weekly Leebert's 52 for 2019 COMPLETE! Week 52 - Out take.

Nice roughs - I got the file straight away ;)

I think 2 or 3 work the best but all rough so spot on theme wise
I wouldn't of guessed that 2 was a breeze block! Some really good images there Lee.
Loved the third and fourth ones! Excellent macro shots.
Wow you have been busy this week. Four great images spent ages flicking through to see ig I could think what they all were. Failed miserably on all accounts. For me 2 & 3 are the standout images.
I really like the waiting for a call and the watch in the pic really makes it work well.

As for the rough I think the macro shots are brilliant and really like them:)
Great stuff Lee. Why enter one when you can enter 4 eh :)

I love that last one. It's a weird looking image and I love how certain parts are in focus. It's like some sort of scientific funghi growing experiment
Nice roughs - I got the file straight away ;)
i like all of the images for rough, very clever takes on the theme!

Thanks all very much for dropping by and commenting. Much appreciated (y)

On to this weeks theme 'Object'. As luck would have it, I was working on a separate project around lunchtime today (1201 and 23.83 seconds to 1201 and 24.92 seconds to be precise). The 1.09 second project was quite a good success in my opinion so I have decided to use it for this week under the title "Identified Flying Object".

It is a sequence of seven photos the International Space Station crossing our Sun today. I find amazing and quite incredible that there are people inside it!

Health and Safety note - It goes without saying but I will anyway. Do not look at the Sun either unaided or through a camera or other optical device unless you have appropriate filters in place and you know what you are doing!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/R8hUGK]
ISS Sequence by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

That is one very good set for object Lee, love how you have done it with the ISS a great shot indeed for the theme.
Thanks Dave. Much appreciated. I was surprised how well it came out. There was quite a bit of research to find the right time and location. All for 1.09 seconds. My eyes were fixed to the atomic clock app on my phone - It would have been very easy to miss it!

Very impressive
Thanks for dropping by and commenting Allan.

Wow what a shot! Very clever :D

WOW! what a fantastic series of images, this really hits the theme and youve done a brilliant job! (it kind of reminds me of a Tie Fighter)

I must admit I was thinking it looked like a load of Tie Fighters. But not a million miles away with the space theme. Crazy to think there are people on board it. Nice take on the theme!

I will add another WOW to your collection, Lee! This is fascinating and you must be really pleased with your result :clap: I quite often look up at night when it's visible and stand in awe for half a minute as it zooms across our night sky, and - as you said - it's amazing to think there are people on it. Really well done.

Now you have explained it it makes sense, i thought it was a table tennis ball :coat:

Wow what a shot! Very clever :D
WOW! what a fantastic series of images, this really hits the theme and youve done a brilliant job! (it kind of reminds me of a Tie Fighter)
Not much more that can be said other than WOW.
To copy....echo what others have said....WOW!!:clap:
Incredible set of images!
Great technique and very well executed....astonishing!!
Not much more to say....very well done Lee!!(y)
That is great Lee, I have wanted to capture the iss like this but not managed it. I must dig out my solar filter and give it a try when possible.
Wow, now that is impressive. The sun looks magnificent. I read to think what level of ND you would need for this. Welder’s mask? :)
Totally impressed.
I must admit I was thinking it looked like a load of Tie Fighters. But not a million miles away with the space theme. Crazy to think there are people on board it. Nice take on the theme!
I will add another WOW to your collection, Lee! This is fascinating and you must be really pleased with your result :clap: I quite often look up at night when it's visible and stand in awe for half a minute as it zooms across our night sky, and - as you said - it's amazing to think there are people on it. Really well done.
Now you have explained it it makes sense, i thought it was a table tennis ball :coat:

Thank you all for such wonderful comments. I hope it's portrayed the same feeling I had when I looked through the frames on the back of the camera and saw this tiny black dot move across the surface of the Sun. It was a real Wow! moment followed swiftly by a 'I really hope it's in focus' feeling :LOL:

@michael23 Go for it! Please share any images you get :cool:

@gremlin16 I used a filter made with Baader Safety Film that filters out 99.999% of the intensity of the Sunlight. HERE is a link for it. Please don't use an ND filter or welders glass as, although they appear dark, they may let through infra red wavelengths of light that the eye can't see but can still cause severe eye damage (or sensor damage). It's really best not to take a chance.

My next project is to capture the ISS in front of the Moon. I use a web based app HERE to find when and where it's going happen. For the actual photo, I attach my camera to a telescope but a long telephoto lens can be just as effective especially if the camera has a smaller sensor such as a 1" or micro 4/3.

Object
Cool shot(s), I like the angle of the iss across the sun.
This may be a completely stupid question, but is it possible to capture this type of shot in colour? Or is it because of the use special filters that make it not possible?

Object
Cool shot(s), I like the angle of the iss across the sun.
This may be a completely stupid question, but is it possible to capture this type of shot in colour? Or is it because of the use special filters that make it not possible?

Thank you. The filter I used is generally known as White Light and is mono. The other main filter type is Hydrogen Alpha which is red in colour. I have taken some images in Hydrogen Alpha and then added false colour to them make them appear more Sun like.

Natural Hydrogen Alpha (not my image):
http://www.uvm.edu/~dahammon/manley/2003solarevent/prom1aLR.jpg

False colour (my image from my 2015 TP 52):
[url=https://flic.kr/p/eCVDhi]
TP 2015 52. Week 17 - Heat by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Other filtered wavelengths are available too such as Calcium K (again, not my image)
http://re.apaaweb.com/sun_LUNT152_20141021_G3_CaK-01.jpg

and, more recently, Magnesium filters have appeared (not my image either!).
https://britastro.org/sites/default/files/attachments/2018-04-28-1242_5_g6_ap40.jpg

I hope that helps!

That's a cool object image. Very well done for the theme there

That's one impressive image. Very well captured and a clever idea for the theme. I've seemed the ISS twice, once in the UK when it was just over the horizon and the other time in Cyprus here when it was more or less overhead.
That's a cool object image. Very well done for the theme there

Thank you very much for commenting Stan and Ian. Much appreciated :)

Week 9 - Wet.

I have to thank @GarethB for his amazing tutorial about capturing photos of water drop collisions for this photo. About an hour of fiddling with settings on my water drop controller on it's first outing and I wasn't expecting to capture anything. However, this photo caught my eye for this weeks theme. I've a long way to go before I get any decent shots but I thought this was a good start :)

[url=https://flic.kr/p/RdRVc6]
Week 9 - Wet by Lee Francis, on Flickr[/URL]

Agreed....stunning indeed!:clap:
Great to see your controller is up and running, and producing fantastic images so soon!
(The 'wet' theme was a gift for our 52s....but you beat me to it!!):giggle:
The colours are great and I love the dark background....the collision crown really sparkles!
Those little rainbow effects in the stem are super too.
Incredible work Lee!(y)

Very good splash well worth looking at the image on Flickr its much better on there

Love this image although you did take my idea for Plan C! What droplet controller do you have and can you point me in the direction of that tutorial please? I would love to try something similar at some point.
Love the colour of the image. You have done really well if this is just one of your first few shots. Very impressed.

That really is stunning, with the perfect background and colour, never mind timing. Jolly good show!

Brilliant image, love the colour too.
Wet ...what a nice picture, great colour and so abstract.
WOW!!! That is a stunning shot Lee, great lighting with beautiful colours just fantastic is all I can say.
Stunning!
Thank you all. The colour was just the first flash gel that came out of the pack.

Agreed....stunning indeed!:clap:
Great to see your controller is up and running, and producing fantastic images so soon!
(The 'wet' theme was a gift for our 52s....but you beat me to it!!):giggle:
The colours are great and I love the dark background....the collision crown really sparkles!
Those little rainbow effects in the stem are super too.
Incredible work Lee!(y)
Thank you Gareth. It was a timely theme for us both! Apologies for beating you to it! The rainbow bits are caused by a sheet of 'mirror board' that was opposite the flash.

Very good splash well worth looking at the image on Flickr its much better on there
Thank you Allan.

Love this image although you did take my idea for Plan C! What droplet controller do you have and can you point me in the direction of that tutorial please? I would love to try something similar at some point.
Love the colour of the image. You have done really well if this is just one of your first few shots. Very impressed.
Thank you Joan. Apologies for taking your Plan C. The controller is a home build unit. Details of that and a load of links to tutorials about getting it all up and working are courtesy of @GarethB. You can either click on the link in his signature or click HERE.

I have tried many attempts trying to capture water drop images but never able to have any success nor as good as yours so well done to you. :clap:
Many thanks Stan.

That really is stunning, with the perfect background and colour, never mind timing. Jolly good show!
Many thanks Lindsay.

Great shot, Have tried this a few times in the past and it was very much more misses than hits. Good Capture

Great shot, I really like the colours on it, it pops off the background nicely. And, great timing

Back