
Thanks Michael (y)

More super images from you Lee!:clap:
Full: Such a creative idea and so well executed! The blue really stands out well against the black, and the process by which you arrived at this image is very impressive too.
Drink: Great capture and purr-fectly timed!! (Someone had too):giggle:I bet it was moderately uncomfortable stretched out on the floor, finger poised on the shutter button, waiting for moggy to saunter over and indulge you! Well worth the wait though, you nailed the shot!(y)
Thank you for your positive comments (and the pun!!) Gareth :)

All very good images Lee, but loving the drink one. Really is a cracking shot of your cat.
Thank you very much Dave.

Hi Lee
Full, so nearly there. I like the Image alot and think it is better not being the full circle, but for the Theme its fits.
Drink Nice image of your cat, Its a shame pets don't understand english that well.
Well done against the odds.
Pete
Thanks Pete. Much appreciated.

Thanks to all who looked in (y)

Drink is fantastic, great detail and the timing is bang on perfect. Brilliant, well done.

have to say love the cat pic too. interesting idea for full not sure its quite there though

I like both of those, FULL very original, great idea. DRINK, who doesn't like a cat picture!

Drink is fantastic, great detail and the timing is bang on perfect. Brilliant, well done.
Thank you Jim. Most kind of you to say.

have to say love the cat pic too. interesting idea for full not sure its quite there though
Thanks Allan. It was a bit of a rush job to try and catch up. Something for me to improve on for the next free week maybe...

I like both of those, FULL very original, great idea. DRINK, who doesn't like a cat picture!
Thank you Mark :)

On to week 27 and 28.

Week 27 - Dirty: This is an idea that got stuck in my head of things that could be potentially misinterpreted from a photograph when there isn't much information thus letting the observer make up their own mind about what may or may not have been going through the subjects mind...

Dirty (mind??). Mildly NSFW!

Week 28 - Wide: I had two thoughts for Wide but eventually went for the one below. Watching the F15s take off at Lakenheath with a Wide Open Throttle.
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gfNpAo]
Wide Open Throttle

My second choice for Wide was Wide Open Space. Also from a pleasantly sunny Norfolk...
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gyFjny]
Wide open space by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL][/URL]

I don’t think dirty is nsfw but as you say maybe it could be seen in such a way as for wide I think the second one don’t really know much about planes or have much interest in them to tell what’s going on

Superb images Lee, as always!:clap:

Dirty: Great, sharp close up and vivid colours. NSFW? I wouldn't say so, but you can't be too careful these days! ;)Nice work!
Wide: Fantastic work here! The aircraft's afterburner jet blast is mesmerizing! Really conveys the sense of power and acceleration - those 'bands' of flame in the exhaust are terrifically captured!
The panorama is very well executed, and is a picture perfect English summer scene. Very nice work Lee!

Back